Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

John S. (jshann) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale John S. hasn't told us about their geographical region yet.
About Me Originally from Louisiana, I enjoyed camping in my Boy Scouting days and eventually became an Eagle Scout. Many years later (2002), I discovered backpacking after going on an REI multisport trip to Alaska. My first backpack was to Grand Canyon, and I was hooked!
CityDallas
StateTexas
CountryU.S.A.
My Website URLhttp://tinyurl.com/oh9pwel
My PDF Gear ListSample Gearlist

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John S.

Showing 3191 - 3200 of 3960 | Page: 1 ...311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 ...396

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Weight
Apparently I tore up stuff when I was young. My older brother would tell me I had the capacity to tear up an anvil ; P

In GEAR » A warning on REI Carbon Poles
December 24, 7:14am

Re: Bivy Bug Protection
I use a bivy (Equinox) in hoodless mode with an OR spring ring headnet. The noseeum is sorta stiff so it will stay away from my face okay when I pull the fabric upwards. I sleep on my back and side...

In GEAR » Bivy Bug Protection
December 23, 4:21am

Re: Golite ultra 20
Wonder if the ultra was orginally named the Venture, since Skurkas website mentions a venture quilt at the same weight.

In GEAR » 2008 Golite Sleeping Bags
December 22, 1:47pm

Re: A warning on REI Carbon Poles
The joint area is always the weakest part of any poles, IMO. I doubt it was the cold specifically, but would guess previous micro damage/wear to the joint area and then catastrophic failure when he...

In GEAR » A warning on REI Carbon Poles
December 22, 3:42am

Re: Utopia
The Utopia 1 (2 lbs) is similar to my Eureka Zeus 1 Exo (2.5 lbs with the floor and front door cut out), only better. But, there may very well be ice crystals floating in the air when you wake up i...

In GEAR » 2008 Golite Shelters @
December 21, 3:24pm

Re: Sportslick
Yep, I'd try sport slick before my silly suggestion of antiperspirant on the cheekages ; ).

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Overcoming Chafe for LONG hikes????
December 21, 3:15pm

Re: Why start with partial dressing:
Jason, regular wool or merino wool on the hat?

In Philosophy & Technique » Swim Crossing techniques/clothing
December 21, 2:09pm

Re: Any other sleeping techniques?
On the NPS site for the Guads, the forecast in the next few days is lows in the 20s. That is around 5,000 ft. You could be camping at a higher elevation with lower temps. A 40 degree bag won't ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Any other sleeping techniques?
December 21, 9:39am

Re: Re: Snow shovels and Northern lites questions
Doug, hi. Have you ever used the snowshoes that were taken on the Wilderness trekking III trip? I believe Atlas race.

In Winter Hiking » Snow shovels and Northern lites questions
December 21, 2:59am

Re: Re: Bear Spray
Alan, what is the make/model and weight of your fav .380?

In Chaff » Does your kit include a gun?
December 19, 8:13am

All Reader Reviews by John S.

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

GoLite Dawn
I have had this pack for several years and have taken it on multiple backpacks ranging from 2 days to 6 days. My pack weights have been over 15 pounds a few times with no problems. The materials and w...

In Backpacks - Frameless
May 09, 12:05pm