Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Scott Bentz (scottbentz) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me I live in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. I can get to a lot of nice hiking areas right from my street or travel for 15 minutes to higher elevations in the Angeles National Forrest. I started packing again with my sons in their Boy Scout troop. I was definitely not light that first trip 6 years ago and have been reducing my pack weight ever since. I mainly pack a few times a year in the Eastern and Western Sierras.
My PDF Gear ListNorth Lake South Lake 2012

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Scott Bentz

Showing 311 - 320 of 436 | Page: 1 ...23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ...44

Forum » Thread

Tough Times
Yeah, I get it. I think sometimes we just buy things that we think we need and then when we get it we find we don't use it and it just sits around. Better to sell at a loss than to have it in t...

In GEAR » Gear in "Tough Times"
April 16, 2:57pm

Buy and Forget
"How many people buy a couple hundred dollar item and put it immediately into a closet to be forgotten about?" More than we care to think. I know for me, I always buy something thinkin...

In GEAR » Gear in "Tough Times"
April 16, 2:25pm

Pre-hike
A pre-hike is a very smart thing to do. Before I started backpacking with our troop they hiked in about 2.2 miles to a campsite. Not knowing the water situation they all took a TON of water. When t...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Lightening up Adults (again)
April 14, 5:48pm

Long Sleeve Shirts
I hike in both the long and short sleeve depending upon conditions. In lower elevations in the Sierras I hike with a short sleeve. I don't really have problems with sunburned arms. I do wear a ...

In Gear Lists » John Muir 2009 Gear List
April 14, 1:53pm

Footbox
I think the footbox would be a problem. My SS UL #5 does not open all the way up to make a blanket.

In GEAR » Is a montnbell SS big enough to use as an overbag ??
April 14, 1:48pm

Trip Report
David, Have you gone on your trip yet? Reports are great to read.

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Lightening up Adults (again)
April 13, 2:06pm

Cuben Bonded Backpack
Stephen, I am planning on buying some cuben for my son. He wanted to sew a backpack for this summer. However, after reading this thread I may just get the material and either use tape or solvent...

In Make Your Own Gear » Cuben Stuffsack - Bonded
April 09, 3:51pm

Knives
As far as knives go, I like to take a small multi-tool. Why? I find I use the pliers quite often. Especially if I am fishing. The small knife usually is sufficient and the scissors get used more of...

In Gear Lists » My 3-season gear list, advice on weight reduction.
April 09, 2:27pm

Z-Rest
First of all, that is a nice article and the pictures are amazing. Perfect time to be out in that area. The thing you will notice with the Z-Rest is it is more rigid than the SitLight. I think t...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Ultralight fun in the Los Padres
April 08, 6:06pm

40º Bag
Funny thing is, I thought my #5 was a 35º bag figuring I had something special. I have never seen a #5 other than a 40º. If I tell myself it's a warmer bag I'll stay warmer, right? If yo...

In Gear Lists » John Muir 2009 Gear List
April 08, 5:57pm

All Reader Reviews by Scott Bentz

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

MSR MIOX
We used a MSR Miox on a trip with 9 people (Scouts). We got very spotty results and ended up playing with the unit more than we wanted. It seemed like the perfect solution but was not worth the wait. ...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
June 03, 5:04pm