BPL Community Profile

Richard Matthews (food) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado Rockies
About Me Orienteering 25+ years.

Xski and done 20+ hut trips

Hiked Colorado Trail and now adopter.

Hiked Wonderland Trail

Summitted 29 14'ers.

40+ nights below the rim in the Grand Canyon. Linked trips to walk from Cameron to Elves Chasm.
CityWheat Ridge
StateColorado

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Matthews

Showing 301 - 310 of 392 | Page: 1 ...21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Forum » Thread

sleep gear
I sleep in long underwear. I can rinse my hiking clothes and they mostly dry overnight. I don't feel safe when I do not have dry clothes. I carry three pair of socks. One pair stays d...

In Philosophy & Technique » What do you sleep in?
December 14, 1:44pm

Re: How do you pack your pack?
I find that neither pad or compression alone will create a durable virtual frame. However when the two are combined with a light load then you can get good durable weight transfer. I subscribe ...

In Philosophy & Technique » How do you pack your pack?
December 14, 9:58am

Re: Trail Runners
Hiking boots are the SUVs of footwear. There is a reason for both hiking boots and SUVs. But 99%+ of all SUV miles could be driven in a normal sedan. I suspect about the same % with boots.

In Philosophy & Technique » Trail Runners
December 14, 7:34am

Re: Tarps and Bugs
Frank, I loaned my TarpTent to a friend on one of our hikes. I told him the tent would vent much better if he left the beak open. The only time the beak needs to be closed was in blowing rain....

In Philosophy & Technique » Tarps and Bugs
December 13, 8:58am

Re: Trail Runners
Eric, I got a high ankle sprain back in 1997 wearing traditional hiking boots. During the rehab I realized the range of motion in the hiking boots was too limited to break out the scar tissue....

In Philosophy & Technique » Trail Runners
December 12, 10:22am

Re: SMD product durability
I have a Lunar Solo, Gatewood Cape, Starlite and Essence. The construction and sewing is very good. The Dyneema Grid and silnylon frabric that he uses is state of art. The design is excell...

In GEAR » SMD product durability
December 10, 10:56am

Re: Re: Re: Re: BPL Ranking Confusion
Ryan, You might want to change from "Rank" to "Participation Points". I suspect your lawyer would prefer that you not "rank" the forum advice.

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » Forum Profile
November 27, 5:35pm

water
I filter. I am disappointed if I have any left by the time I reach the next source. I carry a 5 quart capacity most of the time, but only carry what I need to get to the next source. I have ...

In GEAR » Question about how much water ULB carry
November 20, 11:07am

tent
IMO Six Moons Designs and TarpTent are state of the art. http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=47 http://www.tarptent.com/doublerainbow.html However for wet and uneven ground t...

In GEAR » Using tarps when the ground is suboptimal; migrating from a tent
November 16, 3:39pm

one more step
For me solo hiking is safer than hiking with another person. When I reflect on my accident record over the last decade I think I am safer solo. I have tripped over other peoples guylines, but n...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Solo or No Go
November 10, 1:41pm

All Reader Reviews by Richard Matthews

Showing 1 - 10 of 11 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Trail Designs Customer Service
Rand provides better customer service that we have a right to expect. The Caldera Cones are the most fuel efficient that I have used.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
November 26, 3:48pm

zpacks Company
I have purchased packs and pouches and had Joe do some custom sewing. The quality is excellent and the delivery time is great. I mailed him a G4 for some modifications and received it back in 8 da...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 04, 8:23am

Zpacks Blast 32
Blast 32 by Zpack Options and additions: Webbing belt, Sternum strap, Daisy chain on shoulder straps, Base shock cord loops, One shoulder pouch, Shockcord and cordlock water bottle holder on ...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 26, 9:08am

Equinox Silnylon Poncho
I use the extended version sold through Campmor. Recently I did a rainy week long hike with my 74 year old friend. We wore our ponchos at some time every day for a week. When we were coming out we ...

In Clothing - Raingear
January 04, 9:54am

Jacks R Better No Sniveller quilt
I got the No Sniveller and Nest together to use with my hammock. When wearing expedition weight long underwear the quilts will keep me warm to 30 degrees in the hammock. I also use the NS on the g...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
January 03, 3:23pm

Hennessy Hammock Asym
I have used the Hennessy as my primary shelter for 4 years now. The A-Sym design allows a poncho to be used as the fly. The bottom entry allows the fly to be set very close to the hammock. This...

In Shelters - Hammocks & Accessories
January 03, 3:09pm

Gatorade Bottle
I use a cozy made out of CCF pad so that I can shake my hot beverages. The mouth is just wide enough to allow drink mixes to be added without spilling. They fit in a normal bike bottle holster. ...

In Hydration - Water Storage Containers
January 03, 2:37pm

Trangia 28-5 Mini Aluminum Cook Pot
The lid from the AntiGravityGear 3 cup pot fits pretty well on the pot. Pour in a bag meals become monotonous quickly. This set gives me the ability to fry. The skillet works well with the alco...

In Cookware - Other
January 03, 2:27pm

Mary Jane's Farm Sante Fe Pasta
Don't forget Nick's Couch Potatoes, Red Pesto Pasta and Mac & Cheese. Lots of olive oil with all of them. I generally add chopped turkey pepperoni or bacon crumbles.

In Foods - Prepackaged Meals & Side Dishes
August 04, 7:18am

Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo
This tent brings together many of the superior design features from other light weight tents. The basic design is similar to the Dancing Light Gear Tacoma Solo Shelter. The Lunar solo has a very g...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
August 04, 7:08am