BPL Community Profile

Mike M (mtwarden) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Montana
About Me Colin Chapman "Simplify and add lightness"
My PDF Gear List3 day "Shoulder Season" list- Rocky Mtns

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Mike M

Showing 3041 - 3050 of 3380 | Page: 1 ...296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 ...338

Forum » Thread

comfort sul
I like the idea of the OP trying to show that sub 5 is doable w/o being totally spartan I've managed to get into the 6's and am now finding exactly how difficult it actually is to get su...

In Gear Lists » Comfort SUL
July 02, 7:16pm

pdf
this site allows you to upload a pdf file, might be more folks that can actually see the list that way

In Gear Lists » Grand Tetons July Gear List
July 02, 7:13pm

hood vs no hood
for hiking, I find use the hood a lot- wind, drizzle or snow over a light beanie, the hood adds quite a bit of warmth for the small weight savings going sans hood, seems like an easy choice

In GEAR » Windshirts - What am I missing?
July 02, 6:16pm

pulled the trigger as well
I agree w/ Tim's assessment of the 401- the battery life is very good (using lithium as well), the receiver is very sensitive- I was getting signals in some pretty tight confines in a recent tr...

In GEAR » new garmins foretrex 301 and 401
July 02, 5:13pm

folding
mine looks a little rough as I folded it at first twice as long as it should have been- I had to unfold and then refold I was surprised how easy it was to fold as the stuff is very springy- as l...

In Make Your Own Gear » ti windscreen/wood stove
July 02, 1:27pm

joint
^ that looks good I guess it might be a lap-fell joint :) it does hold very nicely here it is

July 02, 12:41pm

sale
they have them over at O2 gear shop for $46 :) pretty decent price

July 01, 9:04pm

feeding wood
there is a room to feed wood, you have to be a little careful obviously (not liking throwing a log on the fire :) ) I rarely have to add wood though, as it seems like it doesn't take too muc...

July 01, 8:14pm

windshirt
I think my little Houdini might be my be the most versatile piece of clothing I own it might not make sense in all environs, but in the mountain west it certainly does I combine mine w/ a pon...

July 01, 8:11pm

2-3 oz fixed blade
^ interesting- I wouldn't expect that, especially w/ a convex edge (unless you hit something unexpected???) I've owned a couple of Bark Rivers, good knives, good steel my blade of cho...

In GEAR » 2-3 oz fixed blade
July 01, 7:58pm

All Reader Reviews by Mike M

Showing 1 - 10 of 33 | Page: 1 2 3 4

Review

Category

Petzl e+LITE
I thought I had added my review earlier on this lamp, but hadn't :) I've been very impressed w/ this diminutive lamp- if you're looking for a lamp for hours of night travel- this isn'...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
October 25, 12:08pm

Black Diamond Carbon Cork
@ 16 oz (pair) these are certainly heavier than some of the UL offerings, but still relatively light the FlickLock is about as solid of a adjustment as I've seen for trekking poles- I'm sur...

In Trekking Poles
October 18, 4:19pm

ULA Ohm
not sure why it's listed with the frameless packs, while not a robust frame- the carbon fiber/derlin frame is certainly a frame and definitely helps w/ the load capacity of this pack anywho- th...

In Backpacks - Frameless
October 13, 5:17pm

Montrail Sabino Trail
My first pair are over a year old now w/ ~ 500 backpacking/trail running miles- there is some light fraying here and there, but overall are still in very good condition. I've never had a hot spot...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
September 10, 5:23pm

Dirty Girl Gaiters
I'd probably go 4.5 just because of the needed velcro, but I like these enough I wanted to round up. They are breathable, they are light and they do a great job of keeping stuff out of your sho...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
September 10, 5:11pm

Osprey Talon 22
double post- whoops :)

In Backpacks - Frameless
January 03, 7:26pm

Osprey Talon 22
The Talon is a very full featured pack, that carries like a dream (w/ reasonable loads). I use it for snowshoeing day trips and it swallows up the gear- shovel, bivy, down parka, etc I love the be...

In Backpacks - Frameless
January 03, 7:22pm

Wet Fire Fire Starting Tinder
I'm a little redundant w/ fire starting stuff (boy scout in me I guess)- the wetfire tinders are my "if I absolutely need to start a fire" tinder. they will even burn in water or on sno...

In Miscellaneous Products
December 14, 7:49pm

Smartwool Beanie
my Smartwool beanie makes into both my day pack and multi-day trips, light weight, warm, takes up almost no space- I don't go anywhere w/o it going on two years and it still looks/fits great

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
November 20, 8:47pm

Moosejaw the company
I've made numerous transaction with moosejaw and they have always been smooth and hassle free. their staff is knowledgable and they frequently have the best prices on gear I do have one smal...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 30, 7:00pm