BPL Community Profile

John S. (jshann) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale John S. hasn't told us about their geographical region yet.
About Me Originally from Louisiana, I enjoyed camping in my Boy Scouting days and eventually became an Eagle Scout. Many years later (2002), I discovered backpacking after going on an REI multisport trip to Alaska. My first backpack was to Grand Canyon, and I was hooked!
CityDallas
StateTexas
CountryU.S.A.
My Website URLhttp://tinyurl.com/2rr6nx
My PDF Gear ListSample Gearlist

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John S.

Showing 3341 - 3350 of 3613 | Page: 1 ...326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 ...362

Forum » Thread

Re: Radiative Heat Loss CAN be dismissed in adequately insulated backcountry
I saw an older physiology textbook stating that lining garments with gold was good for reflecting heat. It mentioned that these garments enabled Arctic expeditions to carry less weight in clothing....

In GEAR » LAND-Shark Emergency Survival Bag - Experience? or Reviews?
November 17, 7:47am

Re: UL no longer matters..
The battery range is only 12 miles as Mike mentioned.

In GEAR » UL no longer matters..
November 17, 7:44am

Re: Using tarps when the ground is suboptimal; migrating from a tent
IIya, using a tarp/bivy combo is something that may take time to get used to. I personally like floorless shelters and use a Golite Hut 1/Equinox bivy combo for three season camping. In snow yo...

In GEAR » Using tarps when the ground is suboptimal; migrating from a tent
November 16, 6:06pm

Re: what does "boil and set" mean?
either way.

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » what does "boil and set" mean?
November 14, 3:01pm

Re: RE lighter
Paul, does the BD winter bivy have enough interior volume to house a -20F sleeping bag? I have heard it is volume limited esp if sleeping pads are inside.

In Gear Lists » Winter Expedition Race Gear List
November 14, 1:54pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: LAND-Shark Emergency Survival Bag - Experience? or Reviews?
Jason, did you check out the forum at Ritters site for more info?

In GEAR » LAND-Shark Emergency Survival Bag - Experience? or Reviews?
November 14, 9:32am

Re: Winter Adventure Racing
Good list Ryan. The pot size might have to be increased to 1 liter since that is the rule posted above. Alec is probably right in the XGK choice. Instead of the flint and steel, consider REI matche...

November 14, 9:10am

Re: Winter Expedition Race Gear List
1. Neoprene overboots instead of NEOS? (easier to run in) 2. Gossamer Gear nightlight torso plus full length thinlight (~6 oz) OR full length nightlight instead of MH pad? 3. Integral Designs Eve...

November 13, 7:11pm

Re: How do you signal without a mirror?
HAM radio.

In Philosophy & Technique » How do you signal without a mirror?
November 13, 6:35pm

Re: Re: Re: is a bivy neccessary
Johnathan, less guyline maybe but not necessarily less stakes. You can put up a tarp with four stakes. Scott, that 5 oz bivy will cost nearly double what the gatewood cape will cost, unless you ...

In GEAR » is a bivy neccessary
November 12, 3:56am

All Reader Reviews by John S.

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

GoLite Dawn
I have had this pack for several years and have taken it on multiple backpacks ranging from 2 days to 6 days. My pack weights have been over 15 pounds a few times with no problems. The materials and w...

In Backpacks - Frameless
May 09, 12:05pm