Dan Durston (dandydan) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale IntoCascadia.com
About Me -
CityThunder Bay
StateON
CountryCanada
My Website URLhttp://www.motorscooterguide.net
My PDF Gear ListBMWO 2013

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Dan Durston

Showing 2911 - 2920 of 4110 | Page: 1 ...283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 ...411

Forum » Thread

Locking tip
Why not use a locking tip and file it down as pointy as you wish? This seems a lot stronger than epoxying a nail to the end of your pole.

In Make Your Own Gear » Homemade light-weight tent pole. Any ideas?
May 30, 6:27pm

Re: Ultralight solo tent: which one to pick
"I know that Dan had a CR2 and really liked it. He has gone to the dark side now, however, with cuben this, and cuben that... ; )" Ha Ha...yeah. Besides one mishap that was my fault (c...

In GEAR » Ultralight solo tent: which one to pick?
May 30, 6:16pm

Re: Golite Shangri-la 1?
The Shangri-La 1 is 538g for the tarp and 425g for the inner net tent. Combine that with six 8g titanium stakes and a lighter groundsheet (ie. 25g for the MLD UL Groundsheet) and you're ready t...

May 30, 4:12pm

Fibraplex
If you can remove your existing tips, you could replace them with the 'point tips' from Fibraplex: http://www.fibraplex.com/ProductPages/Pointed_tips.htm Or you for an even bigger point...

May 30, 3:01pm

Reinforcement
Looking awesome. I love the versatility in how you can set it up.

In GEAR » New Cuben hammock tarp
May 30, 2:45pm

Lightest
The lightest option is a carbon one from Fibraplex (8 grains/inch). You can custom make one at their site to fit your needs. Next lightest would be an Easton Nanolight pole which you can order f...

May 29, 8:22pm

Wool Gloves
I use Icebreaker 320g/m2 wool gloves which weigh 1.8oz for a medium pair. Wool doesn't burn/melt when exposed to reasonable heat like a nylon glove does. It works great as both a pot lifter and...

In GEAR » pot lifters
May 29, 8:11pm

Re: superficial similarity?
"My main complaint with the Carbon Reflex 2 is that the tent sides tend to lift off the ground, especially in the middle, making the tent smaller than it could be." Yeah this occurs be...

May 29, 5:46pm

Re: Ultralight solo tent: which one to pick?
"The side entry is ideal...more headroom everywhere...considerably more waterproof" All good points "[Carbon Reflex 1] can be freestanding with the use of trekking poles at eac...

May 29, 2:48pm

KSO's
I've got a pair of VFF KSO's but I don't wear them very often because on a technical trail I have to constantly be staring at my feet so I don't stub my toes. This decreases my enjo...

In GEAR » Minimalist Footwear Recommendations for Hiking
May 29, 2:38pm

All Reader Reviews by Dan Durston

Showing 1 - 10 of 25 | Page: 1 2 3

Review

Category

Mountain Laurel Designs Cuben DuoMid
The DuoMid is the best shelter for solo hikers. Don't be misled by the "Duo" in its name - you could cram two hikers in here but it's poorly suited for that (ie. no vestibule space, ...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
September 22, 1:56pm

Evernew 300ml Dbl Wall Mug (ECA354)
I like the idea of a robust, double wall titanium mug that may be a bit heavier...

In Cookware - Titanium
September 22, 11:01am

Montane Minimus DT Pant
These pants are a very niche product. They're light (4.25oz Med) but the Pertex Shield+ m...

In Clothing - Raingear
September 22, 10:31am

Spark-Lite Fire Starter (Survival Gear - BPL Gear Shop)
I have this kit and the FireLite Mini kit. This sparker is a bit lighter than the FireLite Mini but I don't trust this sparker 100% like I do the FireLite. This sparker doesn't work well wh...

In First Aid and Survival Gear & Accessories
October 28, 11:21pm

BPL FireLite Firestarter
I love this FireLite Mini. It's the only thing that I 100% trust to start a fire. With a mini Bic you can run out of gas, be at too high of an altitude, get it wet or get it oily. Matches can ...

In First Aid and Survival Gear & Accessories
October 28, 11:19pm

Hyperlight Mtn Gear Echo I
I wasn't sure where to put this review as the Echo I can be used as either a tarp or a double wall tent. OVERVIEW I've given the Echo I 4 stars because it's quality construction...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
October 16, 4:15pm

Golite 2006 Reed Pants
I've got the original Reed pants (4oz in a size medium) and they are prefect rain pants for UL hiking. They've been adequately durable, totally waterproof and light. I don't want ankle zip...

In Clothing - Raingear
October 15, 10:27pm

Marmot Essence
Marmot has made a number of changes to this jacket over the years so criticisms of the earlier models are no longer relevant. My Essence is the 2009 model which has all waterproof zippers and it h...

In Clothing - Raingear
October 15, 10:22pm

Baladeo 22 Grams Knife
This knife is a brilliant design. Every part of it is functional and the result is a lot of knife for just 22g (or 24.3g as mine as actually weighs). When I opened the (very nice) box and first played...

In Miscellaneous Products
October 03, 6:10pm

Nite ize S-Biner
After using another small biner that failed due to a poor design, I switched the Nite Ize Size 1 biner for bear bagging this summer. I use one of these to clip to my 1.4mm spectra cord to my food sack...

In Miscellaneous Products
October 03, 5:56pm