BPL Community Profile

Hamish McHamish (El_Canyon) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale USA
About Me Hamish McHamish has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Hamish McHamish

Showing 361 - 370 of 408 | Page: 1 ...22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

Forum » Thread

Lamina bags
It's not a -20F bag, but this guy has great things to say about his MH Lamina 45 bag; maybe the design and insulation make for a winner in the colder models too: http://www.hikeabovethecloud...

In GEAR » Any good synthetic -20 bags out there?
October 17, 1:51pm

BearPaw
"Bearpaw Canopy Tent (in cuben, with moderate beaks)" I'm working with John at BearPaw now on tweaking a Canopy Tent to be a little more Ray-Way in design. With a removeable bat w...

In GEAR » beaked tarps: a reasonable solution for muliple environments?
October 12, 1:04pm

hand straps
"You are making a joint by using the strap as a strong, tireless ligament. If you grip tightly, your hands and wrists will needlessly work and stress." This is how I use trekking poles...

In Editor's Roundtable » Effectively Using Hiking Poles: The Gas-Brake-Coast Method
October 12, 11:22am

_
Tom said: "I have considered these shaped tarps from a variety of makers, but in the end I think I'd just buy another flat rectangular tarp in cuben fiber from one of these same makers....

In GEAR » MLD Trailstar. The most versatile shelter?
October 10, 12:00pm

nice buys
For a couple of years now I've been wearing the long inseam boxer briefs by Champion (not the same pair for all that time, of course...!). They sell for about $9 at Target. They are stretchy ...

In GEAR » Nice Backpacking Underwear From Wal-Mart
October 07, 2:17pm

Ray's book
I'm reading through Ray Jardine's tarp book now, having not read his stuff for about 10 years or so. He still rants against the gear companies but I must admit it is refreshing to see him ...

In GEAR » beaked tarps: a reasonable solution for muliple environments?
October 07, 9:50am

tarp size
John, I'm going through the same process as you with very similar parameters. Similarly, I have determined that an 8x10 is just about perfect: a palatial overnight retreat for the soloist and ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Tarp Size Rules of Thumb?
October 06, 1:10pm

_
Neat link Steve, thank you. I'm trying to avoid tape due to added weight (particularly that ultra duty duct tape) plus in cold weather I have seen all sorts of tape adhesive give up, espec...

In Make Your Own Gear » What glue will bond polyethylene?
October 05, 3:37pm

bivys
Great discussion. Digesting all this, one could get the notion that a bivy sack is kinda useless. In dry, cool conditions where it adds some heat, you'd be better off with a slightly he...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Unmanageable wetness this weekend
October 05, 2:06pm

_
Great idea Brad. I did some searching and found that the typical bags used with impulse sealers are polyethylene. Maybe I can find one to borrow and experiment.

In Make Your Own Gear » What glue will bond polyethylene?
October 04, 10:32am

All Reader Reviews by Hamish McHamish

Hamish McHamish has posted no reviews.