BPL Community Profile

Diane Pinkers (dipink) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Western Washington
About Me I started backpacking again in 2008, after a long hiatus---I haven't been since I was a kid. Loving learning about a different way to hike---backpacking was no fun when I was a teen-ager, stuff was too heavy! Completed my dream of hiking the Wonderland Trail in 2010, now onto more hikes in the Cascades and Olympics.
StateWashington
CountryUS

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Diane Pinkers

Showing 341 - 350 of 528 | Page: 1 ...26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ...53

Forum » Thread

dates from Costco
Do they have sugar in them? I was very unhappy when I found out their dried mango/berry combo was heavily sugared--I love that stuff, especially with the two varieties of mango, but can't take...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » one old recipe
November 20, 11:13am

Pemmican
Could someone share their tips/tricks with making Pemmican? I love the Tanka bars, but would rather not have the sugar (in the cranberries). I'd rather be able to use some honey to sweeten in...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Paleo breakfast for the trail
November 20, 11:09am

quinoa not paleo
Thanks, Branko, I was pretty sure it wasn't, but if you have to have a grain, quinoa's probably better than most due to its protein content. The seed/grain line is rather hard to figure so...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Paleo breakfast for the trail
November 20, 11:01am

km matchcase
Dale, how heavy is your KM matchcase? I was suprised by the dimensions and heft of the brass long ones, guess I didn't really pay attention to the dimensions on the web-site.

In GEAR » Altoids tin kits
November 20, 10:52am

kindle
This is where a Kindle comes in very handy--hundreds of books, magazine, blogs at my fingertips, for very little weight penalty--6 oz. Battery life lasts a long time if the wireless is turned off,...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » ended trip early
November 18, 10:06am

clothing
Extra change of clothing--not necessary. Just make sure you have clothing you can layer parts over each other. I do recommend having dry layers to sleep in, but changing shirts while on the trail...

In Gear Lists » Wonderland Trail July 2012 gear list
November 18, 10:01am

Lightweight, very warm, renewable, cruelty-free
Merino wool works well, but if you can locate alpaca, alpaca/wool blend, or angora/wool blend gloves, those will be lighter and warmer, more comparable to the possum down, especially the alpaca/woo...

In GEAR » Possum Down Gloves — Ethical Alternative?
November 17, 9:41am

breathability
Given the general lack of true breathability in rainwear, is this feature worth the extra weight? Does it really give significant lack of condensation vs. the 3.8ounce bivy? I constantly osci...

In GEAR » AMK Escape Bivy breathable
November 16, 11:42am

camping spots on WT
The other place I'd recommend avoiding as a camping spot if possible is Devil's Dream. If you draw it as a campsite, make sure you tank up with enough water to get through dinner and break...

In Gear Lists » Wonderland Trail July 2012 gear list
November 13, 11:25am

CD mirror
I like the idea of a CD--lighter weight than a typical signalling mirror. I have a mirror in my compass--the one reason I haven't junked my heavy sighting compass that was required for the Mou...

In Philosophy & Technique » concerning signalling mirrors
October 26, 9:22pm

All Reader Reviews by Diane Pinkers

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Montbell Outpace Parka
The Outpace Parka is a decent jacket, but it has some design details that could be better. It sheds rain really well. It is pretty light and packable. Its breathability seems to be fairly good, alth...

In Clothing - Raingear
January 19, 11:54am