BPL Community Profile

ROBERT TANGEN (RobertM2S) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Lake Tahoe
About Me From planet Bllffftx.
CityReno
StateNV
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by ROBERT TANGEN

Showing 331 - 340 of 529 | Page: 1 ...25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ...53

Forum » Thread

Diamonds on your soles
Don't forget to check out "Icebug" brand shoes, sold at REI among other places: they have diamonds on the soles of their shoes. Actually, they are carbide steel spikes, but they stic...

In GEAR » Overshoes?
November 25, 6:03pm

Chicken Legs
I've tried the cut-off-the-foot-of-the-sock, but that tube that is left tends to migrate around on my particular ankles. I've had better luck using lace-up ankle braces, not for any bracin...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » Not using plastics on Rainier
November 14, 6:14pm

Pressure Breathing
I also find useful the pressure breathing technique described by Brett, but using it for every breath is too strenuous for my old, decrepit diaphram. Instead, I purse my lips, blow out under press...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » Altitude Sickness
November 09, 7:39pm

Is Cuben see-through?
Yes, sort of. If I remember the last time I visited their web site (they sell mostly to sail boat owners) it's made from fairly clear plastic sheets with strands of Spectra imbeded in it.

In GEAR » New Six Moon Designs "Refuge"
November 08, 6:29pm

Altitude Sickness
For what it’s worth: ScienceDaily (Nov. 2, 2007) — "How can some people live at high altitudes and thrive while others struggle to obtain enough oxygen to function? The answer for Tibetan...

November 05, 4:53pm

HACE?
I'm no expert, but "difficulty talking or performing simple tasks, etc., classic altitude sickness" sounds like it could have been incipient HACE, which I have heard can very quickly ...

November 03, 6:21pm

South Pass gear list
- You list “GG light trek 3 trekking poles 125 cm.” How do you carry the third pole, in your teeth? (Just joking.) - I own the Cuben version of the Oware cat tarp, and found it so difficult...

In Gear Lists » South Pass-Old Faithful.
October 31, 10:28pm

Cuben Alphamini
From the pictures at Oware, it looks like there are no vents whatsoever. Is this supposed to be a sweat lodge, like the Native Americans used?

In GEAR » New Bozeman Mountain Works Oware Cuben Alphamini shelter!
October 18, 9:16pm

Axes
In addition to the books previously mentioned, I really enjoy watching Jeff Lowe's video on Alpine Ice, and his 2-video set on Waterfall Ice. The WI set is way more advanced, however, than cas...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » Axe length vs weight savings
October 09, 10:20pm

Reliable source?
Trust me, I have documentary evidence to prove that my facts are 100% accurate. Unfortunately. He's had an operation on one shoulder, and faces an operation on the other.

In GEAR » Does NUNATAK need help?
October 05, 2:04pm

All Reader Reviews by ROBERT TANGEN

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Zpacks Arc Blast 60 liter
I received my Zpacks Arc Blast, the large 60 liter, 17.0 oz. size for winter loads, and love it. If you are worried about getting poked, don’t worry, the stays terminate at the bottom end BEHIND the ...

In Backpacks - External Frame
September 13, 6:24pm

Rab Boreas extremely thin soft shell
1. David Chenault: “I'm a huge fan. It's been a great layer for BC skiing thus far. I expect it to be fairly bug proof too.” 2. Noted mountain climber Nils Nielsen: “The last month I’ve be...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
March 06, 3:44pm

WalMart / "Starter" compression shorts
(Others have written that they like these, and I agree.) The WalMart / “Starter” compression shorts are: 1. Long enough to prevent abrasion, even if you have massively muscled, Greek God-like thighs...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
May 02, 1:12pm

MLD 2009 Revelation
Five Stars! I love the new 2009 Revelation from Mountain Laurel Designs! I haven’t wrung it out like Ryan Jordan did for the pack he recently reviewed, so I don’t have his detailed data base, but th...

In Backpacks - Frameless
May 21, 6:12pm