BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 3541 - 3550 of 7608 | Page: 1 ...346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 ...761

Forum » Thread

Re: "Ultralight AM/FM radios"
"Crime and Punishment" is good

In GEAR » Ultralight AM/FM radios
March 30, 8:43pm

Re: Re: Splitting it up
"Peter said (on his blog): Once you start thinking about modifying gas stoves you’re just a short step away from joining the pedantic assholes over on Youtube and backpackinglight.com Th...

In GEAR » Fire Maple FMS-117T Titanium Stove Gas 98g
March 30, 1:28pm

Re: Re: Pot lifter
I ignored this before because I don't need a pot lifter, but I like the progression from 1st to 2nd version - simpler, I can see your thinking evolving "No, I don't sell the thin...

In Make Your Own Gear » Pot Lifter - MYOG
March 30, 12:40pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: World's Lightest Canister Stove with Auto Ignition
When I first turn on a conventional canister stove, I'll turn it up to a reasonable level. Then, after a minute or so, due to evaporative cooling inside the canister, the pressure will drop,...

In GEAR » World's Lightest Canister Stove with Auto Ignition
March 30, 12:25pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: No cheating
Good link I think Caroline is maybe several levels more advanced seamster than me : ) If you don't want zipper to seperate, like the bottom of a jacket, just cut off zipper, melt edge, se...

In GEAR » Tayloring rain gear
March 30, 9:47am

Re: Tayloring rain gear
If you want to make the legs shorter just cut them off? Or hem them - fold over twice and sew a row of stitches to hide the raw edge.

In GEAR » Tayloring rain gear
March 29, 9:18pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: World's Lightest Canister Stove with Auto Ignition
That makes sense that turning it down improves efficiency I wonder at what point it's too low? It's constantly loosing heat, so the longer you take to boil, the more heat you're los...

March 29, 1:09pm

Re: Source of info for sewing a cuben tarp?
suluk 46 http://www.suluk46.com/RandD%20-%20RD7%20Cuben%20Fiber%20Tarp.html some people tape the two pieces together, then run a row of stitches down the middle. Where the stitches are you have...

In Make Your Own Gear » Source of info for sewing a cuben tarp?
March 29, 10:34am

Re: Re: World's Lightest Canister Stove with Auto Ignition
It seems like the stove has little to do with efficiency - it just lets out fuel. Maybe if there was too much or little air or the burner could cause incomplete burning. The windscreen, pot, he...

March 29, 10:30am

Re: Re: older platys fit
and, you can just line up the Platy with the Sawyer bottle and eyeball the thread size. It's easy to see if it's different. Sawyer - good - 1/8th inch (4/32nd) Platy - bad - 5/32nd i...

In GEAR » Sawyer squeeze filter container alternatives
March 29, 9:10am

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.