Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Eric Blumensaadt (Danepacker) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Mojave Desert
About Me Retired H.S. teacher, 10 yr. Nat'l Nordic Ski Patroller, fmr. XC racer, Army ROTC winter survival instructor, hunter, backpacker, former ACA moving water canoeing instructor, sea kayaker.
FINALLY have become a lightweight (not UL)backpacker.
CityHenderson
StateNevada
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Eric Blumensaadt

Showing 2911 - 2920 of 4370 | Page: 1 ...283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 ...437

Forum » Thread

CC Tri Ti Inferno W/ wood for winter??
Has anyone used the Caldera Cone Tri Ti Inferno (wood burner) in winter? I've seen Hendrik's YouTube videos of it in winter but I'm wondering how well it really works in frigid temp...

In Winter Hiking » CC Tri Ti Inferno W/ wood for winter??
February 01, 1:43pm

Thanks guys
I'm checking all teh sites you've recommended. Aarn may be a bit large but I'll see if they have smaller sizes.

In GEAR » WANTED: UL Front "Wet Rib" ala Dana
February 01, 1:38pm

Thermolite Micro
My ONLY experience with Primaloft was 10 years ago with my Caribou Mountaineering summer bag. It lost over 1/2 its loft in 2 summers. Since then I have avoided Primaloft. That said, the new Primalo...

In GEAR » Primaloft One vs. Thermolite Micro?
February 01, 1:28pm

WANTED: UL Front "Wet Rib" ala Dana
I own a Dana Designs "Wet Rib" front zippered pouch W/water bottle pocket. It attatches to my lower pack straps and I can store a lot of stuff there like GORP, maps, compass, etc. Kinda &...

In GEAR » WANTED: UL Front "Wet Rib" ala Dana
January 31, 12:09pm

Silnylon & taut setup
Perhaps the best way to keep a nylon tent (sil or polyurethane coated) is to put an elastic band between the tent guylines and the stake to create constant tension. I'd do this only if I wa...

In GEAR » tarp / tent material
January 31, 11:39am

Freezer Bag
I prefer to freezer bagging it for 90% of my meals. Better taste, less expensive and healthier. THERE IS FAR TOO MUCH SODIUM IN THE COMMERCIAL FREEZE DRIED FOODS! (Mary Jane's excepted.) ...

In GEAR » Best Food Brands
January 31, 11:30am

Shovel pocket
My 2008 REI UL Cruise 60 has a "shovel pocket" on the front. If my Moment is wet when packing I put it in its stuff cack and then in the shovel pocket which protects most of it, the p...

In GEAR » Ways to pack a tent
January 30, 11:59pm

Hmmmm... technical as heck
Well, maybe the ultimate crampons would be titanium with 1/8" tips of carbide steel laser welded to them. Of course they'd be he!! to sharpen on the trail but probably wouldn't need it...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » best "all around" crampon
January 29, 6:30pm

My experience
I havee an old Polarguard insulated Caribou Mountaineering -5 F. sleeping bag that has a needle punched (tens of 1000s of tiny holes) mylar reflective sheet between twoinsulating batts of Polarguar...

In GEAR » S2S Thermolite Reactor Liners
January 29, 6:07pm

Same here
Did that after the 2nd use, when the rivets gave out. I dunno WHY BPL hasn't asked the company to fix the problem. But I only keep the "stove" in my survival belt pouch. No way to...

In GEAR » Fix for BPL Ti Esbitt Stove
January 29, 12:57pm

All Reader Reviews by Eric Blumensaadt

Showing 1 - 10 of 30 | Page: 1 2 3

Review

Category

Trail designs SideWinder
The Trail Designs Sidewinder is an "alternative" fuel stove that is a 3 fuel stove. I.e. it can burn alcohol, ESBIT tablets or wood. What's more it is highly efficient at all of these...

In Cookware - Other
June 18, 1:41am

Trail Designs SideWinder for AGG 2qt pot
My 3 cup Open Country pot is the perfect size for solo camping. It fits in the Sidewinder ti stove and using ESBIT with a modified Gram Cracker tablet holder (BGET) IMHO this is the perfect size sto...

In Stoves - Other
June 08, 2:06am

Tarptent Scarp 2
I purchased the Scarp 2 SPECIFICALLY for 4 season use. I knew I would modifiy it for winter use when I purchased it. The Scarp 2 is my 3rd Tarptent, following a Contrail and Moment SW. Like them it...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
November 02, 8:09pm

Allen and Mike's Backcountry Ski Book
"Allen & Mike's Really Cool Backcountry Ski Book" is the very best book on teh eop I have ever read - and I've read most of them in the last 40 years of backcountry skiing and ca...

In Books and Media
October 24, 8:01pm

REI Kimtah
Recently got the REI Kimtah eVent parka and on a Ruby Mountains, Nevada backpack found it to be as good a wind jacket as it is a rain parka. The sale price was $159.95 which is 30% off the regular ...

In Clothing - Raingear
October 03, 1:45am

Eddie Bauer Down Sweater
I purchased an Eddie Bauer Down Sweater (their term) on sale this summer for $89. It was reviewed by Will Riveted in his extensive articles of light down jackets and got a favorable, "middle-o...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
October 27, 8:15pm

Thermarest Trail Pro Regular
I won my Trail Pro regular at a Sierra Club Outings leaders training seminar, otherwise I would not have spent the money B/C I seldom car camp. But now I have an alternative for a winter ski camping m...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
May 03, 9:56pm

Brunton Crux
I bought the Brunton Flex because of its wider burner ring for better heat distribution so I wouldn't get a hot spot on the bottom of my pot when cooking. I was not aware that there was a Brunt...

In Stoves - Canister
January 29, 9:38pm

tarptent moment
I give the Moment a "5" because I feel it is currently the best solo single wall tent design. It has great quality, innovative design and excellent attention to detail. My previous solo ...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
December 24, 12:52pm

Carbelas GORE-TEX® PacLite® Rainy River Parka
Cabela's Rainy River GTX PacLite parka (and pants) are THE bargain in good quality, lightweight, breathable rainwear at the 2010 regular $99. price. The Taslanized fabric is a matte finish, unlike...

In Clothing - Raingear
August 08, 12:10am