BPL Community Profile

Mike M (mtwarden) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Montana
About Me Colin Chapman "Simplify and add lightness"
My PDF Gear List3 day "Shoulder Season" list- Rocky Mtns

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Mike M

Showing 2971 - 2980 of 3348 | Page: 1 ...289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 ...335

Forum » Thread

10 essentials
True- while backpacking many of the "10 essentials" are taken care of- the biggie being shelter. And while I certainly wouldn't carry an emergency bivy backpacking like I would day h...

In GEAR » Gear Geek 10 Essentials
July 12, 5:52pm

review
thanks!- I'm just a wee bit bigger, 5' 11" 190 lbs I did find these reviews- two of the guys were a little larger than they recommend and found while not roomy, didn't seem to h...

In GEAR » MontBell Thermal Sheet Users
July 12, 12:55pm

changes
got an email back from Montbell stating that nothing has changed (except the color)- the stated weight is 13.8 oz, I thought the earlier ones had a stated weight of 14.5??? oh well :) how about...

In GEAR » MontBell Thermal Sheet Users
July 12, 8:30am

the important bits
here's my assemblage of the little important bits :) bracelet w/ ~ 12' 170# Spectra cord; first aid kit; mini bic (w/ child proof device removed); sun screen; bug dope; compass; Petzel ...

In GEAR » Gear Geek 10 Essentials
July 12, 7:20am

windshirt
I've found that in cold and/or windy conditions at camp- that a windshirt over my down jacket really boost the warmth factor on some really cold nights the windshirt even was drafted into du...

In GEAR » Patagonia Houdini vs. Montane Featherlite
July 11, 3:32pm

mountainfitter
if your not into the diy thing (I can't sew myself)- maybe contact Lawson at mountainfitters- he might be able to do something similar to what the above poster recommended- he uses cuben, so if...

In GEAR » multi-use ditty-bag/daypack?
July 11, 8:09am

daypack/stuff sack
oware also makes a light (2.9 oz) stuff sack/daypack- I think it's in the 900-1000 cu inch range I have the kompresser and it's a nice little daypack, I found myself using it for more th...

In GEAR » multi-use ditty-bag/daypack?
July 11, 7:01am

fit
I'd agree w/ the assessment the Houdini is not a "athletic" fit, I was torn between a large (which I wear in 90%+ of the cases) and a XL so it would fit decently over a insulating lay...

July 11, 6:46am

hood
I didn't think that the featherlite had a hood? I was going to recommend the Houdini based on that fact, but if the feathelite has a hood, I'll defer to the above :)

July 10, 10:06pm

id poncho
Hi- w/ mine I only carry 8 stakes, the ridge line guys (to my trekking poles) are 6.5' (x2) and then two at 4', four at 3' w/ all 12 probably 6-7' for the ridge ends, maybe four ...

In GEAR » Guyline length for Integral Designs Silponcho.
July 10, 1:05pm

All Reader Reviews by Mike M

Showing 1 - 10 of 33 | Page: 1 2 3 4

Review

Category

Petzl e+LITE
I thought I had added my review earlier on this lamp, but hadn't :) I've been very impressed w/ this diminutive lamp- if you're looking for a lamp for hours of night travel- this isn'...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
October 25, 12:08pm

Black Diamond Carbon Cork
@ 16 oz (pair) these are certainly heavier than some of the UL offerings, but still relatively light the FlickLock is about as solid of a adjustment as I've seen for trekking poles- I'm sur...

In Trekking Poles
October 18, 4:19pm

ULA Ohm
not sure why it's listed with the frameless packs, while not a robust frame- the carbon fiber/derlin frame is certainly a frame and definitely helps w/ the load capacity of this pack anywho- th...

In Backpacks - Frameless
October 13, 5:17pm

Montrail Sabino Trail
My first pair are over a year old now w/ ~ 500 backpacking/trail running miles- there is some light fraying here and there, but overall are still in very good condition. I've never had a hot spot...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
September 10, 5:23pm

Dirty Girl Gaiters
I'd probably go 4.5 just because of the needed velcro, but I like these enough I wanted to round up. They are breathable, they are light and they do a great job of keeping stuff out of your sho...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
September 10, 5:11pm

Osprey Talon 22
double post- whoops :)

In Backpacks - Frameless
January 03, 7:26pm

Osprey Talon 22
The Talon is a very full featured pack, that carries like a dream (w/ reasonable loads). I use it for snowshoeing day trips and it swallows up the gear- shovel, bivy, down parka, etc I love the be...

In Backpacks - Frameless
January 03, 7:22pm

Wet Fire Fire Starting Tinder
I'm a little redundant w/ fire starting stuff (boy scout in me I guess)- the wetfire tinders are my "if I absolutely need to start a fire" tinder. they will even burn in water or on sno...

In Miscellaneous Products
December 14, 7:49pm

Smartwool Beanie
my Smartwool beanie makes into both my day pack and multi-day trips, light weight, warm, takes up almost no space- I don't go anywhere w/o it going on two years and it still looks/fits great

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
November 20, 8:47pm

Moosejaw the company
I've made numerous transaction with moosejaw and they have always been smooth and hassle free. their staff is knowledgable and they frequently have the best prices on gear I do have one smal...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 30, 7:00pm