Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

John Whynot (jdw01776) - BPL Guest

My Locale Southeast Texas
About Me Hiking and backpacking (on and off) since 1976, mainly in the northeastern United States.
CityHouston
StateTX
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Whynot

Showing 351 - 360 of 557 | Page: 1 ...27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ...56

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: empty gigapower canisters
Mine also weighs 2.0 ounces. But the pot supports are better than the Pocket Rocket I used previously. More stable than the Pocket Rocket also. I don't run mine at full power to boil water. ...

In GEAR » ? wt of empty gigapower canisters
April 17, 7:42pm

Re: ? wt of empty gigapower canisters
Convert the net weight of fuel to ounces and subtract from the full canister weight to get the empty canister weight...

In GEAR » ? wt of empty gigapower canisters
April 17, 6:30pm

Re: Re: Re: Carrying snake anti-venom
@Konrad -- Apparently, Coral Snake antivenin it is no longer being manufactured in the US. Google CroFab, and you'll find out more than you want to know. CroFab is for pit vipers. It certain...

In Philosophy & Technique » Carrying snake anti-venom
April 14, 7:53pm

Re: Carrying snake anti-venom
My understanding is that multiple doses may be required. I also believe that there is no longer any anti-venom available in the US for coral snake venom. Unless you have medical training, and th...

In Philosophy & Technique » Carrying snake anti-venom
April 14, 6:02pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: A little UL Philosophy Help Please
>>5) do more with less This is the most important part of ultralight backpacking to me. It's very satisfying to walk through the wilderness with a light and simple selection of gear...

In Philosophy & Technique » A little UL Philosophy Help Please
April 06, 7:27pm

Re: Hydropel tips
I only use it when I am expecting my feet to be wet and cold. I apply before they get wet. It's much easier to apply when warmed up a bit...

In Philosophy & Technique » Hydropel tips
April 06, 7:13pm

Re: Thanks for the help
>>Adirondack high peaks Don't forget the bear canister if you're in the eastern High Peaks area...

In Gear Lists » 3 season gear list
April 05, 7:13pm

Re: Re: Solar Water Purification
It's the UV-A that does the purification. Description of technique.

In Make Your Own Gear » Solar Water Purification
April 04, 5:23pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: What's Missing?
>>God, I thought that mouse boots were banned by the Geneva Convention! Pretty much standard-issue for winter backpacking in the Northeast 30+ years ago. Crampon use with them was an adventu...

In Winter Hiking » BPL "Winter Footwear" articles
April 04, 10:49am

Re: Re: What's Missing?
> Overnight Camping REQUIRES boots be kept dry. I'd say it depends on the type of footwear used... When I was actively winter camping I used military surplus vapor barrier boots -- didn&...

In Winter Hiking » BPL "Winter Footwear" articles
April 04, 9:56am

All Reader Reviews by John Whynot

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

StickPic camera mount
A clever, well-engineered, and lightweight (0.35 ounces by my scale) gadget for mounting a camera on the tip of a trekking pole. Should work with any compact camera with a tripod socket. Works ver...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
June 16, 10:55am

BPL Thorofare Trekking Pants
I purchased these as a replacement for my overbuilt Montbell Stretch Windpants. The fabric of the Trekking pants is a microgrid ripstop nylon, with a slightly textured inner surface. Size medium...

In Clothing - Raingear
December 07, 8:31pm