BPL Community Profile

Randy Martin (randalmartin) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado
About Me My primary pursuits are mountaineering (hiking with the goal of a summit) but I am beginning to re-kindle my love of Backpacking. In particular I have become a big fan of the Ultralight approach and love this website. I seem to be in a perpetual state of shelter/sleep system evaluation. My current setup for shelter is a GG SpinnTwinn with YMG Bug Bivy 1.0 (summer) or Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy(colder). Sleep system is Katabatic Chisos 40 degree quilt with Neoair short.
CityCastle Rock
StateCO
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Randy Martin

Showing 331 - 340 of 641 | Page: 1 ...25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ...65

Forum » Thread

Re: side/belly quilt sleepers: stopping the chimney effect?
A good quilt will have a draft collar and a way to synch down the top around your neck to seal out the cold (typically a snap and or draw cord). The best example is what you see with the Katabatic...

In GEAR » side/belly quilt sleepers: stopping the chimney effect?
July 30, 12:01am

Re: Best 5 day hike...small emphasis on fishing...within 5 hours of Denver
I would leave the dog at home.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Best 5 day hike...small emphasis on fishing...within 5 hours of Denver
July 28, 5:23pm

Re: Don't use just carbon.
David, you said "This is a routine aspect of my day job (cleaning up toxic waste sites) and a carbon filter WILL remove gasoline, benzene, chlorine, and many pesticides." Does Carbon r...

In Make Your Own Gear » Light and Easy Water Filtration for the Lazy Backpacker
July 27, 7:20pm

Re: Re: Level of Effort
I just edited my previous post to include some specific recommendations. Hope you have a safe and enjoyable time. Just remember that area sees very frequent afternoon thunderstorms and rain. Exp...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Weminuche
July 27, 1:51pm

Level of Effort
So when you say your buddy hasn't been backpacking before, are you trying to keep overall mileage/elevation gain down? What kind of shape is he in? Are you wanting to bag some peaks as well o...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Weminuche
July 27, 1:30pm

Wool is hard to beat in a mid-weight
$55 for a Smartwool baselayer is hard to beat. Having said that I really like what Patagonia is doing with their Merino baselayers by mixing with polyester which creates a smoother and more durabl...

In GEAR » Suggestions on baselayer?
July 26, 9:34pm

Re: best shirt for wicking and odor control in hot weather
I am not sure the motivation of your desire to have something not form fitting. A base layer that isn't form fitting will not perform it's function of wicking and dispersing moisture to the...

In GEAR » best shirt for wicking and odor control in hot weather
July 24, 10:07am

Re: Packing it in separate ziplocs
Ziplock that i am thinking of isn't capable of containing boiling water. You need something of heavier gauge. Perhaps you could reuse the original container if cleaned thoroughly in which cas...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Packit Gourmet serving sizes
July 24, 1:00am

Re: Packit Gourmet serving sizes
I think it depends on how much you did that day. For me after a big day I need 2 servings. In addition, with Packit Gourmet, like Mountain House, you are using the container the meal came in and ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Packit Gourmet serving sizes
July 23, 8:29pm

Re: To stay as dry as possible, should you walk or run through the rain?
For the non scientist types, if you are wearing no rain gear and just crossing the street then absolutely running makes sense, if you have no rain gear and have to travel a mile it doesn't m...

In Philosophy & Technique » To stay as dry as possible, should you walk or run through the rain?
July 23, 3:54pm

All Reader Reviews by Randy Martin

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Gear Bristlecone (Regular Length, Wide Width)
I have had the Bristlecone Bivy for a year and really appreciate the side zipper for ease of entry/exit. The mesh is just right for breathability and views. The stake out loops are nice when you wan...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
May 15, 6:03pm

Marmot Atom
The bag is true to it's 40 degree rating and when I sleep with insulating layers on I have comfortably slept in this bag down to the upper 20's. If you are cold in this bag at 50 then I suspe...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
May 31, 1:59pm