Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Mike M (mtwarden) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Montana
About Me Colin Chapman "Simplify and add lightness"
My PDF Gear ListBob Marshall Open 2015

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Mike M

Showing 3161 - 3170 of 3830 | Page: 1 ...308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 ...383

Forum » Thread

real men
well I'm neither a Scot nor PNW pothead, but would like to consider myself in that group of real men :) my ex light will likely find itself into some of my winter adventures- so I'll be ...

In GEAR » Patagonia R1 Jacket. The hype?
November 10, 4:13pm

jacket
Dave- I don't have first hand experience w/ the Frostline, but I think it would be more than sufficient for those temps, personally I think the Alpine Parka would be for me, but I tend to be a...

In GEAR » Sorting out my Winter Insulation choices
November 10, 12:35pm

Re: Re: Hydrogen
Greg- I've taken mine down to the mid 20's a couple of times- pad was NeoAir w/ a thinlight pad on top, I had a ls cap 1 shirt, MB ex light jacket, R1 bavaclava, R1 pants and socks. I was ...

In GEAR » New sleeping bag
November 10, 12:29pm

help me pick out a new ski setup for my wife
First off I'm not a skier (snowshoer), so my knowledge level is on the low side. My wife currently has a set of old waxless Fishers, circa mid 70's- an entry level basic x country ski as n...

In Winter Hiking » help me pick out a new ski setup for my wife
November 10, 8:45am

summerlite
I had a Summerlite for a short period, it was a well constructed bag, but too constricting for me- I had a 6' bag and am 6' ~ 200#. Very little to no room for additional layers and my goal...

In GEAR » New sleeping bag
November 10, 8:27am

winter
I think for winter conditions as you describe (and the fact that you run a little on the cold side), your going to need a relatively robust insulating layer for around camp (or breaks on the trail)...

In GEAR » Sorting out my Winter Insulation choices
November 10, 8:01am

R1
I used to take my R1 pullover as my insulating layer for 3 season use- it worked decently, after replacing it w/ a light down jacket I've never looked back- more warmth, for less weight- blocks...

In GEAR » Patagonia R1 Jacket. The hype?
November 10, 7:39am

bottom
for 3 season use: Pat boxer briefs MH Canmore shorts (they have cargo pockets which I find handy :)) Pat R1 pants Darn Tough Micro Crew socks the R1 pants are almost used exclusively aroun...

In GEAR » Favorite Bottom Half Backpacking Clothing?
November 09, 6:47pm

fit
will do, will also report on the presence or absence of kitties :)

In Gear Deals » OR PL 400 Fleece mit $20 + $7 shipping
November 09, 3:57pm

windshirt outer
not familiar w/ the the thermawrap so I won't take a stab I like to wear my windshirt as the outer layer, the exception being winter where if stopped I slip my insulating layer over top of e...

In GEAR » clothing systems
November 08, 8:27pm

All Reader Reviews by Mike M

Showing 1 - 10 of 33 | Page: 1 2 3 4

Review

Category

Petzl e+LITE
I thought I had added my review earlier on this lamp, but hadn't :) I've been very impressed w/ this diminutive lamp- if you're looking for a lamp for hours of night travel- this isn'...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
October 25, 12:08pm

Black Diamond Carbon Cork
@ 16 oz (pair) these are certainly heavier than some of the UL offerings, but still relatively light the FlickLock is about as solid of a adjustment as I've seen for trekking poles- I'm sur...

In Trekking Poles
October 18, 4:19pm

ULA Ohm
not sure why it's listed with the frameless packs, while not a robust frame- the carbon fiber/derlin frame is certainly a frame and definitely helps w/ the load capacity of this pack anywho- th...

In Backpacks - Frameless
October 13, 5:17pm

Montrail Sabino Trail
My first pair are over a year old now w/ ~ 500 backpacking/trail running miles- there is some light fraying here and there, but overall are still in very good condition. I've never had a hot spot...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
September 10, 5:23pm

Dirty Girl Gaiters
I'd probably go 4.5 just because of the needed velcro, but I like these enough I wanted to round up. They are breathable, they are light and they do a great job of keeping stuff out of your sho...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
September 10, 5:11pm

Osprey Talon 22
double post- whoops :)

In Backpacks - Frameless
January 03, 7:26pm

Osprey Talon 22
The Talon is a very full featured pack, that carries like a dream (w/ reasonable loads). I use it for snowshoeing day trips and it swallows up the gear- shovel, bivy, down parka, etc I love the be...

In Backpacks - Frameless
January 03, 7:22pm

Wet Fire Fire Starting Tinder
I'm a little redundant w/ fire starting stuff (boy scout in me I guess)- the wetfire tinders are my "if I absolutely need to start a fire" tinder. they will even burn in water or on sno...

In Miscellaneous Products
December 14, 7:49pm

Smartwool Beanie
my Smartwool beanie makes into both my day pack and multi-day trips, light weight, warm, takes up almost no space- I don't go anywhere w/o it going on two years and it still looks/fits great

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
November 20, 8:47pm

Moosejaw the company
I've made numerous transaction with moosejaw and they have always been smooth and hassle free. their staff is knowledgable and they frequently have the best prices on gear I do have one smal...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 30, 7:00pm