Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 3541 - 3550 of 9178 | Page: 1 ...346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 ...918

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: "Clothing System Help"
Supplex shirt will function as base layer Also gives good sun and insect protection If you're buying a shirt, it maybe doesn't say Supplex. Should be a tight weave with no holes for ...

In GEAR » Clothing System Help
December 03, 3:00pm

Re: Lofty Fleece Layer
"lofty" and "fleece" are mutually exclusive. Fleece doesn't give very much warmth for the weight. One thing is, you have another layer of trapped air between layers. In...

In GEAR » Lofty Fleece Layer
December 03, 2:55pm

Re: Re: Leaking
hmmm... except ignoring the seam sealer (which might fail) then any water flowing down would flow into the seam, and then inside the tent. with the flat fell on the outside, if you fold it dow...

In Make Your Own Gear » 8-Sided Winter Tipi
December 03, 2:46pm

Re: ongoing saga
If you don't qualify for tax credit or subsidy, go directly with company, then you'll avoid WA exchange problems

In Chaff » Who is signing up for ObamaCare (aka ACA) on Tuesday?
December 03, 10:02am

Re: Re: MLD Speedmid Problems
web site says "This is a low peak style Mid. Best for 3+ season use."

In GEAR » MLD Speedmid Problems
December 03, 8:20am

Re: MLD Speedmid Problems
website says peak height is 4' (=48") not that different than your measured 46" They don't really specify how far the edges should be above ground to get that I like a peak ...

In GEAR » MLD Speedmid Problems
December 03, 8:19am

Re: Blind Seam
If you're making a decorative pillow, then blind hem is important If you're making something for backpacking, then you can just make a spiral stitch with the thread (barely) visible. Or...

In Make Your Own Gear » Looking for a way to sew the last seam on a quilt foot box
December 03, 7:53am

Re: 8-Sided Winter Tipi
71 feet of flat felled seams is no problem. Actually, with 4 sides, there's typically a seam down the middle of each panel so the length of flat felled seam is the same. Who is it that make...

In Make Your Own Gear » 8-Sided Winter Tipi
December 03, 7:46am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Alternatives to traditional baffles?
thru-hiker.com - 900 fill down $40/3 ounces questoutfitters.com - 800 fill $10.25/ounce wildernesslogics.com - 850 fill $7/ounce - should be available this week they say

In Make Your Own Gear » Alternatives to traditional baffles?
December 02, 10:28pm

Re: Re: Re: The whole world is my living room
I'll read Mother Earth News at library. I've subscribed before but I'm a cheapskate. Lots of good fantasizing about homesteading.

In On the Web » The whole world is my living room
December 02, 4:29pm

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.