BPL Community Profile

Mike M (mtwarden) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Montana
About Me Colin Chapman "Simplify and add lightness"
My PDF Gear List3 day "Shoulder Season" list- Rocky Mtns

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Mike M

Showing 3341 - 3350 of 3412 | Page: 1 ...323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342

Forum » Thread

ultra sil
the sea to summit ultra sil's are waterproof (roll top) and pretty light as an alternative also the BPL pack liners are under 2 oz's and everything would be waterproof within it ^ 2.5...

In Gear Lists » My General 3 Season Gear List
September 05, 2:26pm

Suunto M-3D
these folks think mighty highly of the Suunto M-3D http://www.traditionalmountaineering.org/FAQ_Best_Compass.htm I currently am using the Silva Ranger 27- nice and light at 0.9 oz and include...

In GEAR » Do I need a better compass?
September 04, 9:37pm

very useful info
gents- thanks for the advice thus far, much appreciated looks like there isn't an easy answer, which given the variables- I didn't really expect there to be one I think the advice of ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » mid-layer struggles
September 01, 9:12pm

a good tip
ahh- that a good tip that I could of used :) I'll know next time, thinking about a lightweight lid for SP 900

In Make Your Own Gear » Snow Peak windscreen weight reduction!!
September 01, 7:18am

improved
first JB weld will NOT hold up- it quickly caught fire and melted away, the titanium on the other hand has no problems at all w/ the heat I also wanted the windscreen to come up higher, so I cut...

In Make Your Own Gear » Snow Peak windscreen weight reduction!!
August 31, 8:58pm

mid-layer struggles
I'm struggling a bit w/ a mid layer strategy- I know there are many variables that influence choice (not in the least of where and when your hiking occurs)- the vast majority of my hiking will ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » mid-layer struggles
August 31, 8:17pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Wind Pants
Anna- they were talking about the UL ones, I didn't realize the stretch ones were more breathable- that's good to know- I do like the ankle zips on the Stretch ones and the fact they are a ...

In GEAR » Houdini equivalent in pants?
August 31, 6:32pm

different philosophy
Bill- I've haven't tried soft shell pants like you've mentioned, might have to for three season I spend 90%+ hiking in shorts, if it gets really cold I don a light fleece pant (Pata...

August 30, 8:49pm

leaving rain pants behind
Bill- would be leaving rain pants behind (at least on trips that I would pack these) the stretch ones look nice, like the ankle zips they (prolite) also has a ID pertex wind pant (~ 4 oz) how...

August 30, 1:46pm

walltetreaderrx
^ looks like these might be what your talking about- look pretty light/compact http://www.ballbeauty.com/wallet_reading_glasses.htm

In Multiple Use Gear » Reading glasses
August 30, 10:18am

All Reader Reviews by Mike M

Showing 1 - 10 of 33 | Page: 1 2 3 4

Review

Category

Petzl e+LITE
I thought I had added my review earlier on this lamp, but hadn't :) I've been very impressed w/ this diminutive lamp- if you're looking for a lamp for hours of night travel- this isn'...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
October 25, 12:08pm

Black Diamond Carbon Cork
@ 16 oz (pair) these are certainly heavier than some of the UL offerings, but still relatively light the FlickLock is about as solid of a adjustment as I've seen for trekking poles- I'm sur...

In Trekking Poles
October 18, 4:19pm

ULA Ohm
not sure why it's listed with the frameless packs, while not a robust frame- the carbon fiber/derlin frame is certainly a frame and definitely helps w/ the load capacity of this pack anywho- th...

In Backpacks - Frameless
October 13, 5:17pm

Montrail Sabino Trail
My first pair are over a year old now w/ ~ 500 backpacking/trail running miles- there is some light fraying here and there, but overall are still in very good condition. I've never had a hot spot...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
September 10, 5:23pm

Dirty Girl Gaiters
I'd probably go 4.5 just because of the needed velcro, but I like these enough I wanted to round up. They are breathable, they are light and they do a great job of keeping stuff out of your sho...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
September 10, 5:11pm

Osprey Talon 22
double post- whoops :)

In Backpacks - Frameless
January 03, 7:26pm

Osprey Talon 22
The Talon is a very full featured pack, that carries like a dream (w/ reasonable loads). I use it for snowshoeing day trips and it swallows up the gear- shovel, bivy, down parka, etc I love the be...

In Backpacks - Frameless
January 03, 7:22pm

Wet Fire Fire Starting Tinder
I'm a little redundant w/ fire starting stuff (boy scout in me I guess)- the wetfire tinders are my "if I absolutely need to start a fire" tinder. they will even burn in water or on sno...

In Miscellaneous Products
December 14, 7:49pm

Smartwool Beanie
my Smartwool beanie makes into both my day pack and multi-day trips, light weight, warm, takes up almost no space- I don't go anywhere w/o it going on two years and it still looks/fits great

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
November 20, 8:47pm

Moosejaw the company
I've made numerous transaction with moosejaw and they have always been smooth and hassle free. their staff is knowledgable and they frequently have the best prices on gear I do have one smal...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 30, 7:00pm