BPL Community Profile

Rex Sanders (Rex) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Central California Coast
About Me Started backpacking with the Boy Scouts in the 1960s, which should have cured me, but friends intervened. Failed PCT thru-hikes in 1976, 1980, and other adventures (whitewater rafting 1987-present) put backpacking on hold for a while.

In 1998 I read Jardine's PCT book and saw the light. I'm not super- ultra- anything, my base weight is about 13 pounds. But I'm back on the trails again.
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rex Sanders

Showing 311 - 320 of 488 | Page: 1 ...23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ...49

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Accuracy or otherwise of GPS
Bob, Thanks for the response on WAAS. Yes, we had a few pluggers at work under lock-and-key way back when. Far more accurate or timely than our other nav systems at the time. We use only C...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Accuracy or otherwise of GPS
July 29, 5:46pm

The Wirecutter recommends ...
Wirecutter does in-depth reviews of many products, including waterproof iPhone cases: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-waterproof-iphone-case For iPhone 4S, less-than-enthusiastic recomm...

In GEAR » Waterproof cover for iPhone with lanyard connector
July 29, 5:15pm

Re: Re: Re: Accuracy or otherwise of GPS
Bob, Could a GPS receiver see big jumps in accuracy/position as the geostationary WAAS satellites go in and out of view? What is WAAS? Quoting from the Garmin web site: "Basically, [W...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Accuracy or otherwise of GPS
July 28, 11:15pm

Los Padres NF: "No campfires or cooking stoves permitted in the backcountry"
"Due to extremely dry vegetation and an increasing fire danger, Los Padres National Forest officials today announced that Level IV fire restrictions will go into effect beginning today, July 2...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Los Padres NF: "No campfires or cooking stoves permitted in the backcountry"
July 25, 9:25pm

Checking scale accuracy
Always good to know if your particular scale is reasonably accurate. No need for calibrated weights. http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint/?action=coin_specifications 1 US 5 cent coin ("n...

In GEAR » Recommend a Good Scale
July 25, 1:24pm

Re: Ankle injuries
Based on my experience with three ankle sprains, and more sprained thumbs and fingers than I can recall: – Start RICE immediately. Every minute you delay, you will take many, many times that ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Ankle injuries
July 24, 9:47pm

Re: Hydration for Lightweight Backpackers
Thanks for the overview. A few more tips: – Your hydration and salt needs will change over time. What you need (or didn't need) in your 20s is not the same as in your 50s. What worked l...

In Editor's Roundtable » Hydration for Lightweight Backpackers
July 23, 6:48pm

Re: Testing Reveals Vunerability
>Well now that folks can actually test these units they are finding out >that they have all the same quirks of the SPOT system. The reviews are >dribbling in and they are enlightening. T...

In GEAR » Need a PLB - REsQLink+406, FastFind 220 ????
July 21, 2:28pm

Re: Re: Re: Need a PLB - REsQLink+406, FastFind 220 ????
>Rex, I wasn't aware of the + version. Is the only differece the weight and the fact + is boyaont? AFAIK, yes: http://www.acrartex.com/products/product-comparisons/personal-locator-bea...

July 21, 11:23am

Re: Need a PLB - REsQLink+406, FastFind 220 ????
>I've been able to ID the REsQLink+406 and the FastFind 220 as the two lightest devices available. The plain ACR ResQLink PLB (without the "+") is lighter than both of those, an...

July 21, 10:52am

All Reader Reviews by Rex Sanders

Rex Sanders has posted no reviews.