BPL Community Profile

John S. (jshann) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale John S. hasn't told us about their geographical region yet.
About Me Originally from Louisiana, I enjoyed camping in my Boy Scouting days and eventually became an Eagle Scout. Many years later (2002), I discovered backpacking after going on an REI multisport trip to Alaska. My first backpack was to Grand Canyon, and I was hooked!
CityDallas
StateTexas
CountryU.S.A.
My Website URLhttp://tinyurl.com/2rr6nx
My PDF Gear ListSample Gearlist

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John S.

Showing 3341 - 3350 of 3682 | Page: 1 ...326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 ...369

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Pulk Sled
Alec, did you decide to stay with that size pulk? It does seem like it's small for winter gear. When is your race?

In Winter Hiking » Pulk Sled
January 01, 6:23pm

Re: I was all pumped but...
Yep. stuff went fast. I waited too long to get a few small things. Maybe next time. What sucks too is they won't allow backorders. I was gonna get a firesteel and a Nalgene pen.

In GEAR » I was all pumped but...
December 31, 12:36pm

Re: MontBell U.L.Comfort System Pads?
I own neither but have a thought : ). The torsolite is probably has a higher R rating and is more durable than the Montbell, simply by looking at the weights and dimensions of the two pads. The Mon...

In GEAR » MontBell U.L.Comfort System Pads?
December 31, 12:35pm

Re: Re: Permethrin
I stopped carrying deet early on after I saw I could use clothing better to avoid mosquitos. The only thing exposed on me is my head and I'd rather cover it with a headnet than put that naksty ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Which one first?
December 31, 12:29pm

Re: Re: BPL Credibility
Gossamer Gear is selling the DriDucks, not the Drop Stoppers. They are the same material. The Drop Stoppers is a little darker tan and maybe has a smoother outer suface.

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » BPL Credibility
December 31, 12:23pm

Re: Thanks
An alternative to heavier separate rain jackets is to use a dropstoppers jacket under your windshirt. That jacket is cheap and sold on BPL. You can wear it over a windshirt in open territory or und...

In GEAR » Questions regarding all layers of clothing
December 31, 6:19am

Re: Re: Re: Winter tent stakes
Small tough plastic cups with holes in the bottom. Yogurt cups? Let us know your results. I also thought about half inch wood dowel cut to six inch segments and used as deadman anchors, similar ...

In Winter Hiking » Winter tent stakes
December 30, 7:28pm

Re: Winter tent stakes
Why can't aluminum tin slightly bent in the shape of the SMC T-anchors with some holes knocked in be used? I know I know...the metal fatigue or weakness of aluminum. Why would that matter when...

In Winter Hiking » Winter tent stakes
December 30, 1:43pm

Re: Backpacking is not free
The next thing you know those ozone scientists are going to try and tell me that humans evolved from apes..what a laugh!

In Philosophy & Technique » I like nature- I am a dirty, crunchy, organic-eating, bike-riding hippie.
December 30, 10:53am

Re: Re: Re: when you can't rely on DWR
Richard, do you use the mysterioso alone for kayak surfing in those water temps? I am looking for something to go under clothing for Texas winter kayaking where waters probably do not get below 50 ...

In Editor's Roundtable » A Lightweight Guide to Backpacking in Sustained, Cold Rain
December 29, 10:14pm

All Reader Reviews by John S.

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

GoLite Dawn
I have had this pack for several years and have taken it on multiple backpacks ranging from 2 days to 6 days. My pack weights have been over 15 pounds a few times with no problems. The materials and w...

In Backpacks - Frameless
May 09, 12:05pm