BPL Community Profile

Andrew F (andrew.f) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me Andrew F has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear ListEmigrant group trip list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Andrew F

Showing 331 - 340 of 757 | Page: 1 ...25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ...76

Forum » Thread

Re: What I'm Taking on my JMT Hike (this is how you do it)
Aaron, I'm surprised to see a stove and pot in your list since you've advocated no-cook in the past. I assume you are planning to do the trail in ~5 days... do you take the time to cook whe...

In Gear Lists » What I'm Taking on my JMT Hike (this is how you do it)
August 01, 10:04am

Re: PCT - Carson Pass to Tuolumne Meadows
Very cool, I'm looking forward to the pics. Sounds like you guys covered some good miles. I've heard about how nice Benson is... need to make it out there some time.

In Post-Trip Reports » PCT - Carson Pass to Tuolumne Meadows
August 01, 9:46am

Re: Aquamira and drink mix
Turbidity (cloudy water) reduces the effectiveness of ClO2. I wait the prescribed time before adding Perpetuem to water treated with Aqua Mira.

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Aquamira and drink mix
July 31, 5:56pm

Re: What are the most useful inexpensive items you carry?
Window film groundsheet Small repackaging dropper bottles from US Plastic Tiny (2x3 and 4x6") ziplock bags Homemade maps from Hillmap.com printed on 11x17 paper at Kinkos for $1/sheet Mini...

In GEAR » What are the most useful inexpensive items you carry?
July 27, 2:36pm

Re: SoBo JMT update
Thanks for the update Steve. I'm doing the JMT in a few weeks with Manfred K. I got some use out of my headnet this last weekend, but I'll probably leave it and my bivy at home for the JMT....

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » SoBp JMT update
July 25, 9:24pm

Re: Update.
North Lake/Lake Sabrina and Onion Valley are pretty popular trailheads. There should be lots of people there in August. I don't have any experience hitching out there, but the PCT folks seem to...

In Pre-Trip Planning » So I'm doing the Sierra High Route...
July 25, 4:31pm

Re: Eric
Going without a raincoat and proper insulation in the shoulder season in a rainy climate would be an example of poor judgement. (And to be wearing a T-shirt and jeans, as quoted in your story above...

In GEAR » Leaving the rain jacket at home... thoughts
July 25, 2:50pm

Re: raincoats and dogma
Is it unsafe to do the 1.5 mile hike on a summer afternoon in August to Delicate Arch in Arches NP without a raincoat? Of course not. Is it unsafe to go on a 10-day expedition to Gates of the Ar...

In GEAR » Leaving the rain jacket at home... thoughts
July 25, 12:01pm

Re: Solo: LeConte Divide and Goddard Canyon
M G, you can see my approximate gear list in my profile... only differences are I didn't bring a puffy jacket, and I added back in Tenkara gear, a SPOT messenger, a compass and an altimeter. ...

In Post-Trip Reports » Solo: LeConte Divide and Goddard Canyon
July 22, 6:22pm

Re: Kodiak Island
Outstanding! I can't believe you did those bushwhacking scenes twice. The snow bridge made me nervous.

In Post-Trip Reports » Hiking across Kodiak Island, Alaska
July 21, 11:28pm

All Reader Reviews by Andrew F

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

zpacks Company
I had the same experience as everyone else here. Joe got me a customized piece of gear on time and was very responsive to my questions and requests. Can't do much better than that.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
September 30, 10:01am

ULA Ohm
The Ohm is my go-to pack for trips that don't require a bear can. You can fit a Bearikade in it, but it's not very comfortable because it bulges into your back. I put a plastic frame sheet fro...

In Backpacks - Frameless
November 15, 2:15pm

Katabatic Gear Alsek
See thread with pictures and comments here: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=48962 I've used this quilt for about 20 nights no...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
November 15, 2:08pm