Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Scott Bentz (scottbentz) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me I live in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. I can get to a lot of nice hiking areas right from my street or travel for 15 minutes to higher elevations in the Angeles National Forrest. I started packing again with my sons in their Boy Scout troop. I was definitely not light that first trip 6 years ago and have been reducing my pack weight ever since. I mainly pack a few times a year in the Eastern and Western Sierras.
My PDF Gear ListNorth Lake South Lake 2012

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Scott Bentz

Showing 321 - 330 of 436 | Page: 1 ...24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

Forum » Thread

Mariposa Plus
You won't go wrong with the Mariposa Plus. Especially, with the new curved stays. Not the lightest of all packs but a lot lighter than what you are using. This is what I use. I plan to put my c...

In GEAR » GG Mariposa Plus vs. ULA Circuit
April 08, 3:52pm

Montbell UL SS #5
Yea, that can be a concern. I know it is rated at 40º but I used it two weeks ago while sleeping on a friends porch at Mammoth Mountain. Temp was down to about 32º and i was fine. Feet got a bit ...

In Gear Lists » John Muir 2009 Gear List
April 08, 3:34pm

John Muir 2009 Gear List
I have been working on my gear list for awhile thinking towards a 14 day JMT north to south. My son, who packs lighter than I, is going as is my brother and his son. I put this list together so I c...

In Gear Lists » John Muir 2009 Gear List
April 08, 12:30pm

Pitch
How about a park? It's not that hard to pitch. I just lay the stakes out close to where they are to go and stake out. I then go back and re-adjust. It's not hard to get a nice taught pi...

In GEAR » How do you pitch your Gatewood Cape?
April 06, 6:59pm

Extra Food
Along with my kids I hike a lot with scouts. We have an area we like to go to in the local San Gabriel Mountains. We walk into Little Jimmy camp and then the next morning hike up to and back from M...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » It's really cool when others do this in the backcountry!
April 03, 1:05pm

Wesley and The Philmont Way
Wesley, A few things come to mind regarding your post. First, if you are able to have a base weight of 12 lbs. AND have the extra Philmont stuff in your pack you will do great. I think I had...

In Philmont » Will they let you do this?
April 03, 12:23pm

Getting Started
David, It seems like your ideas are spot on. I have one suggestion. If you are using a tarp you may want to make sure you have some sort of bug protection since the tarps provide none. A head...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Lightening up Adults (again)
March 31, 10:56am

Parents
Requiring every parent to participate is not a good idea. However, by inviting all parents to participate, you can find reliable troop support. The one's that can help will do so. I started...

March 30, 6:10pm

Lighten Up
I found that we had to do training in order to teach the scouts and parents the necessary TECHNIQUES to go lighter. The first class I had was to show the DVD Lighten Up found at Gossamer Gear. T...

March 30, 3:57pm

Philmont Food
Philmont food is still heavy and BULKY. If you pay attention to the articles on this website you can substantially reduce your weight before going to Philmont. Some read the Philmont pamphlet an...

In Philmont » Will they let you do this?
March 21, 8:44pm

All Reader Reviews by Scott Bentz

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

MSR MIOX
We used a MSR Miox on a trip with 9 people (Scouts). We got very spotty results and ended up playing with the unit more than we wanted. It seemed like the perfect solution but was not worth the wait. ...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
June 03, 5:04pm