BPL Community Profile

Mike Barney (eaglemb) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale AZ, the Great Southwest!
About Me YooHoo!

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Mike Barney

Showing 311 - 320 of 509 | Page: 1 ...23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ...51

Forum » Thread

Re: Garmin eTrex Legend Cx
I would take exception with the color need statement above, I find color a valuable delineator, making some features much easier to see or stand out in a field of topolines and other not always obv...

In GEAR » Garmin eTrex Legend Cx
December 27, 3:58pm

Re: 12 lbs for free
How about those spring-ey bouncy shoes they used to advertise on black and white TV, wouldn't that help <;) As for the battery charger, I think you'd be much better off with an Iowa S...

In GEAR » “It is like carrying an extra 12 pounds for free.”
December 24, 5:02pm

Re: re:LW Mountain Rescue gear?
Brett, the older 121.5 MHz plb / epirb's are going away. They are being replaced by a new class of EPIRB's, such as the AquaFixTM 406. More on it in this thread: http://www.backpack...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » LW Mountain Rescue gear?
December 19, 8:32pm

Re: Re: To carry or not to carry a PLB
Hey bd, The new class of EPIRB's (aka PLB's) are well suited for land use. One of the nice things about this new (only out for about a year) class of beacons is they have virtually instan...

In Editor's Roundtable » Personal Locator Beacons & Other Wireless Technologies for Backcountry Travel?
December 19, 8:21pm

Re: Desire V Dollar
Ah, the classic value proposition. A couple of views: Is the perceived difference in value worth $170? If so, buy the Dream. If not, buy the other brand. -or- Wha...

In Philosophy & Technique » Desire V Dollar
December 19, 5:56pm

Re: Heavy duty drugs
Vicodin didn't do anything for me when I tore a leg muscle, but 1/2 a Percocet w/Acetaminophen worked very well. Remembering that, I later went to my MD and discussed something similar to what...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Heavy duty drugs
December 17, 8:22pm

Re: Re: Has anyone gotten wet in an Epic tent?
Benjamin, is it "highly rain resistant" for a total product life of 5 - 9 hours, or does the 5 - 9 hours start over after it has dried out? Thanks, MikeB

In GEAR » Has anyone gotten wet in an Epic tent?
December 17, 12:46pm

Re: specific Map question:
As for hiking a trail you have no experience on sans map, or that's not a very well marked, that's probably not the smartest thing one could do. On trails I've been on before that a...

In Philosophy & Technique » specific Map question:
December 16, 8:23pm

Re^2: Value of a BPL Membership
Ditto Bill & BD. The gear I had "Pre-BPL" was making my joints unhappy. I knew I could buy lighter gear, but didn't realize some of the strategies and approaches popular here....

In GEAR » GoLite Poncho / Tarp
December 15, 3:57pm

Re: Leave it out or lighten it up?
Like most other challenges that require cognitive thought, if you don't set a goal, you won't make it ...................

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Leave it out or lighten it up?
December 15, 3:37pm

All Reader Reviews by Mike Barney

Showing 1 - 10 of 62 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Review

Category

MSR Pocket Rocket
This is a pretty basic stove that is simple to operate. It's lightweight and reasonably efficient. We used 3 of these on a 10 day hike with 10 people and they worked well. The stove is reas...

In Stoves - Canister
December 08, 5:52pm

Light My Fire Spork
I like the LMF Spork, but it's almost too flexible. I can agree with many if not most of the comments above, and have had one break. When you use it to stir something very hot, it gets soft and ...

In Cookware - Other
November 23, 9:49pm

Garmin Rino 120 GPS and FRS / GMRS Radio
Great Idea, lacking implementation.The premis of the Rino family is that it would be great to know where others are via GPS location. Great Idea. This is accomplished by using FRS radio frequencies i...

In Navigation Gear & Accessories
January 21, 2:53pm

Marmot Helium (long)
I had this bag for a short period, but really liked it. It's so warm, that it was almost too warm for me above freezing, but a very comfortable bag overall. It fits me (6'1") well a...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
January 04, 7:24pm

Atkinson's Chick-O-Stick Crunchy Peanut Butter & Coconut Candy
I really like the "Chick'O's", they do pack significant energy in a small package, and the taste is very good. They don't break as easy as some, and have a similar texture in h...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
December 27, 5:29pm

Jolt Gum
I guess if I was going to give this a really fair shake I'd have consumed the whole pack. Unfortunately or fortunately 1/2 a piece was more than enough. The taste isn't there, and I do have ...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
December 11, 11:09pm

Big Agnes
We had a short term need for a bag and pad we could use at Philmont, and the Scout was on a budget. We looked around and called Big Agnes. They had a demo bag come in the next day, and they called b...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 11, 7:28pm

WalMart
Walmart really does have nice people in their outdoors department at our local establishment, who know a lot about the Coleman lanterns and stoves and shotguns / rifles and ammo and really try to hel...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 07, 10:24pm

Tarptent Cloudburst
The Cloudburst 2 was my first tent from Tarptent. I like the design, and it holds up well in rain and wind. It sleeps 2 comfortably and sets up pretty easily with as few as 3 stakes. It weight a ha...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
December 04, 9:24pm

Sling-Light Chair w/ body and kneck rest
I purchased 2 of these initially for a 2 week hike. In the store, it seemed like a pretty good idea during a quick checkout. It's less than 2 lbs, so one of the lighter camp chairs available. It do...

In Miscellaneous Products
December 04, 8:25pm