Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 31 - 40 of 1641 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...165

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Re: Richard Nisley's reference
Ivo, You said in part, "what would this boost look like if the shirt was blown by a strong wind over the jacket to the extent that its fabric is in full contact with the outermost fabric of...

In GEAR » MB Tachyon Anorak and layering
February 21, 3:23pm

Re: Re: Richard Nisley's reference
Ivo, You said in part, "Elsewhere Richard mentions this in more detail, suggesting that it might add around 0.3 clo to the ensemble, and could go up to 0.6 clo... Unfortunately, This is not...

In GEAR » MB Tachyon Anorak and layering
February 21, 12:16pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Windshirt Experts
William, MVTR is the term primarily used to describe how much moisture you can move through a solid membrane via Brownian Molecular Movement. There are at least six different tests that don'...

In GEAR » New Zpacks hooded windshirt
February 16, 1:49pm

Re: in practice
Connie, CAMP wind shirt = Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisper Anorakwind shirt = ZPacks wind shirt The above will all pass water vapor at about the same rate as a quality rain jacket; they will n...

February 16, 12:15pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Windshirt Experts
Charlie, You said, " Basically, should I believe that "wicking" is pure BS and CFM the *only* factor I should consider for sweat management?" Wicking is pure BS for DWR c...

February 16, 11:20am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Montbell Ex Light Anorak- A Contrarian View
Steve, This chart shows a higher density range so that you can see the down's performance knee (major slope change) begin:

In GEAR » Montbell Ex Light Anorak- A Contrarian View
February 13, 10:42am

Re: Re: Re: Montbell Ex Light Anorak- A Contrarian View
Steve, Up to ~2-2.5x density (half the loft but the same amount of down) in jacket baffles is fine. Laying on it will take you way beyond the linearity point; quilts are smart (smile). ...

February 12, 2:40pm

The Colors of Truth
Aaron, You said, "I don't know where you get the 16% increase in insulation?" The thermograph’s colors are my attempt for non-experts to intuitively compare garments thermal p...

February 10, 8:16pm

Montbell Ex Light Anorak- A Contrarian View
I have both lab tested and field tested many Montbell down garments over the years and have routinely found them to have extraordinary value. Coming from that perspective, I was surprised to read n...

February 10, 3:42pm

Re: Specs
These are the specifications for the jacket I am selling: The size large weight is 27.2 oz. The DWR is perfect and has never been modified. These are the specifications for the cu...

In Gear Swap » Montbell Permafrost Down Parka, $200, Size L, Gunmetal color aka Black
February 03, 5:53pm

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm