BPL Community Profile

Mike M (mtwarden) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Montana
About Me Colin Chapman "Simplify and add lightness"
My PDF Gear List3 day "Shoulder Season" list- Rocky Mtns

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Mike M

Showing 2921 - 2930 of 3380 | Page: 1 ...284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 ...338

Forum » Thread

Ion
I'd agree w/ Dan that the Ion would be pretty close, my customized Ion looks to be pretty close in size/capacity- not sure why they discontinued it- seemed like they sold pretty well I do li...

In GEAR » Similar packs to MLD Burn
August 23, 8:08pm

Re: Re: Crazy Mountains, Montana
thanks- not much of photographer- get lucky once and again :) game warden- get to patrol high mountain lakes occasionally (not often enough) for anglers

In Post-Trip Reports » Crazy Mountains, Montana
August 19, 5:50pm

frameless w/ neo
I have to agree pretty good start :) I've had good luck going frameless (GL Ion) w/ my neoair- it's folded in half lengthways then in thirds- I leave the valve open and a little air gets...

In Gear Lists » Weekender Gear List
August 16, 9:00pm

poncho/tarp
my experience is w/ poncho/tarps which are roughly 5x8- these IMO require a bivy, it's possible w/ a larger tarp you could get by w/o one, but my bivy also provides bug protection, so even w/ a...

In GEAR » Is a bivy necessary with a tarp?
August 16, 1:11pm

hydration pocket
my Exos has a hydration pocket, does the Talon have something different?

In GEAR » Making the switch from Exos to Talon packs. Comfort?
August 16, 8:18am

haven vs duomid
Dan- I did take a close look at the haven, look to be very well designed- as you mention it is a little heavier (the inner is also a little heavier as well)-probably in the 6 oz range total, but th...

In GEAR » what "tent" to replace my Carbon Reflex 2
August 13, 7:53pm

decision time
a little followup: I chatted w/ Ron and he thought the speedmid might be a better option for two, he also said he would be able to make a slightly larger inner tent to better take advantage of t...

In GEAR » what "tent" to replace my Carbon Reflex 2
August 13, 4:41pm

kydex
I agree kydex is the best choice- indestructable and if done correctly very safe and secure there are several weights (thicknesses) of kydex- for a light knife a thinner kydexd is all that is ne...

In GEAR » ultralight knife sheaths?
August 13, 2:59pm

$1400
$1400 extra a month would be a great "dilemma" :) I don't have that dilemma, but have (will have actually) an extra $1400 from working the Sturgis Bike Rally- what I've dubbed my...

In GEAR » Wish List - One item Only
August 12, 4:17pm

rubber band
I use a rubberband on all my SP kits (450/600/900)- about the lightest option that works that I could find

In GEAR » How to pack Snowpeak trek 700
August 10, 8:44pm

All Reader Reviews by Mike M

Showing 1 - 10 of 33 | Page: 1 2 3 4

Review

Category

Petzl e+LITE
I thought I had added my review earlier on this lamp, but hadn't :) I've been very impressed w/ this diminutive lamp- if you're looking for a lamp for hours of night travel- this isn'...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
October 25, 12:08pm

Black Diamond Carbon Cork
@ 16 oz (pair) these are certainly heavier than some of the UL offerings, but still relatively light the FlickLock is about as solid of a adjustment as I've seen for trekking poles- I'm sur...

In Trekking Poles
October 18, 4:19pm

ULA Ohm
not sure why it's listed with the frameless packs, while not a robust frame- the carbon fiber/derlin frame is certainly a frame and definitely helps w/ the load capacity of this pack anywho- th...

In Backpacks - Frameless
October 13, 5:17pm

Montrail Sabino Trail
My first pair are over a year old now w/ ~ 500 backpacking/trail running miles- there is some light fraying here and there, but overall are still in very good condition. I've never had a hot spot...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
September 10, 5:23pm

Dirty Girl Gaiters
I'd probably go 4.5 just because of the needed velcro, but I like these enough I wanted to round up. They are breathable, they are light and they do a great job of keeping stuff out of your sho...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
September 10, 5:11pm

Osprey Talon 22
double post- whoops :)

In Backpacks - Frameless
January 03, 7:26pm

Osprey Talon 22
The Talon is a very full featured pack, that carries like a dream (w/ reasonable loads). I use it for snowshoeing day trips and it swallows up the gear- shovel, bivy, down parka, etc I love the be...

In Backpacks - Frameless
January 03, 7:22pm

Wet Fire Fire Starting Tinder
I'm a little redundant w/ fire starting stuff (boy scout in me I guess)- the wetfire tinders are my "if I absolutely need to start a fire" tinder. they will even burn in water or on sno...

In Miscellaneous Products
December 14, 7:49pm

Smartwool Beanie
my Smartwool beanie makes into both my day pack and multi-day trips, light weight, warm, takes up almost no space- I don't go anywhere w/o it going on two years and it still looks/fits great

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
November 20, 8:47pm

Moosejaw the company
I've made numerous transaction with moosejaw and they have always been smooth and hassle free. their staff is knowledgable and they frequently have the best prices on gear I do have one smal...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 30, 7:00pm