Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Brett . (Brett1234) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale CA
About Me Brett . has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear ListSummer gear list 10'C

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Brett .

Showing 31 - 40 of 1437 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...144

Forum » Thread

"WTB: a super cheap gps"
Link to the $35 Suunto GPS watch please? ; )

In Gear Swap » WTB: a super cheap gps
May 30, 8:25am

Re:"My first sub 5 lb trip!"
James, Awesome. I agree your thread should be made into a link from the homepage; something like 'pictorial example of an actual overnight 5lb hike' I was especially impressed with your...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » My first sub 5 lb trip!
May 29, 8:02am

Russell, a tel#
From inov-8.com http://inov-8.com/Find-Retailers.asp?C=27&L=27&RegionID=%25&P=5050973024 The telephone number of the distributor. Consider the 390s, with goretex lining. Worth ...

In GEAR » Inov-8 shoes and boots
May 28, 6:52pm

Re: "Clothes Worn/Carried" advice for someone buying LW hiking clothing 3+ layers
Sean, Or anyone else starting up again with light weight backpacking.. there is a wealth of information here. Let me summarize the advice I found most useful.. Start with a base layer top, bott...

In GEAR » Clothes Worn/Carried
May 28, 2:38am

'show avatars' does nothing
BPL staff, Bug report: in Firefox 2.0.0.14, clicking the 'display avatars' box to de-select it does nothing. Avatars are still visible.

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » 'show avatars' does nothing
May 27, 8:15pm

re:"Merino wool baselayer - which one?"
I also have pieces from the big 4 makers. The reason they do not make them in light colors typically, is their transparency in thin weights. I would go with short sleeves for summer, and use a wind...

In GEAR » Merino wool baselayer - which one?
May 27, 11:52am

Jetboil with coffee press set for $68
With coffee press accessory for $68. http://cgi.ebay.com/JetBoil-Personal-Cooking-System-Coffee-press_W0QQitemZ320252697643QQcmdZViewItem

In Gear Deals » Jetboil $70
May 27, 10:45am

Re:"Smoking and hiking..."
Here in Japan smoking is still prevalent. It seems the majority of males have this offensive habit. I call it offensive if they smoke around non-smokers; otherwise I don't care. It is very an...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Smoking and hiking...
May 24, 10:12pm

re:"backpack for hiking *and* travel (GG nimbus meridian?)" / i own one
Ashley, I own a Nimbus Meridian, and highly recommend it in this weight range for a side-loader (a criteria I insist on for larger packs). It is strippable to a low weight for short trips, yet can ...

In GEAR » backpack for hiking *and* travel (GG nimbus meridian?)
May 20, 11:16am

Re:"montbell jackets -- rough idea of comparitive warmth?" / get the alpine
Ashley, Rich's analysis is spot on, and archival information. Personal experience confirms his analysis- I was shivering at 'thermo neutral' at 20F in the MB Light Alpine jacket last wi...

In GEAR » montbell jackets -- rough idea of comparitive warmth?
May 20, 8:26am

All Reader Reviews by Brett .

Showing 1 - 10 of 32 | Page: 1 2 3 4

Review

Category

5.11 gear Tactical nylon pants
These pants weigh in at 720grams, that's a pound and a half, folks. I bought them as winter hiking pants because I do not need the convertable feature of my other pants in winter, but I found thes...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
December 05, 10:00pm

Petzl Tikka XP
In preparation for a night hike I wanted to buy a new headlamp. Technology has come a long way since my old Zipka Plus.. (and I couldn't find it!) After a few hours of research including

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
September 04, 11:58pm

Cilogear Schoolbag
I got my second Cilogear last week, what Graham calls the "Schoolbag". Here in BPL land it makes for a very nice day-hiking pack and I bet many BPL members could fit a weekend kit into its 3...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
September 04, 3:30am

tiny BIC lighter (the cute one)
I carry various types of fire making gear for my own educational and practice purposes, but I always have one of these 11 gram bics taped to my keychain or in my pot set. They won't flame when soa...

In Miscellaneous Products
August 06, 10:53pm

SnowClaw Backcountry Shovel Racer Backcountry Shovel
My snow claw is one of the more recent models. I used it on one winter trip for bivy prep; I can move snow at a higher rate than with a shovel due to the low inertia of the blade; I dug into a 45'...

In First Aid and Survival Gear & Accessories
August 05, 11:44pm

Montbell Versalite rain pants
Just bought these today and tested them in a thunderstorm tonight. My usual test sequence is based on recommendations from one of our members. 1. The sitting test applies about 10,000mm head; 2. kneel...

In Clothing - Raingear
July 30, 9:25am

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
This device reliably makes sparks as advertised; even when wet. But so will an 11 gram mini-bic. So I carry the bic. Also, the tiny spark-maker from a Spark-lite is also a fraction of this item'...

In Cookware - Other
July 30, 9:07am

Petzl Zipka
If I only kept one light out of my selection; I would keep this one. Additionally, if someone requested my advice on one light to buy, this would be it. It is my default flashlight for any situation. ...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
July 30, 8:55am

Montbell U.L. 90 Sleeping Pad U.L. 90
I own the 120cm version, but aside from the dimensions and weight, it is identical. This pad is not remarkable on its own, but as part of the Montbell sleep system, it is. The toggles mate with the...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 19, 2:04am

Sealskinz gloves
Sealskinz absorb water like a big fat sponge, and weighing them on my scale, they did indeed double in weight when wet. Totally unaceptable, and uncomfortable. Returned to REI.

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
July 09, 9:32pm