November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Eric Blumensaadt (Danepacker) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Mojave Desert
About Me Retired H.S. teacher, 10 yr. Nat'l Nordic Ski Patroller, fmr. XC racer, Army ROTC winter survival instructor, hunter, backpacker, former ACA moving water canoeing instructor, sea kayaker.
FINALLY have become a lightweight (not UL)backpacker.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Eric Blumensaadt

Showing 3121 - 3130 of 4454 | Page: 1 ...304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 ...446

Forum » Thread

VBL clothing v.s. VBL bag
For all around use perhaps VBL clothing (pants & jacket) has an edge over VBL sleeping bag liners, as a VBL suit wiuld be more versatile. EX. 1. VBL suit can be layered over with down ins...

In Winter Hiking » VBL clothing v.s. VBL bag
December 09, 4:48pm

"Fashion Statement"
I also have the bright blue EB Downlight Sweater. But with my baby blue eyes and blonde hair it makes me look like a fashion statement.... ;) Seriously, since I ski a lot I'm used to brighte...

In GEAR » Best Down Sweater for under $150
December 09, 4:32pm

DWR for nylon pants
For winter hiking I treat my 5.11 nylon pants with NikWax Direct Wash-In DWR and dry them. Then I spray them with Revivex twice and run them through the drier on med. heat for 15 min. That tr...

In GEAR » Waterproof(ish) Pants
December 07, 9:31pm

... but one more electronic gadget to carry along with my PT Scout headlamp, Steripen, Colorado GPS and Panasonic digital pocket camera, all of which I always carry.

In GEAR » Anyone know an NOAA/AM/FM radio lighter/smaller than this Sangean DT-400W?
December 07, 9:21pm

PT Scout
I prefer a headlamp only. A Photon Microlite II would be a decent emergency backup light. My choice is the Princeton Tech Scout for its ability to light a trail. Also it's light, waterproof...

In GEAR » Thru-Hike Flashlight or Headlamp
December 07, 6:27pm

"Back in '74"
I wore Eddie Bauer wool fishnet long johns for Nordic ski patrolling in NW Pennsylvania. Best choice at that time for high activity winter sports.

In GEAR » Advice from 1974
December 06, 1:59pm

TOTAL efficiency
It seems (from first appearances) that the BushBuddy's somewhat better burning efficiency it would be better than the Caldera Cone Tri Ti. But then ther's all that heat lost below the po...

In GEAR » Bushbuddy Ultra vrs. Bushcooker Lt.
December 06, 1:54pm

Good book...
Ken, As I've said several times here, buying a copy of "Allen & Mike's Really Cool Backcountry Ski Book" is THE best introduction to winter camping, even if you don't s...

In GEAR » First time snow camping. Advice please.
December 06, 1:43pm

My choice last year
Juston, Last year I got the 30" Lightning Ascent model B/C there were no tails available and also my Atlas 'shoes were 30". That's generally the next-to-the-longest length, whi...

In GEAR » MSR Lightning Ascent - Opinions
December 06, 1:37pm

Bag, etc.
If you're thinking of getting into winter camping later then get a decent down bag, preferrably one with a lot of water resistance (good DWR). But for emergencies you'll also need a shel...

In GEAR » Who can help with winter bags.
December 04, 8:34pm

All Reader Reviews by Eric Blumensaadt

Showing 1 - 10 of 30 | Page: 1 2 3

Trail designs SideWinder
The Trail Designs Sidewinder is an "alternative" fuel stove that is a 3 fuel stove. I.e. it can burn alcohol, ESBIT tablets or wood. What's more it is highly efficient at all of these...

In Cookware - Other
June 18, 1:41am

Trail Designs SideWinder for AGG 2qt pot
My 3 cup Open Country pot is the perfect size for solo camping. It fits in the Sidewinder ti stove and using ESBIT with a modified Gram Cracker tablet holder (BGET) IMHO this is the perfect size sto...

In Stoves - Other
June 08, 2:06am

Tarptent Scarp 2
I purchased the Scarp 2 SPECIFICALLY for 4 season use. I knew I would modifiy it for winter use when I purchased it. The Scarp 2 is my 3rd Tarptent, following a Contrail and Moment SW. Like them it...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
November 02, 8:09pm

Allen and Mike's Backcountry Ski Book
"Allen & Mike's Really Cool Backcountry Ski Book" is the very best book on teh eop I have ever read - and I've read most of them in the last 40 years of backcountry skiing and ca...

In Books and Media
October 24, 8:01pm

REI Kimtah
Recently got the REI Kimtah eVent parka and on a Ruby Mountains, Nevada backpack found it to be as good a wind jacket as it is a rain parka. The sale price was $159.95 which is 30% off the regular ...

In Clothing - Raingear
October 03, 1:45am

Eddie Bauer Down Sweater
I purchased an Eddie Bauer Down Sweater (their term) on sale this summer for $89. It was reviewed by Will Riveted in his extensive articles of light down jackets and got a favorable, "middle-o...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
October 27, 8:15pm

Thermarest Trail Pro Regular
I won my Trail Pro regular at a Sierra Club Outings leaders training seminar, otherwise I would not have spent the money B/C I seldom car camp. But now I have an alternative for a winter ski camping m...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
May 03, 9:56pm

Brunton Crux
I bought the Brunton Flex because of its wider burner ring for better heat distribution so I wouldn't get a hot spot on the bottom of my pot when cooking. I was not aware that there was a Brunt...

In Stoves - Canister
January 29, 9:38pm

tarptent moment
I give the Moment a "5" because I feel it is currently the best solo single wall tent design. It has great quality, innovative design and excellent attention to detail. My previous solo ...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
December 24, 12:52pm

Carbelas GORE-TEX® PacLite® Rainy River Parka
Cabela's Rainy River GTX PacLite parka (and pants) are THE bargain in good quality, lightweight, breathable rainwear at the 2010 regular $99. price. The Taslanized fabric is a matte finish, unlike...

In Clothing - Raingear
August 08, 12:10am