BPL Community Profile

Rex Sanders (Rex) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Central California Coast
About Me Started backpacking with the Boy Scouts in the 1960s, which should have cured me, but friends intervened. Failed PCT thru-hikes in 1976, 1980, and other adventures (whitewater rafting 1987-present) put backpacking on hold for a while.

In 1998 I read Jardine's PCT book and saw the light. I'm not super- ultra- anything, my base weight is about 14 pounds. But I'm back on the trails again.
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rex Sanders

Showing 311 - 320 of 406 | Page: 1 ...22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

Forum » Thread

Re: finding someone else's rope: take it down or leave it up?
Taking the rope down could create bigger problems, depending on the situation. If you are alone, you must (1) detach one end, (2) cross the stream, (3) detach the other end, (4) retrieve the rop...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Stream crossing horror stories
April 18, 11:06pm

Awesome, thanks!
Great photography, great videos, great story telling, great music selecton, and (of course) the awesome PCT scenery and people, including you two - Blackbeard and Destroyer of Worlds. Thank you ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Blackbeard & Destroyer's 2012 PCT Thru Hike... The Movie!
April 18, 8:22pm

Take a class
If you want to learn to cross streams and rivers safely, take a class where you practice in a river. In USA, that means a Swiftwater Rescue class, which will cover more than just crossing rivers...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Stream crossing horror stories
April 18, 2:39pm

Re: Canister failure: has this happened to you?
A few days into a week long trip, I had a canister develop a slow leak when the little valve didn't close completely. By the time I discovered the problem ("what's that funny smell ...

In GEAR » Canister failure: has this happened to you?
April 05, 3:55pm

Thoughts on satellite device battery life
It's hard to estimate battery life for satellite phones or texting devices. Manufacturers usually present the best possible numbers, but in real life backpackers might not reach those numbers f...

In Editor's Roundtable » SOTMR: Two-way Satellite Communications for Backpacking: Part 3: Satellite Texting
April 05, 12:05am

Re: Re: Inmarast
Sean, One of the interesting trade-offs between satellite phones using GEO satellites (Inmarsat, Terrestar, Thuraya) versus LEO satellites (Globalstar, Iridium), is making calls in deep canyons,...

In Editor's Roundtable » SOTMR: Two-way Satellite Communications for Backpacking: Part 3: Satellite Texting
April 03, 10:36pm

Re: SOTMR: Two-way Satellite Communications for Backpacking: Part 3: Satellite Texting
MIke, One of the limitations of this kind of review (not actually spending time with each device), is that if the vendor web site doesn't state something clearly, I have no way to know. Like...

April 03, 8:55pm

Thoughts on DeLorme inReach SE
Some pros and cons of the inReach SE versus inReach Smartphone, based purely on specifications. Pros: - Full standalone SMS texting using cursor keys, virtual keyboard, and predictive texting. ...

In GEAR » DeLorme inReach SE announced, ships mid to late April
April 03, 12:01am

Update for DeLorme inReach SE
The DeLorme inReach SE was officially announced two days ago, shipping in mid-to-late April 2013. Here are updates to key parts of the article.DeLorme inReach SEDevice TypeDual-modeSMS text message...

April 02, 11:23pm

Re: Re: DeLorme inReach SE announced, ships mid to late April
Bob, Unless DeLorme seeded pre-release inReach SE devices with a few reviewers, we won't see reviews until sometime after the first units ship. The inReach SE is an all new design for DeL...

In GEAR » DeLorme inReach SE announced, ships mid to late April
March 31, 11:42pm

All Reader Reviews by Rex Sanders

Rex Sanders has posted no reviews.