BPL Community Profile

Scott Bentz (scottbentz) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me I live in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. I can get to a lot of nice hiking areas right from my street or travel for 15 minutes to higher elevations in the Angeles National Forrest. I started packing again with my sons in their Boy Scout troop. I was definitely not light that first trip 6 years ago and have been reducing my pack weight ever since. I mainly pack a few times a year in the Eastern and Western Sierras.
My PDF Gear ListNorth Lake South Lake 2012

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Scott Bentz

Showing 321 - 330 of 426 | Page: 1 ...24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

Forum » Thread

Angeles Crest Highway
There's a lot of snow above 6,000 ft. on Angeles Crest Highway. I ski at Mt. Waterman each weekend. You could hike in from any trailhead in the area. Just a 45 minute drive up the canyon from t...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Suggestions??? Quick snowshoe/winter trips from So Cal
March 04, 3:59pm

Torso vs Full Length
I hiked all last summer with a Torso Lite pad. I also found that I had to supplement with a 1/8" Gossamer Gear Thin Light. If it the ground was cold enough I would also use my pack (Mariposa P...

In GEAR » Torsolite and Staying Warm
March 04, 1:21pm

I use 2 scales
I use 2 scales. One is a postal scale from Office Depot. I think it weighs up to 11 lbs. It has a tare function. I can put stuff in a bucket and get correct weights using that function. Many thi...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What I hope to achieve...
February 23, 7:19pm

Primus Micron
Edit: I guess I didn't read Rogers post carefully regarding the methodology of the test. I can't see how my Micron can be that much better than the other stoves on the post. Still like it t...

In GEAR » Stove Comparison
February 20, 3:28pm

WM Ultralite
I guess my WM Ultralite Super would be my most expensive single purchase. I could have had one for cheaper but could not pull the trigger when it was on sale. When I finally did get it I really nee...

In GEAR » Most expensive?
February 20, 2:27pm

Not as large as it seems
Diane, If you think a gorilla is a big pack remember that a G4 is a very large pack. My son sewed his own and cannot come close to using its capacity. I have the same issue with my Mariposa Plus...

In GEAR » GG Prototype
February 11, 6:41pm

Saw it on GG Site
I missed this post when it first came out. I saw the Gorilla on the GG site. What I like about this pack is the fact that it is cut narrower. I have a Mariposa Plus and since I rarely use all of it...

In GEAR » GG Prototype
February 11, 10:17am

Sitlight Pad
Christopher, You asked "Do the convolutions on the sitlight pad offer any benefits (comfort, ventilation, whatever) over a flat pad like the thinlight against your back?: To me it is the...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Packs that use pad for frame
February 10, 1:42pm

Put the Z-Rest on top
I don't use a Z-Rest but hike with many that do. You can either take a full size Z-Rest or one that's cut shorter. Just put it outside on the very top of the pack using the Y-Strap. I would...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Packs that use pad for frame
February 09, 3:42pm

Megalite
Put me in line if Dave does not want it. Thanks, Scott

In Gear Swap » F.S.: Western Mountaineering megalite sleeping bag
January 30, 2:49pm

All Reader Reviews by Scott Bentz

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

MSR MIOX
We used a MSR Miox on a trip with 9 people (Scouts). We got very spotty results and ended up playing with the unit more than we wanted. It seemed like the perfect solution but was not worth the wait. ...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
June 03, 5:04pm