BPL Community Profile

Rex Sanders (Rex) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Central California Coast
About Me Started backpacking with the Boy Scouts in the 1960s, which should have cured me, but friends intervened. Failed PCT thru-hikes in 1976, 1980, and other adventures (whitewater rafting 1987-present) put backpacking on hold for a while.

In 1998 I read Jardine's PCT book and saw the light. I'm not super- ultra- anything, my base weight is about 13 pounds. But I'm back on the trails again.
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rex Sanders

Showing 311 - 320 of 511 | Page: 1 ...23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ...52

Forum » Thread

Mountain House "oven"
You could heat freezer-bag type meals by 100°F with the Mountain House "Mountain Oven": http://www.mountainhouse.com/product/20657.html No fires, just add water to heat a pouch. Not...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Meals when any fires are forbidden
August 18, 12:13am

Rogue River trail
Rogue River National Recreation Trail follows the Wild & Scenic Rogue River for 40-47 miles. http://www.blm.gov/or/resources/recreation/rogue/rogue-river-trail.php That section of the Rogue...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Must do backpack between Eugene and Santa Cruz ....??
August 18, 12:04am

Yet another walking generator
The SpringActive SPaRK is under development for the US military: Generates 3-6 watts per leg while walking. Was 860 grams (30 ounces) each in 2011, they planned to cut the weight in half. ...

In GEAR » Alternative electronic gadget chargers
August 17, 7:03pm

Goldilocks at REI
After too many sleepless nights from sore hips on a Z-Rest, I went to a big REI and laid down on virtually every sleeping pad they had on display, including doubled-up Z-Rests and Solites. I got a ...

In GEAR » Switching to a foam pad?
August 16, 11:22pm

inReach SE tips: Delete pending message, Quick Text flexibility
Figured out how to delete a pending Preset, Quick Text, or Regular message if it hasn't been sent yet. Lots of steps, but useful to know. Select "Messages"Select the message you want...

In GEAR » DeLorme inReach SE announced, ships mid to late April
August 16, 11:06pm

Re: Re: inReach SE keeps trying, gets message through!
>Did you check the coords on the message? >Are they more or less what you would expect them to be? The position reported was about 250 feet off [Edit: checked using Google Maps instead of...

August 16, 12:35am

Re: Stupid Light in the Cathedral Range?
Thanks for the trip report. Nice photos, wish I was there! A few thoughts: - "Stupid light" might be open to interpretation, seems you got through the night OK and learned some impo...

In Post-Trip Reports » Stupid Light in the Cathedral Range?
August 15, 9:29pm

inReach SE keeps trying, gets message through!
Last night I updated the firmware on my inReach SE (went reasonably smoothly), synced (for the first time!), and poked around on the unit looking for changes. I accidentally pushed the "Se...

August 15, 8:58pm

Re: Re: Electric cooking in the wilderness – a rough analysis
>How about using the new hydrogen battery technology seen at outdoor retailer? Most portable fuel cells are designed to recharge small electronic devices over USB, supplying 5 to 10 watts. ...

In GEAR » Electric cooking in the wilderness – a rough analysis
August 15, 10:10am

Portable generator
The lightest portable generator I could find with a few minutes of searching generates 450 watts continuous (about right), but weighs about 11 kilograms (24 pounds) with fuel and oil (not good): ...

In GEAR » Electric cooking in the wilderness – a rough analysis
August 14, 12:06am

All Reader Reviews by Rex Sanders

Rex Sanders has posted no reviews.