BPL Community Profile

John Whynot (jdw01776) - BPL Guest

My Locale Southeast Texas
About Me Hiking and backpacking (on and off) since 1976, mainly in the northeastern United States.
CityHouston
StateTX
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Whynot

Showing 31 - 40 of 557 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...56

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Merino 1
@Mike - I believe Patagonia changed the fabric blend between the first release of the Merino 1 (2010?), and then the second release last year. I did return it, which is too bad, because it fit well...

In GEAR » Merino Long Sleeve Baselayer top
February 15, 10:58am

Re: Merino 1
I bought 1 of the re-released Merino 1 Ts last year -- it was full of holes after 4 days on the trail, but it still smelled fairly fresh...

In GEAR » Merino Long Sleeve Baselayer top
February 14, 8:47pm

Re: Re: Re: East coast, End of May hike suggestions 10-14 days -
My experience with the AT in CT and MA. I hiked from Salisbury, CT to Lee, MA at the end of April. I had heavy rain, cold and sunny (with snow flurries), and warm and sunny. I took a zero at a s...

In Pre-Trip Planning » East coast, End of May hike suggestions 10-14 days -
February 11, 6:16pm

Re: Details
If you haven't done so, take a look at Shug's videos on You Tube (just Google Shugemery). He hammocks in the winter in MN at below zero temps. Informative and entertaining...

In GEAR » Gear Test Results last night in -5ºF
February 10, 2:28pm

Re: East coast, End of May hike suggestions 10-14 days -
What about an AT section hike? Start at NY/CT border, hike to VT/NH border. No crowds, fewer bugs, but the trail will be a bit muddy in spots...

In Pre-Trip Planning » East coast, End of May hike suggestions 10-14 days -
February 09, 7:43pm

Re: Transportation from Denver to Aspen
I've always rented a car at the Denver airport. It's an expensive place to rent a car, but won't be bad splitting the cost among a group. With 8 people you may need 2 cars, or maybe a v...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Transportation from Denver to Aspen
February 09, 3:13pm

Re: From the owner of ProLiteGear.com - What traits do BPL members consider important in an online gear shop???
The only thing I really want is a return policy that let's me easily return items that I decide I don't want -- even if it is limited to 60 days. I've purchased a few items from Prol...

In GEAR » From the owner of ProLiteGear.com - What traits do BPL members consider important in an online gear shop???
January 30, 6:51pm

Re: what are lightest synthetic base layers
Arcteryx Phase SL - available in a variety of styles. Look for a sale...

In GEAR » what are lightest synthetic base layers
January 26, 11:11am

Re: Re: Patagonia M 10
A quick Google search shows the M10 available at North Platte River Fly Shop and Moosejaw. Weight is quoted at 7.9 ounces (no size indicated)...

In GEAR » Patagonia M10 Jacket returning for Spring '13
January 25, 8:16pm

Re: how to repair my down jacket
I would just cut a patch from some self-adhesive ripstop repair tape. Make sure the corners of the patch are rounded, otherwise it will peel off. Rub the patch down well with a smooth, rounded obje...

In Make Your Own Gear » how to repair my down jacket
January 06, 1:11pm

All Reader Reviews by John Whynot

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

StickPic camera mount
A clever, well-engineered, and lightweight (0.35 ounces by my scale) gadget for mounting a camera on the tip of a trekking pole. Should work with any compact camera with a tripod socket. Works ver...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
June 16, 10:55am

BPL Thorofare Trekking Pants
I purchased these as a replacement for my overbuilt Montbell Stretch Windpants. The fabric of the Trekking pants is a microgrid ripstop nylon, with a slightly textured inner surface. Size medium...

In Clothing - Raingear
December 07, 8:31pm