BPL Community Profile

Eric Blumensaadt (Danepacker) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Mojave Desert
About Me Retired H.S. teacher, 10 yr. Nat'l Nordic Ski Patroller, fmr. XC racer, Army ROTC winter survival instructor, hunter, backpacker, former ACA moving water canoeing instructor, sea kayaker.
FINALLY have become a lightweight (not UL)backpacker.
CityHenderson
StateNevada
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Eric Blumensaadt

Showing 3501 - 3510 of 3592 | Page: 1 ...341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360

Forum » Thread

AND NOW...
...for the lightest STOVE... The BPL Ti wing ESBIT stove. Even W/ a small windscreen it's still very light. All the alcohol stoves require a windscreen for even plain breezy conditions. ESB...

In GEAR » lightest alcohol stove & pot setup
May 05, 7:20pm

Gerber Parabellum
I own two Gerber Parabellum knives. No metal handle liners bur VERY hefty engineering grade polymer handles and a Blackie Collins designed lock system. ALso the special sheath lets it be carried fo...

In GEAR » UL Trail knife
May 04, 5:23pm

Light Knives
America is presently in its "Golden Age of Knifemaking". Wealthy people all over the world buy high ticket American made custom knives. That said, as an American, I buy some very nice...

In GEAR » UL Trail knife
May 02, 12:09pm

SOY PROTIENS !
On the Perpetuem web site one finds it has a lot of SOY PROTIENS. Many women, my wife included, have recently stopped drinking "Silk" & other soy milks. Why? Because the soy ALSO c...

In GEAR » hardcore ultralight food
May 02, 11:39am

OLD GEAR USES
NO PWOBWEM! My heavy Dana Designs Terraplane is now relegated to winter backpacking only, as is my MSR Dragonfly stove and TNF Tadpole tent. Gotta usem 'til they fall apart. It's not ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Old gear - New use
April 30, 11:01am

HMMMMM...
When not hiking I could use this to keep my Playboy mags in & keep my wife from throwing them in the trash. Hmmmmmm... Other uses also come to mind. How about ans insulated model for persona...

In GEAR » Sub 15 oz bear deterrent...
April 30, 10:57am

STAY IN YOUR TENT
Javier, No sleeping bag, even with the new glued seams & synthetic fill, will keep you dry outside on foggy nights. That's asking too much of any fabric, save perhaps eVent. But no bags ar...

In GEAR » Sleeping in foggy nights
April 29, 6:56pm

Re: Outer layer - Drew's right
I'd aree W/ Drew on the Patagonia Micropuff jacket & vest. I have Thermolite Extreme jacket and pants. They are very warm under Gore-Tex shells yet light and very packable in 1/2 liter siz...

In GEAR » I need help finding a lightweight warmth layer
April 29, 5:08pm

CABELA'S
I have Cabela's Gore-Tex Pac Lite parka (in Tall size to cover my butt better) It's $89. in that size and has many well thought out features. No pit zips but for that price you can have ...

In GEAR » suggestions for WET WET WET westcoast raingear
April 27, 10:44pm

NICE TO KNOW
Thanks for the tip on NEVER putting an empty JetBoil pot on the flame. I don't have a JetBoil stove but I do have the 1.5 L. pot and use it on all my stoves from ESBIT and alcohol stoves to ...

In GEAR » Retractable Jetboil Utensils
April 26, 12:44am

All Reader Reviews by Eric Blumensaadt

Showing 1 - 10 of 28 | Page: 1 2 3

Review

Category

Tarptent Scarp 2
I purchased the Scarp 2 SPECIFICALLY for 4 season use. I knew I would modifiy it for winter use when I purchased it. The Scarp 2 is my 3rd Tarptent, following a Contrail and Moment SW. Like them it...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
November 02, 8:09pm

Allen and Mike's Backcountry Ski Book
"Allen & Mike's Really Cool Backcountry Ski Book" is the very best book on teh eop I have ever read - and I've read most of them in the last 40 years of backcountry skiing and ca...

In Books and Media
October 24, 8:01pm

REI Kimtah
Recently got the REI Kimtah eVent parka and on a Ruby Mountains, Nevada backpack found it to be as good a wind jacket as it is a rain parka. The sale price was $159.95 which is 30% off the regular ...

In Clothing - Raingear
October 03, 1:45am

Eddie Bauer Down Sweater
I purchased an Eddie Bauer Down Sweater (their term) on sale this summer for $89. It was reviewed by Will Riveted in his extensive articles of light down jackets and got a favorable, "middle-o...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
October 27, 8:15pm

Thermarest Trail Pro Regular
I won my Trail Pro regular at a Sierra Club Outings leaders training seminar, otherwise I would not have spent the money B/C I seldom car camp. But now I have an alternative for a winter ski camping m...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
May 03, 9:56pm

Brunton Crux
I bought the Brunton Flex because of its wider burner ring for better heat distribution so I wouldn't get a hot spot on the bottom of my pot when cooking. I was not aware that there was a Brunt...

In Stoves - Canister
January 29, 9:38pm

tarptent moment
I give the Moment a "5" because I feel it is currently the best solo single wall tent design. It has great quality, innovative design and excellent attention to detail. My previous solo ...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
December 24, 12:52pm

Carbelas GORE-TEX® PacLite® Rainy River Parka
Cabela's Rainy River GTX PacLite parka (and pants) are THE bargain in good quality, lightweight, breathable rainwear at the 2010 regular $99. price. The Taslanized fabric is a matte finish, unlike...

In Clothing - Raingear
August 08, 12:10am

Vargo Triad XE
The XE version of Vargo's Triad is an improvement in several ways. 1. After I complained of the original removable alcohol burner being too small the company owner responded by making it larger...

In Stoves - Alcohol
May 18, 8:51pm

Brunton Flex
This is the newer version of the Prumus/Brunton Crux canister-top stove and appears to have corrected faults reported by Crux owners. First the number of fold-out pot supports has increased from 3...

In Stoves - Canister
May 10, 3:38pm