BPL Community Profile

Eric Blumensaadt (Danepacker) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Mojave Desert
About Me Retired H.S. teacher, 10 yr. Nat'l Nordic Ski Patroller, fmr. XC racer, Army ROTC winter survival instructor, hunter, backpacker, former ACA moving water canoeing instructor, sea kayaker.
FINALLY have become a lightweight (not UL)backpacker.
CityHenderson
StateNevada
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Eric Blumensaadt

Showing 2971 - 2980 of 3586 | Page: 1 ...289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 ...359

Forum » Thread

Cabela's tents
Look at Cabels's large freestanding tents in their online catalog. Their quality and design are excellent. I've been in a few in their store and the quality is very good. No Wal-Mart ty...

In GEAR » Non-UL tent recommendation?
September 26, 12:44am

ESBIT & Vargo Triad EX
I used the base of my Vargo Triad EX as an ESBIT stove (W/ an MSR windscreen) and it worked very well for a long week of Grand Canyon backpacking. I always used 2 tablets at a time for dinner and u...

In GEAR » Caldera Keg H with Esbit
September 25, 1:51am

EOS TACTICAL
I have the EOS TACTICAL headlamp (and a Quad). The Tactial has three removable filters, red, green and blue. I got it for the night vision saving red filter. I keep the red filter in the up posi...

In GEAR » New Tikka XP Versis EOS R
September 24, 3:55pm

My post...
Check my post at Backpacking Lightweight for a screaming deal on a NEW U.S. military Gore-Tex bivy. $99. One post there has an even better dealon the same bivy. $64.! Eric

In GEAR » Which WP Bivy Should I buy
September 24, 6:34am

Primus Eta Power stove
I KNEW it Roger, That Primus Eta Power stove tested well for efficiency - but it's real use is for a group due to its weight and size. Great call. Back to solo canister stoves: I foun...

In GEAR » Alcohol vs. Cannister Stove
September 23, 9:35pm

MSR Dragonfly
My MSR Dragonfly is THE lowest simmering liquid fuel backpacking stove on the planet. Period. And it's very hot on full blast. I'd take it over the Simmerlite any day. Having two goo...

In GEAR » stove to melt snow
September 23, 8:40pm

LANSKY sharpener
A Lansky sharpener kit W/5 graduated grits, including a diamond hone, is the way to go. I've seen Japanese synthetic stones and the Lansky stones look the same in texture. The stones LAST and c...

In GEAR » knife sharpening.
September 22, 10:40pm

Got my Moment today!
Great tent with LOTS of details that shows how much thought and refining the design went into this tent. I'll take pics tomorrow and post. As for the crossing pole making it more wind-worth...

In GEAR » New Tarptent ;this is the Moment !!!
September 22, 10:30pm

Sleeping shirt
I'd carry an extra poly T shirt for sleeping only just to keep your bag cleaner. When I get home from a trip I always turn my sleeping bag inside-out and spray it with anti-microbial Fabree...

In GEAR » Clothing question
September 22, 1:35pm

WesternMountaineering Megalite
My WM Megalite is good to its rated 30 F. and I've ben comfortable in it several times (W/poly long johns & balaclava) to the mid 20s F. It's wide enough to accomodate a vest or jack...

In GEAR » Good summer JMT sleeping bag?
September 22, 11:47am

All Reader Reviews by Eric Blumensaadt

Showing 1 - 10 of 28 | Page: 1 2 3

Review

Category

Tarptent Scarp 2
I purchased the Scarp 2 SPECIFICALLY for 4 season use. I knew I would modifiy it for winter use when I purchased it. The Scarp 2 is my 3rd Tarptent, following a Contrail and Moment SW. Like them it...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
November 02, 8:09pm

Allen and Mike's Backcountry Ski Book
"Allen & Mike's Really Cool Backcountry Ski Book" is the very best book on teh eop I have ever read - and I've read most of them in the last 40 years of backcountry skiing and ca...

In Books and Media
October 24, 8:01pm

REI Kimtah
Recently got the REI Kimtah eVent parka and on a Ruby Mountains, Nevada backpack found it to be as good a wind jacket as it is a rain parka. The sale price was $159.95 which is 30% off the regular ...

In Clothing - Raingear
October 03, 1:45am

Eddie Bauer Down Sweater
I purchased an Eddie Bauer Down Sweater (their term) on sale this summer for $89. It was reviewed by Will Riveted in his extensive articles of light down jackets and got a favorable, "middle-o...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
October 27, 8:15pm

Thermarest Trail Pro Regular
I won my Trail Pro regular at a Sierra Club Outings leaders training seminar, otherwise I would not have spent the money B/C I seldom car camp. But now I have an alternative for a winter ski camping m...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
May 03, 9:56pm

Brunton Crux
I bought the Brunton Flex because of its wider burner ring for better heat distribution so I wouldn't get a hot spot on the bottom of my pot when cooking. I was not aware that there was a Brunt...

In Stoves - Canister
January 29, 9:38pm

tarptent moment
I give the Moment a "5" because I feel it is currently the best solo single wall tent design. It has great quality, innovative design and excellent attention to detail. My previous solo ...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
December 24, 12:52pm

Carbelas GORE-TEX® PacLite® Rainy River Parka
Cabela's Rainy River GTX PacLite parka (and pants) are THE bargain in good quality, lightweight, breathable rainwear at the 2010 regular $99. price. The Taslanized fabric is a matte finish, unlike...

In Clothing - Raingear
August 08, 12:10am

Vargo Triad XE
The XE version of Vargo's Triad is an improvement in several ways. 1. After I complained of the original removable alcohol burner being too small the company owner responded by making it larger...

In Stoves - Alcohol
May 18, 8:51pm

Brunton Flex
This is the newer version of the Prumus/Brunton Crux canister-top stove and appears to have corrected faults reported by Crux owners. First the number of fold-out pot supports has increased from 3...

In Stoves - Canister
May 10, 3:38pm