Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

John S. (jshann) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale John S. hasn't told us about their geographical region yet.
About Me Originally from Louisiana, I enjoyed camping in my Boy Scouting days and eventually became an Eagle Scout. Many years later (2002), I discovered backpacking after going on an REI multisport trip to Alaska. My first backpack was to Grand Canyon, and I was hooked!
CityDallas
StateTexas
CountryU.S.A.
My Website URLhttp://tinyurl.com/2rr6nx
My PDF Gear ListSample Gearlist

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John S.

Showing 3391 - 3400 of 3727 | Page: 1 ...331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 ...373

Forum » Thread

Re: Thanks
An alternative to heavier separate rain jackets is to use a dropstoppers jacket under your windshirt. That jacket is cheap and sold on BPL. You can wear it over a windshirt in open territory or und...

In GEAR » Questions regarding all layers of clothing
December 31, 6:19am

Re: Re: Re: Winter tent stakes
Small tough plastic cups with holes in the bottom. Yogurt cups? Let us know your results. I also thought about half inch wood dowel cut to six inch segments and used as deadman anchors, similar ...

In Winter Hiking » Winter tent stakes
December 30, 7:28pm

Re: Winter tent stakes
Why can't aluminum tin slightly bent in the shape of the SMC T-anchors with some holes knocked in be used? I know I know...the metal fatigue or weakness of aluminum. Why would that matter when...

In Winter Hiking » Winter tent stakes
December 30, 1:43pm

Re: Backpacking is not free
The next thing you know those ozone scientists are going to try and tell me that humans evolved from apes..what a laugh!

In Philosophy & Technique » I like nature- I am a dirty, crunchy, organic-eating, bike-riding hippie.
December 30, 10:53am

Re: Re: Re: when you can't rely on DWR
Richard, do you use the mysterioso alone for kayak surfing in those water temps? I am looking for something to go under clothing for Texas winter kayaking where waters probably do not get below 50 ...

In Editor's Roundtable » A Lightweight Guide to Backpacking in Sustained, Cold Rain
December 29, 10:14pm

Re: when you can't rely on DWR
My current rain jacket is a montane lightspeed OVER a driducks/dropstopper jacket. An outer DWR isn't needed in that case. People have reported hiking the entire AT using one pair of Frogg Togg...

In Editor's Roundtable » A Lightweight Guide to Backpacking in Sustained, Cold Rain
December 27, 3:39pm

Re: Skurka to give slideshow in Duluth
I saw Andy's show in Dallas and it was great!

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Skurka to give slideshow in Duluth
December 22, 11:16am

Re: Efficiency of dietary vs stored fat
Great question. If nobody answered, I will see what I can find. Some awesome medical biochemistry stuff is at the url posted. Click on handouts and go to lipid metabolism. The most awesome are the ...

In Editor's Roundtable » A Case Study of Unsupported, Roadless, Long Distance Trekking: Part 1. Pack Weight, Distance, and Caloric Balance
December 21, 9:37pm

Re: Which fat is metabolically more efficient?
Tom, the body will use up dietary fat before utilizing stored fat. The efficiency of fat as a fuel is the same whether dietary or stored.

In Editor's Roundtable » A Case Study of Unsupported, Roadless, Long Distance Trekking: Part 1. Pack Weight, Distance, and Caloric Balance
December 21, 4:45am

Re: How to identify Pertex Quantum?
I think it must have a pertex quantum tag somewhere?

In GEAR » How to identify Pertex Quantum?
December 19, 10:34am

All Reader Reviews by John S.

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

GoLite Dawn
I have had this pack for several years and have taken it on multiple backpacks ranging from 2 days to 6 days. My pack weights have been over 15 pounds a few times with no problems. The materials and w...

In Backpacks - Frameless
May 09, 12:05pm