BPL Community Profile

Rex Sanders (Rex) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Central California Coast
About Me Started backpacking with the Boy Scouts in the 1960s, which should have cured me, but friends intervened. Failed PCT thru-hikes in 1976, 1980, and other adventures (whitewater rafting 1987-present) put backpacking on hold for a while.

In 1998 I read Jardine's PCT book and saw the light. I'm not super- ultra- anything, my base weight is about 13 pounds. But I'm back on the trails again.
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rex Sanders

Showing 311 - 320 of 514 | Page: 1 ...23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ...52

Forum » Thread

Re: REI number
I got a 6-digit number in 1972, lost it during a move, got a new 6-digit number around 1980 (7nnnnn). Found the old number several years later, but REI had purged it, so I couldn't use it. N...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » R.E.I. return policy
August 20, 11:22pm

Re: Re:best two way sat communicator?
"I'd love to switch but don't see DeLorme coming to their senses on pricing anytime soon. (I've tried to talk to them.) If they matched SPOT's 1 way pricing with their 2 way of...

In GEAR » best two way sat communicator?
August 20, 10:58pm

Re: Has anyone had a backpack that discoloured your clothes?
I had a backpack from a well-known grown-up cottage manufacturer that discolored my clothes. That pack had more serious problems, too, so it's gone. My new pack is white cuben fiber from HMG...

In GEAR » Has anyone had a backpack that discoloured your clothes?
August 19, 11:06pm

Mountain House "oven"
You could heat freezer-bag type meals by 100°F with the Mountain House "Mountain Oven": http://www.mountainhouse.com/product/20657.html No fires, just add water to heat a pouch. Not...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Meals when any fires are forbidden
August 18, 12:13am

Rogue River trail
Rogue River National Recreation Trail follows the Wild & Scenic Rogue River for 40-47 miles. http://www.blm.gov/or/resources/recreation/rogue/rogue-river-trail.php That section of the Rogue...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Must do backpack between Eugene and Santa Cruz ....??
August 18, 12:04am

Yet another walking generator
The SpringActive SPaRK is under development for the US military: Generates 3-6 watts per leg while walking. Was 860 grams (30 ounces) each in 2011, they planned to cut the weight in half. ...

In GEAR » Alternative electronic gadget chargers
August 17, 7:03pm

Goldilocks at REI
After too many sleepless nights from sore hips on a Z-Rest, I went to a big REI and laid down on virtually every sleeping pad they had on display, including doubled-up Z-Rests and Solites. I got a ...

In GEAR » Switching to a foam pad?
August 16, 11:22pm

inReach SE tips: Delete pending message, Quick Text flexibility
Figured out how to delete a pending Preset, Quick Text, or Regular message if it hasn't been sent yet. Lots of steps, but useful to know. Select "Messages"Select the message you want...

In GEAR » DeLorme inReach SE announced, ships mid to late April
August 16, 11:06pm

Re: Re: inReach SE keeps trying, gets message through!
>Did you check the coords on the message? >Are they more or less what you would expect them to be? The position reported was about 250 feet off [Edit: checked using Google Maps instead of...

In GEAR » DeLorme inReach SE announced, ships mid to late April
August 16, 12:35am

Re: Stupid Light in the Cathedral Range?
Thanks for the trip report. Nice photos, wish I was there! A few thoughts: - "Stupid light" might be open to interpretation, seems you got through the night OK and learned some impo...

In Post-Trip Reports » Stupid Light in the Cathedral Range?
August 15, 9:29pm

All Reader Reviews by Rex Sanders

Rex Sanders has posted no reviews.