Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

John Vance (Servingko) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Intermountain West
About Me Thru hiked the PCT in 1983 and half of the CDT in 84. Backpacking since 1973 when I did my first 50 miler as a scout. Total gear nut and have dropped from a base weight of 35lbs to 10 - 12lbs and love spending time in the mountains even more. I typically get out for 2 week long trips and several weekend trips each year.
CitySalt Lake City
StateUtah
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Vance

Showing 301 - 310 of 503 | Page: 1 ...22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ...51

Forum » Thread

Personal Items
I carry many more items than most but they are in very small containers and I bring just enough to last until I can resupply. Toothpaste, Dr Bronners peppermint, mineral oil, alcohol wipes, a smal...

In GEAR » toiletries... what do you take?
April 24, 1:32pm

+1 Treating
I too have been treating the water first so that I don't need to bring it to a "rolling boil", just to the point of boiling. Much more fuel efficient and time saving.

In GEAR » Is one large boil more fuel efficient than two small?
April 23, 7:33pm

Pit Zips
At the weight they have listed, I would be VERY impressed if it had pit zips but I rather doubt it. For a fee I am sure they would put them in.

In GEAR » Feathered Friends Jackorack jacket and vest returns
April 22, 10:01am

Food Storage
I am not familiar with "above treeline" in Sweden. When I am above treeline it is due to altitude not latitude, but if you have any large boulders or small cliffs with an overhang, I typ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Food Storage Above Treeline
April 22, 9:55am

Jackorack
I used to have a Jackorack from way back. Very nice piece with huge pit zips, excellent hood and full coverage in EPIC. Very weather resistant and as I recall it weighed in at just under 7oz.

In GEAR » Feathered Friends Jackorack jacket and vest returns
April 21, 7:07pm

Lumix TS-3
I am looking at the Lumix TS-3 for a solution to just one. Brand new model and a bit more than most point and shoots, but a great deal of features that should translate into better quality images.

In GEAR » Pocket Camcorder Options
April 21, 11:02am

+1 on Pad
Your pad can make a huge difference on how warm you sleep. I had been cold in a WM Versalite near freezing many times but when I switched to a down insulated mat, I found the bag was too warm. Wh...

In GEAR » Moisture in Caribou MF
April 19, 11:11am

Pillow
I had to add a pillow for the same reason. As I have dropped my base weight to under 10lbs, I didn't have anything left for a pillow but my trail clothes, and those are usually hanging outside...

In GEAR » Where do you splurge?
April 18, 6:16pm

Comfort
I splurge with a down air mat and pillow. 21.5oz for the pad and 2.5oz for the pillow.

In GEAR » Where do you splurge?
April 18, 11:59am

Individual component weights
ust thought I would add my measurements and comparison the the original. The first listed weight is the PCS and the second is the ti in ounces: Pot w/ cozy - 6.8, 4.4 burner unit - 6.0, 3.4 li...

In Gear Deals » Jetboil Sol Ti for $102 shipped
April 18, 8:46am

All Reader Reviews by John Vance

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Chisos
This is from previous posts but I thought I would include it here as well. I received my Chisos with 2oz overfill and just wanted to update those waiting to hear a little more about my initial imp...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
June 06, 11:48am

Katabatic Gear Sawatch
I know I only have spent 4 nights using my Katabatic Sawatch, I wanted to get a review out for those interested that I have posted elsewhere on this site but not in the review area. I can say thi...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
June 10, 10:18am

Six Moon Designs Swift10
Now that I have some miles on my 2010 Swift I thought I would prepare a more thorough review. I have been using a 2006 SMD Starlight for the past few years and really love it coming from a brief stin...

In Backpacks - Frameless
June 10, 10:09am

Kookabay Custom Down Air Mattress (DAM)
I recently my pad from Bender yesterday and have to say I am impressed. The seams and sealing is very consistent, straight, and even. My custom pad used the standard 70d fabric and is 24" wide, 6...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 22, 11:08am