Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Scott Bentz (scottbentz) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me I live in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. I can get to a lot of nice hiking areas right from my street or travel for 15 minutes to higher elevations in the Angeles National Forrest. I started packing again with my sons in their Boy Scout troop. I was definitely not light that first trip 6 years ago and have been reducing my pack weight ever since. I mainly pack a few times a year in the Eastern and Western Sierras.
My PDF Gear ListNorth Lake South Lake 2012

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Scott Bentz

Showing 351 - 360 of 436 | Page: 1 ...25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

Forum » Thread

Pre-Trip Hikes
I would hate to have a kid that is unmanageable on a trip like this. We all know boys will be boys and that's what is fun sometimes. But if a kid is going to stink up the trip for someone else ...

In Philmont » Kid and Dad are a handful
December 01, 4:20pm

Stoves and Fuel
We used canister stoves. 3 in total but only needed 2. 2 Primus Micorn stoves and one MSR Pocket Rocket. We also took 16 oz canisters. 3 in total for a crew of 12. Next time I would use 8 oz. can...

In Philmont » Backpacking Light @ Philmont
November 18, 3:38pm

Leave No Trace #4
I love campfires but have also noticed it is more and more restricted. Fire suppression hasn't helped at all since there is so much fuel out there. Principle #4 MINIMIZE CAMPFIRE IMPACTS ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Campfires in the backcountry
November 17, 6:35pm

Me too!
If Tad doesn't want it I'd buy it from you. My son has been looking for a tarp to sew for some time now. Scott

In Gear Swap » Ray-Way Tarp Kit and NetTent Kit
November 03, 4:54pm

Bearikade Rental
Was it mentioned that Bearikade has a rental program also? Check them out on-line. It's what most of the rangers carry (probably at their own expense). Scott

In GEAR » Bear Canister Rental on JMT
October 21, 1:10pm

Lighten Up
I would love to give you my DVD but I can't remember who I loaned it to. They are pretty cheap though at $5.00 a copy. Probably costs more to ship it. We are also an LDS troop. I know your c...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » How do you lighten up Adults
October 03, 12:25pm

Contrail Photos
I really like the Contrail. I would be glad to use it for 2 if it were for a few nights. I think for me it would be too tight for extended use. I'm as tall but weigh a lot more than those kids....

In GEAR » Tarptent Recommendations?
October 02, 4:24pm

How To?
We do a lot of the above. This year the troop gave me the time at a troop meeting to explain the ideas and techniques behind lightweight packing. I started with the "Lighten Up" video....

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » How do you lighten up Adults
October 02, 2:01pm

2 In a Contrail
My son and another kid squeezed into a Contrail this summer on a 10 day hike. It rained a number of times and they never got wet beyond normal condensation you find in single wall tents and two bre...

In GEAR » Tarptent Recommendations?
October 02, 1:39pm

Whisper
See PM on Whisper

In Gear Swap » FS: TarpTent, Vapr side zip bivy, GG pack, GoLite, UL60, GG poles and more
September 29, 11:07am

All Reader Reviews by Scott Bentz

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

MSR MIOX
We used a MSR Miox on a trip with 9 people (Scouts). We got very spotty results and ended up playing with the unit more than we wanted. It seemed like the perfect solution but was not worth the wait. ...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
June 03, 5:04pm