Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 3541 - 3550 of 8769 | Page: 1 ...346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 ...877

Forum » Thread

Re: Sleeve, Justin? Thanks, Elliot
I have silnylon on the bottom - sort of hybrid quilt/bivy. Sew it to sides and bottom of quilt totally enclosed. Then I use no ground cloth. 1 inch air mattress goes inside and I sleep directly ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Your view on draft proofing a quilt
October 19, 6:51am

Re: Scout "leaders" modify Goblin Valley
you missed the duplicate thread http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=83141&skip_to_post=708143#708143

In Chaff » Scout "leaders" modify Goblin Valley
October 18, 10:55pm

Re: Re: Wax Cookers
I remember making the spiral cardboard in tuna fish can version in boy scouts aeons ago. Maybe it was a product we sold to people that bought it just to be charitable?

In GEAR » Your best gear hack/mod/invention/alternate use/improvisation?
October 18, 8:43pm

Re: Wax Cookers
That's like Davids's and the spiral and circle stoves in that article In the article they perfected that a bit - cross wick - basically just two pieces of cardboard in "cross" ...

October 18, 8:40pm

Re: The $17 trillion deficit
The other big factor is that the recession caused less taxes, more spending on things like food stamps. A big reason for the recession was the deregulation that occurred during Clinton, pushed b...

In Chaff » $17,000,000,000,000.00 and counting
October 18, 8:11pm

Re: Wax burners
You're 9 g to boil 300 mL = 30 g/L From article: crosswick is 6 g to boil 455 mL = 13 g/L circlewick is 10.5 g to boil 455 mL = 23 g/L spiralwick is 11 g to boil 455 mL = 24 g/L not to...

In Make Your Own Gear » Wax burners
October 18, 7:56pm

Re: Fire starters
I think the BTUs per pound (or whatever units you prefer) is less for cardboard than wax I think you want most of your weight to be wax And then you want the right amount of wick, like that ...

October 18, 6:21pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Wine Bladders
There's a BPL article about wax fueled stoves: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/candle_stoves.html wax has about as good as energy per weight as other petroleum fu...

October 18, 3:07pm

Re: Utah rock formation toppled
I've seen this reported briefly on the national and local TV news.

In Chaff » Utah rock formation toppled
October 18, 2:56pm

Re: Re: sleep
No, best privy is either in the Enchantments in north central Washington or Mt Margaret near Mt St Helens in Washington. Actually, several privies both places are about equally good.

In GEAR » Sleep system advice for NC mountains
October 18, 12:41pm

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.