BPL Community Profile

Scott Bentz (scottbentz) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me I live in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. I can get to a lot of nice hiking areas right from my street or travel for 15 minutes to higher elevations in the Angeles National Forrest. I started packing again with my sons in their Boy Scout troop. I was definitely not light that first trip 6 years ago and have been reducing my pack weight ever since. I mainly pack a few times a year in the Eastern and Western Sierras.
My PDF Gear ListNorth Lake South Lake 2012

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Scott Bentz

Showing 341 - 350 of 417 | Page: 1 ...23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

Forum » Thread

Whisper
See PM on Whisper

In Gear Swap » FS: TarpTent, Vapr side zip bivy, GG pack, GoLite, UL60, GG poles and more
September 29, 11:07am

Amsteel Rope
Some one said: "The cable is pretty abrasive and I don't know how lightweight stuff would work. Anyone do anything differently?" Amsteel rope is what we used. It worked perfectly. ...

In Gear Lists » Philmont gear selection..
September 25, 6:56pm

Mixing Milk
I find one of the problems with powdered milk is getting it mixed properly. I like to take along a 12 oz. water bottle and mix it in the bottle by shaking. What really makes it taste good is mi...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Best powdered milk?
September 25, 6:50pm

Gossamer Gear G5 "Whisper"
I would be interested in a Whisper but I am a bit confused about the "G5" part. From what I remember a Whisper is a G6 and is much smaller than the G5. Do you know for sure whether it is ...

In Gear Swap » FS: TarpTent, Vapr side zip bivy, GG pack, GoLite, UL60, GG poles and more
September 24, 11:15am

Location of Canister
The last time I used a canister I found it best when placed right on top of the pack. Make sure the pack is compressed vertically and place it on top with the Y strap on most packs. I did not like ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Bear Canisters & ULA Conduit
September 23, 3:03pm

Whisper
Christopher please see my PM regarding the Whisper G6. Thanks, Scott

In Gear Swap » FS: Stuff
September 23, 2:42pm

Nice Photos/Story
Andrew, That is a great story. I would love to hike this. Maybe 2010 since next summer I'll be hiking the JMT for the first time with my wife and 2 kids. Thanks for the report.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Sierra High Route
September 18, 4:29pm

Manure
"One horse is going to leave more manure all over the ground than 10 boy scouts." Yes, but if you had to step in a scouts manure it wouldn't be the same as stepping in a pile of ho...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Scout Gear List
September 16, 10:37am

The One Comments
I have used The One this summer. A friend of mine also bought one. The usual problems crept up in ours; the rope they used for tie outs came undone. My friend never got his rear tie outs the same a...

In GEAR » GG One - What's wrong?
September 15, 5:37pm

Newbie to Poles
I hiked this year the first time for 2 weeks with poles. Used them for my tent set up. Anyway, what I liked about the poles is they kept my hands from swelling a lot. Just like giving blood. A litt...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Hiking poles and necessity for Ultralighters
September 15, 4:06pm

All Reader Reviews by Scott Bentz

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

MSR MIOX
We used a MSR Miox on a trip with 9 people (Scouts). We got very spotty results and ended up playing with the unit more than we wanted. It seemed like the perfect solution but was not worth the wait. ...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
June 03, 5:04pm