Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Michael Davis (mad777) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale South Florida
About Me I have a place in the White Mountains of New Hampshire and hike there a few times a year and looking forward to retiring there in a few years.

In Florida, most of my camping involves kayaking on our beautiful river swamps and kicking the alligators off the banks to pitch a tent.
CityPalm Beach
StateFlorida / New Hampshire
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Michael Davis

Showing 31 - 40 of 953 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...96

Forum » Thread

Re: Easy way to keep filter from freezing...
I whole heartedly agre with the sock drawer solution. Well put! I'm a filter user but always carry chemicals for backup. In sub-freezing weather I boil water usng a wood stove (no fuel weig...

In Winter Hiking » Water filter freeze prevention
October 03, 9:06am

Re: UL 15-inch saw: the "Little Buck" - about 4 oz
That is an amazing weight for a saw!

In Gear Deals » UL 15-inch saw: the "Little Buck" - about 4 oz
October 01, 7:53pm

Re: What to do with damaged Icebreaker shirt?
I would go for some type of head piece like a balaclava.

In Make Your Own Gear » What to do with damaged Icebreaker shirt?
October 01, 7:44pm

Re: UL hammock makers? Who?
It sounds like you should buy some cuben & some bonding tape and go to town on inventing the latest, greatest UL hammock ;) Have you looked at a GT Nano? Change out the suspension to dynagl...

In Hammocks » UL hammock makers? Who?
September 30, 4:59am

Re: Re: REI Adventures Pants -- Good for Hot & Humid Climes?
Eric, If you have time to check, woul you please post the model name of those TNF pants you liked? I recently returned from a 16 day trip in Spain where laundry was done in the sink overnight ...

In GEAR » REI Adventures Pants -- Good for Hot & Humid Climes?
September 29, 8:44am

Re: New Balance 1000 Insulated Boot Review
Thanks for the excellent review! I just ordered a pair through Joe's New Balance Outlet for $75!

In Editor's Roundtable » New Balance 1000 Insulated Boot Review
September 28, 9:02pm

Re: What are you thrashing, tossn' and turn'n sleepers sleeping in?
I'm using down quilts that I made, one on top and the other on the bottom --- of my hammock as I rock myself to deep sleep. The ground is make for walking on; not sleeping on :-)

In GEAR » What are you thrashing, tossn' and turn'n sleepers sleeping in?
September 27, 6:53pm

Re: u.l. pack comfort
Of all the gear we carry, the backpack is the most difficult to choose. That's because of the word, "comfort." Most other items can be chosen based on their specifications. We can...

In GEAR » u.l. pack comfort
September 26, 10:19am

Re: Italian Dolomites
About 30 years ago I saw a picture of the Italian Dolomites in SKI Magazine. I was so impressed, that I can still see every detail in my mind. Always wanted to go there, but Spain is as close as I&...

In Editor's Roundtable » Berghaus Mount Asgard Smock Review
September 22, 2:41pm

Re: Lightweight Integrated Canister Fuel Cooking Systems State of the Market Report 2011: Part 1 – Overview and Performance Evaluation
Excellent report! Not that I will use these often. But I can see them being useful between 10 and 30 degrees Fahrenheit. For frigid temps below that I'll stick with my MSR Windpro so that I ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Integrated Canister Fuel Cooking Systems State of the Market Report 2011: Part 1 – Overview and Performance Evaluation
September 21, 11:14am

All Reader Reviews by Michael Davis

Showing 1 - 10 of 10 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Backpackinglight Thurofare Pant
I love everything about these pants! They are so light it literally feels like I'm not wearing anything. My size large weighs 4.1 oz. They have features that count but not ones that don't. ...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
February 27, 8:29pm

Big Agnes SL3
While there's no tent that works for all purposes in all environments, IMO this is the perfect tent for summer, or year round in Florida. It's a free standing, double wall tent, but the inner ...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
September 18, 7:47pm

TNF Diad
In summary, a well designed, lightweight, but not spartan, rain jacket. The jacket is a 2008 product in TNF's Flight Series. In men's size large it weighs 8.9 ounces. I am 6'-1" a...

In Clothing - Raingear
August 19, 4:28pm

Silva Type 54 Compass
This Brunton 54LU compass is also the called the Silva Explorer 54. Brunton USA and Silva of Sweden are the same company. The product is manufactured in Sweden. I am extremely pleased with the Brun...

In Navigation Gear & Accessories
August 13, 4:52am

Icebreaker Tech T Lite Superfine 140
I am completely sold on Icebreaker's Tech T Lite 140 gm/m2. This shirt is pure comfort on 90+ degree, hard vertical hiking trips! I've tried poly, nylon including Columbia, Railriders, etc. Al...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
July 26, 1:45pm

Pacific Outdoor Products Insul Mat Max-Thermo
Both my wife and I have the Max Thermo 3/4 length which weighs 15.0 oz on my scale. It has synthetic insulation inside the air chambers. It's construction is robust. I've never had a failure o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 05, 7:43am

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
While I've always loved the lightweight factor of cooking with alcohol stoves, they consistantly detracted from the overall enjoyment of the outdoors. Fiddling with rickety pot stands, warped fly-...

In Stoves - Alcohol
July 05, 7:29am

MSR Wind Pro
This is the stove that I go to when the weather dictates that water comes from melting the solid form. At 10.2 oz, including stuff sack, it's one of the lightest options to get the Btu's for w...

In Stoves - Canister
July 05, 7:08am

Gerber EVO Titanium-Coated Serrated Knife 2.8 oz
This is a great knife if you are looking for something more substantial than a razor blade but lighter than a Bowie knife. I know many people prefer a razor blade or ripping out a pair of sizzors f...

In Miscellaneous Products
May 24, 5:36pm

SteriPen Adventurer
At 3.6 ounces on my scale, it's lighter that pump filters (1 lb.+/-)and lighter than my ULA Amigo gravity filter (9.6oz). However, pre-filtering is required, through a bandana or coffee filter, et...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
September 22, 12:49pm