BPL Community Profile

Scott Bentz (scottbentz) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me I live in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. I can get to a lot of nice hiking areas right from my street or travel for 15 minutes to higher elevations in the Angeles National Forrest. I started packing again with my sons in their Boy Scout troop. I was definitely not light that first trip 6 years ago and have been reducing my pack weight ever since. I mainly pack a few times a year in the Eastern and Western Sierras.
My PDF Gear ListNorth Lake South Lake 2012

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Scott Bentz

Showing 321 - 330 of 415 | Page: 1 ...23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

Forum » Thread

Waterproof Shoe Questions
Thanks for the replies. Roger, I guess that is how I feel regarding group decisions. I am sure we are not going to buy some expensive blister delivery devices. Joe, thanks for the links. They...

In GEAR » Waterproof Shoe Questions
January 27, 6:31pm

Waterproof Shoe Questions
My son is heading off to Yosemite for a school trip in a few weeks. Naturally, they have a long list of items to take. We are fine with all items except shoes. They ask for a waterproof shoe. They ...

In GEAR » Waterproof Shoe Questions
January 27, 1:19pm

Tried it, didn't like it.
We tried turkey bag cooking before our trek. We did not do that well. Too messy with people trying to scoop out their share of food. So, we decided to boil water and then each person would just put...

In Philmont » Backpacking Light @ Philmont
January 19, 1:30pm

Weight is an issue
Typically, a framed pack will be able to handle more weight. You need to know how much you are carrying. The bear canister does add a twist. Do you put it inside, outside, top, bottom, etc. I thin...

In GEAR » JMT, frameless or not
January 19, 12:56pm

Gram Cracker
Go to Trail Designs website and you will see the gram cracker is a slick little item that holds an Esbit tab inside a Caldera Cone. Using the cone it's a real effecient way to use Esbit tablets...

In GEAR » JMT Stove choice
January 13, 4:37pm

Weekend Prep Trips
Frank, You said "We've done most of the AT in Georgia, plan to do a section every other weekend for about 2 months before our trip. " Use these trips to really get comfortable w...

In Philmont » Will they let you do this?
January 12, 1:23pm

"Seeing a Canister"
The two times I have been asked whether or not I was carrying a canister they did not want to see it. I just knocked on the pack and that was enough. One was in Yosemite the other in Sequoia. On...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Bear Can Cheating?
January 12, 1:04pm

Tents at Philmont
I would highly recommend NOT to use Philmont tents. They are built to last through a few seasons and a few hundred scouts or adults. I think they weigh in at 7 lbs. with stakes (about 12 of them ne...

In Philmont » Will they let you do this?
January 06, 2:00pm

Heavyweight Beginnings
As a young scout in the early 70's I do not remember carrying that much on our 50 miler. A Kelty framed pack, sleeping bag, tube tent for 2, cook gear, food, etc. We ate oatmeal, rice and fish ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Heavy Weight Beginnings
December 01, 5:43pm

Pre-Trip Hikes
I would hate to have a kid that is unmanageable on a trip like this. We all know boys will be boys and that's what is fun sometimes. But if a kid is going to stink up the trip for someone else ...

In Philmont » Kid and Dad are a handful
December 01, 4:20pm

All Reader Reviews by Scott Bentz

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

MSR MIOX
We used a MSR Miox on a trip with 9 people (Scouts). We got very spotty results and ended up playing with the unit more than we wanted. It seemed like the perfect solution but was not worth the wait. ...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
June 03, 5:04pm