Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Doug Smith (Jedi5150) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Central CA
About Me LEO K9 handler, with SAR, EMS background.
StateCalifornia

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Doug Smith

Showing 31 - 40 of 359 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...36

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: re: treeline
Will do Katherine! I'll report back with my findings, and photos. :)

In Hammocks » Treeline hammocking talk
January 07, 9:13pm

Re: re: treeline
Thanks for the feedback, Lori. I appreciate the head's up on foxtail pines, which I had to google to check out. Very cool trees. As often as I go into the wilderness (which is fairly often b...

January 06, 11:09pm

Treeline hammocking talk
OK, so having just got a new hammock tarp for Christmas, I'm itching to go give it a try. I've slept in my hammock (borrowed tarp) a couple times, but never on a backpacking trip. My qu...

January 06, 4:01am

Coyotes
Ben, thanks for the suggestion and the photo. Looks gorgeous there. Tom, cool story, thanks for sharing it. I've never seen them in a group. That would be something. Where I live on Ft. ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Help me find the "flat" spots in the High Sierra ;-)
January 06, 2:47am

Re: Climashield insulated jacket?
At the risk of sounding like a paid shill, the Arc'Teryx parkas don't have baffles either. If you're looking for Climashield in specific, I know Kifaru used to make a parka using Clima...

In GEAR » What is the best lightweight synthetic parka to buy and why?
January 06, 2:24am

Re: Awesome feedback!
I couldn't agree more Michael. Once I went to pads wider than 20" I actually started being able to sleep at night. Narrow pads are awful.

In GEAR » Exped SynMat UL 7 MW vs NeoAir xTherm Large
January 05, 2:32pm

Re: Re: Help me find the "flat" spots in the High Sierra ;-)
Thanks for the recommendation Tom. I really do love the sound of coyotes at night. They easily top my list of favorite "wild" animals.

In Pre-Trip Planning » Help me find the "flat" spots in the High Sierra ;-)
January 05, 1:19pm

X-therm
I'm 5-10, 185lbs and I own both of these pads as well. I strongly prefer the X-therm. To me, the warmth makes a night and day difference, I feel like heat is just burning up through the X-the...

In GEAR » Exped SynMat UL 7 MW vs NeoAir xTherm Large
January 05, 1:15pm

Re: My thoughts
Boy, I was close to buying a Sony RX100III for backpacking (still might), but the one thing I can't wrap my head around is the focal length. 24mm (for brevity, I'll be referring to 35mm eq...

In Photography » Compact wide angle big sensor?
January 04, 8:01pm

Re: Re: Re: Tripod thoughts
Richard and Bob, I appreciate the head's up about the pod and about real-world issues with one. An incredibly short height might not be too limiting for a tripod. A lot of the landscape photo...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » I'm converted to light wieght
January 04, 7:35pm

All Reader Reviews by Doug Smith

Doug Smith has posted no reviews.