BPL Community Profile

John Vance (Servingko) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Intermountain West
About Me Thru hiked the PCT in 1983 and half of the CDT in 84. Backpacking since 1973 when I did my first 50 miler as a scout. Total gear nut and have dropped from a base weight of 35lbs to 10 - 12lbs and love spending time in the mountains even more. I typically get out for 2 week long trips and several weekend trips each year.
CitySalt Lake City
StateUtah
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Vance

Showing 321 - 330 of 471 | Page: 1 ...24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ...48

Forum » Thread

Bear Paw
I would contact John at Bear Paw with your request. I had him make me a custom inner for a Golite Shangrila 3 that was unlike anything available. In my case I sent him adetailed request with fini...

In GEAR » Inner Net for a 10x10 Mid
March 28, 1:31pm

Ski pole to trekking poles
I have been hiking with poles for 25 years or so. I moved from fixed length downhill ski poles with the big plastic break away handles, to some Leki titanium trekking poles about 5-6 years ago at ...

In GEAR » How important is the weight of trekking poles?
March 28, 8:52am

Bars
I like pretty much most all the bars but must admit that I am not that particular. One of my new favorites that hasn't been mentioned are the Mrs. May Trio bars. 1.7oz and 230 calories! I also...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Rank the Bars
March 28, 8:43am

Trying the philosophy of "too"
I dropped from a base weight of 35lbs (yes, you read that right) down to 15lbs in one fell swoop some 5 years ago and it was like a completely new experience. I have since whittled it down to 10-1...

In Philosophy & Technique » How light is light enough?
March 24, 11:59am

Bear Paw
I would recommend contacting John at Bear Paw. If you look under the custom section of his site you will find two examples. One is a true 1/2 inner tent and the other is more like a 3/4 and it is...

In GEAR » Golite Shangri La 3 half inner
March 24, 9:31am

Western Mountaineering too big?
I chose FF over WM based on estimated size/sales of the company. I really have enjoyed products from both but have switched to quilts full time and don't have bags from either. I do have seve...

In GEAR » Whats your top 5 companies?
March 23, 4:26pm

Top 5 "not so big"
In no particular order: Bear Paw Custom work Katabatic Gear Six Moon Designs Mountain Laurel Designs Feathered Friends

In GEAR » Whats your top 5 companies?
March 23, 2:07pm

Another big thumbs up!
John made me a custom inner for my Shangri La 3 which he has photos of on his website under "custom work". It's the mostly solid ripstop with a mesh door. He is great to work with a...

In GEAR » Bear paw
March 23, 8:38am

After WFA
My 1st aid kit shrunk after training as well. The only time I add a fair amount back in is when I am out with young scouts. They seem to find a way to injure themselves no matter what. On my o...

In Philosophy & Technique » For WFA+ trained folks: How has your first-aid kit expanded?
March 22, 11:32am

BD Epic Tents
I have spent many nights in the Highlight, Lighthouse, and Skylight in the Winds, Bighorns, and Uintas. For riding out storms for two in great comfort, the Skylight is a favorite. My only quibble...

In GEAR » Storm worthy 2-3 person tent
March 21, 3:17pm

All Reader Reviews by John Vance

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Chisos
This is from previous posts but I thought I would include it here as well. I received my Chisos with 2oz overfill and just wanted to update those waiting to hear a little more about my initial imp...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
June 06, 11:48am

Katabatic Gear Sawatch
I know I only have spent 4 nights using my Katabatic Sawatch, I wanted to get a review out for those interested that I have posted elsewhere on this site but not in the review area. I can say thi...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
June 10, 10:18am

Six Moon Designs Swift10
Now that I have some miles on my 2010 Swift I thought I would prepare a more thorough review. I have been using a 2006 SMD Starlight for the past few years and really love it coming from a brief stin...

In Backpacks - Frameless
June 10, 10:09am

Kookabay Custom Down Air Mattress (DAM)
I recently my pad from Bender yesterday and have to say I am impressed. The seams and sealing is very consistent, straight, and even. My custom pad used the standard 70d fabric and is 24" wide, 6...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 22, 11:08am