BPL Community Profile

Tjaard Breeuwer (Tjaard) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Minnesota, USA
About Me I like to get out and camp, but I don't like a heavy pack on my back. I love hiking, mtb-packing, xc skiing and ice skate touring.
CityDuluth
StateMN
CountryUS

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tjaard Breeuwer

Showing 321 - 330 of 373 | Page: 1 ...19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

Forum » Thread

Backpacking with a baby and a preschooler - Fall on the Superior Hiking Trail, Minnesota
Last fall we did our first family backpack and my oldest liked it so much she wanted to go again right away the next weekend! Who am I to argue with that, right? So off we went again. Our Octo...

In Post-Trip Reports » Backpacking with the family
February 13, 2:32pm

Obesity of the pack
…and my hope of using the Starlite died. I knew then that I’d have to carry my Arc’Teryx Bora 80 pack. Ugh – it weighs around 7.5 pounds empty! Had the exact same thing. What bears a...

In Post-Trip Reports » Four Preschoolers on the AT
February 13, 2:15pm

That's great!
It's great to see other families getting ot there and enjoying backpacking.encourages me to keep going ot with my girls.

In Post-Trip Reports » First Family Hike, Yosemite's Mist Trail, Oct 2011
February 13, 2:00pm

Thanks!
That is a true multi-use gear suggestion!

In Multiple Use Gear » Use a cup as an iPhone speaker
October 15, 9:57am

Just saw LL Bean has one
Ascent PrimaLoft Hooded Jacket, and it comes in tall sizes. No word on weight.

In GEAR » Looking for a New Synthetic Jacket
October 13, 9:34pm

Stake bag = rock sack
The Rock sack from the bear bag system can double as a stake sack. The bearbag system had storage for food. I stick the map and sunglasses in my pants pocket or backpack pocket

In Editor's Roundtable » Backpacking Checklist (Gear List): 3-Season, 3-Day
October 13, 10:21am

Could you add fly weight?
Could you add the fly weight? Currently some shelters weights include a alloy pole, some a carbon pole and some no pole at all. Since you can buy separate poles or leave behind the supplied one it ...

In Editor's Roundtable » State of the Market Report: Family/Group Backpacking Tents
October 13, 9:45am

More jacket thoughts
I was just looking online and it seems like the Marmot Ama Dablam girls is the best kids down jacket: Has a hood, cost the same as the Pata sweater, uses the highest fill power down and the lighte...

In GEAR » Need advice on sleep system for a family in the Peruvian Andes
October 09, 9:34pm

Better than all else if the stakes hold
I was at a tent show once. Hundreds of tents set-up including many expedition tents. Most were not guyed out with extra lines. 4 go-lite Hex tents (6 sided pyramids) all survived the stormy night ...

In GEAR » Large pyramid tent in wind
October 03, 9:41pm

Maybe not that much later...
You might not have to wait that long. There was a feature article a few months ago about a couple that hiked a long trail in the Pyrenees with their approx. 6 month old. It might actually be...

In Post-Trip Reports » Father, Mother, 2 daughters, 5 frineds and 1 dog trip
October 03, 8:15pm

All Reader Reviews by Tjaard Breeuwer

Showing 1 - 8 of 8 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Goosefeet gear Custom down parka
This review is for a custom down parka from Goosefeet gear. Par...</td>          
           <td class=

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
April 14, 10:24am

Enlightened Equipment Revelation X
Quality: The sewing is very neatly done, I have not looked super close at the fabric but from a casual glance I don't see any blemishes. Nice soft hand. Fit: I have a 6'6&qu...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
September 17, 12:30pm

Golite Hex 3
I was surprised to see we fit comfortably with our family of 4, while using the nest. By hanging it from a line between two trees, we have room for a double bag in the center and no pole to be knocke...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
April 06, 9:33pm

L.L. Bean Ultralight 850 Down Jacket
I returned the L tall I had ordered, as the sleeves were too short. I ended up with a Montbell in XL which had longer sleeves and was no more baggy than the L tall LL Bean.

March 08, 9:26pm

Montbell Down inner pants
As mentioned these are a nice and light pair of warm pants. Sorry for the exclamation marks but I have never found stock pants like this! The great news with these is that they fit very slim for...

March 02, 11:36am

mont-bell Thermawrap Parka & Pants
I got the womens size S for my daughter, who wears size 6(yr old) kids clothes normally. The lightest hooded kids parka I could find was the Marmot Amadablam. This is lighter, longer in the waist ...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
February 20, 9:08pm

02 Rainwear Rain Suit
The design is poor, with a crummy hood that doesn't cover my chin and no bill, short sleeves and body, wide opening at the waist and no articulation anywhere. Wimpy rainflap over a very porous zip...

In Clothing - Raingear
February 16, 8:48pm

Cioch Direct /Paramo custom
I have a Cioch Direct Glamaigh and can only echo the previous comments: It is as breathable as an uncoated windshell,but the liner makes it as warm as a windshell with light fleece underneath. So ...

In Clothing - Raingear
February 15, 9:04am