Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Erik G (fox212) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale THE Bay Area :)
About Me I've been backpacking a long time, and started trying to go ultralight over the past year or so. I'm always trying to refine my gear list to improve comfort and enjoyment while also reducing weight, volume, and number of items carried. I love the simplicity of a minimal kit. I also enjoy making and modifying my own gear.
CityDanville
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear List3-Season Gear list as of 09-2013

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Erik G

Showing 31 - 40 of 122 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Forum » Thread

Cool
Very nice work. Pump filters like this can be highly beneficial as mentioned above. I must say, this looks and works a lot like the MSR Hyperflow. Similar hollow fiber filter technology, similar...

In Make Your Own Gear » Pump Filter Using Sawyer Mini
February 03, 9:15am

Thanks for the suggestions!
Forgot to watch this thread, so I am just now seeing these responses. Whoops! Good idea on the Mylar. Sharon, thank you for the offer. One of my panels is going to require the full 54" w...

In Make Your Own Gear » Good material for MYOG cuben tent prototype
February 02, 5:17pm

SHR vs JMT
I agree that the SHR is another beast entirely from the JMT. Certainly didn't mean to imply otherwise (or that I could hike the SHR at 15-20 miles per day!). Covering distance is almost ne...

In Pre-Trip Planning » JMT Alternatives
January 30, 6:10pm

Re: Re: Great responses already
"Note that the elevation change can really affect your mileage." It sure can! As can many other variables (weather, trail condition, group dynamics, etc...). Like I said, ballpark figu...

January 30, 4:20pm

Great responses already
...Thank you! Lots of food for thought in just a few posts. I do have quite the collection of maps, and that is pretty much how I plan most of my trips. Gmap4 is a great planning aid, too. I hadn&#...

January 30, 3:45pm

Re: Re: Well Dang!
Ralph, you're right. I was half joking, half venting ;) It is definitely (mostly) the huge increase in applicants that reduces one's odds of getting a reservation. There are less permits...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Major John Muir Trail changes
January 30, 3:33pm

JMT Alternatives
With the news (news to me, at least) that JMT permits are now even harder to get, I thought it would be a good time to brainstorm some good "JMT alternatives." I would define a good alter...

January 30, 2:56pm

Well dang!
Maybe this is why all my reservation apps have been denied! Bummer-ooski. Well, sort of...I'm glad they're doing what they can to "preserve the quality of the JMT experience" and ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Major John Muir Trail changes
January 30, 2:42pm

Cat winking
I just watched a documentary on PBS - The Secret Life of Cats, or something like that - and it talked about how cats communicate. It was actually very interesting. Apparently, blinking/winking is h...

In Chaff » Spot the cat
January 29, 6:00pm

Should be available soon!
I emailed Sea to Summit for some info on these pads. The rep said they would be available in early February at REI, etc. Also, I mentioned some R-value discrepancies I found on their website. Th...

In GEAR » Any word on the new Sea to Summit pads?
January 28, 12:08pm

All Reader Reviews by Erik G

Erik G has posted no reviews.