BPL Community Profile

Eric Blumensaadt (Danepacker) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Mojave Desert
About Me Retired H.S. teacher, 10 yr. Nat'l Nordic Ski Patroller, fmr. XC racer, Army ROTC winter survival instructor, hunter, backpacker, former ACA moving water canoeing instructor, sea kayaker.
FINALLY have become a lightweight (not UL)backpacker.
CityHenderson
StateNevada
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Eric Blumensaadt

Showing 3011 - 3020 of 3720 | Page: 1 ...293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 ...372

Forum » Thread

Double layer nylon
For winter camping I use double layered nylon pants. I've sewn buttons on the inside of the waist for suspenders. (finding light suspenders is difficult. Try dress "braces" instead B...

In GEAR » Winter shell pants
November 27, 6:11pm

eVentgarment construction quality
Regarding the report(s) in this tread of eVent seam tapes leaking I'd say that the company that seals the best is the one to buy from. Jason Livey's high opinion of the Canadian company Wes...

In GEAR » Montane eVENT® Quick-Fire and Superfly and Other Light eVENT Jackets
November 27, 5:54pm

I have both
Candle lanerns SHOULD use a stearine wax candle ("plumber's candle") because it burns all the wax and won't drip - unless you tip it sideways. I've used them for years in the...

In GEAR » Lamps : oil or candle ?
November 27, 4:45pm

Caldera Cone Inferno efficiency
I've read that the Caldera Cone Inferno conversion requires more wood to run than the BushBuddy stove although it's easier to feed than the BB. Some say it's the difference in how t...

In GEAR » Caldera Cone Inferno efficiency
November 26, 9:09pm

The Snowshoe bargain
I just bought my son-in-law a pair of "Alaska Charlie's" snowshoes at COSTCO. $79.99 for 9" wide X 30" long aluminum tube famed 'shoes, adjustable hiking poles W/detatch...

In Winter Hiking » Snowshoes
November 26, 8:56pm

Tent stoves
As with foreplaces and cabin stoves, tent stoves are most efficient when the firebox is fed with OUTSIDE AIR through a pipe. Plains Indians made a small covered trench from just outside the tepee t...

In Winter Hiking » Yurt Camping
November 26, 8:50pm

Hmmm...
The only "tent heater" I've ever used is a candle lantern and a Candoil lantern (mini lamp oil lantern). Both heated the tent in winter very well but I always blew them out for safety...

In GEAR » Tent heater
November 26, 8:37pm

Uh huh!
Brett speaks great wisdom here. I once unstitched the arms of a synthetic jacket and sewed Velcro on them so I could use as Brett suggested. Worked great - until someone stole the arms! BTW, my ...

In GEAR » Vest vs Jacket
November 26, 8:34pm

NEOS v.s. felt pacs
I used NEOS over my dress shoes in northwestern Pennsylvania to get to my car through feet of snow to dig it out on workdays. That was the original idea for NEOS, as an overshoe. Now I keep NEOS...

In GEAR » winter CAMPING boots
November 26, 10:32am

winter CAMPING boots
OK, this thread may well belong in the Winter Camping forum but I'm putting it here B/C some folks need to think seriously about this topic. Winter boots are (usually ) insulated boots. Ther...

In GEAR » winter CAMPING boots
November 25, 11:42pm

All Reader Reviews by Eric Blumensaadt

Showing 1 - 10 of 28 | Page: 1 2 3

Review

Category

Tarptent Scarp 2
I purchased the Scarp 2 SPECIFICALLY for 4 season use. I knew I would modifiy it for winter use when I purchased it. The Scarp 2 is my 3rd Tarptent, following a Contrail and Moment SW. Like them it...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
November 02, 8:09pm

Allen and Mike's Backcountry Ski Book
"Allen & Mike's Really Cool Backcountry Ski Book" is the very best book on teh eop I have ever read - and I've read most of them in the last 40 years of backcountry skiing and ca...

In Books and Media
October 24, 8:01pm

REI Kimtah
Recently got the REI Kimtah eVent parka and on a Ruby Mountains, Nevada backpack found it to be as good a wind jacket as it is a rain parka. The sale price was $159.95 which is 30% off the regular ...

In Clothing - Raingear
October 03, 1:45am

Eddie Bauer Down Sweater
I purchased an Eddie Bauer Down Sweater (their term) on sale this summer for $89. It was reviewed by Will Riveted in his extensive articles of light down jackets and got a favorable, "middle-o...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
October 27, 8:15pm

Thermarest Trail Pro Regular
I won my Trail Pro regular at a Sierra Club Outings leaders training seminar, otherwise I would not have spent the money B/C I seldom car camp. But now I have an alternative for a winter ski camping m...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
May 03, 9:56pm

Brunton Crux
I bought the Brunton Flex because of its wider burner ring for better heat distribution so I wouldn't get a hot spot on the bottom of my pot when cooking. I was not aware that there was a Brunt...

In Stoves - Canister
January 29, 9:38pm

tarptent moment
I give the Moment a "5" because I feel it is currently the best solo single wall tent design. It has great quality, innovative design and excellent attention to detail. My previous solo ...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
December 24, 12:52pm

Carbelas GORE-TEX® PacLite® Rainy River Parka
Cabela's Rainy River GTX PacLite parka (and pants) are THE bargain in good quality, lightweight, breathable rainwear at the 2010 regular $99. price. The Taslanized fabric is a matte finish, unlike...

In Clothing - Raingear
August 08, 12:10am

Vargo Triad XE
The XE version of Vargo's Triad is an improvement in several ways. 1. After I complained of the original removable alcohol burner being too small the company owner responded by making it larger...

In Stoves - Alcohol
May 18, 8:51pm

Brunton Flex
This is the newer version of the Prumus/Brunton Crux canister-top stove and appears to have corrected faults reported by Crux owners. First the number of fold-out pot supports has increased from 3...

In Stoves - Canister
May 10, 3:38pm