Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Michael Ray (topshot) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Midwest
About Me Middle-aged father who got into backpacking late (2009) and wants to encourage his 17 and 8 year old sons to backpack lightweight. Video trip reports of all the adventures so far are on my YT site below.
StateIndiana
My Website URLhttp://www.youtube.com/user/topshotrhit
My PDF Gear ListMaroon Bells - August 2011

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Michael Ray

Showing 291 - 300 of 1079 | Page: 1 ...21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ...108

Forum » Thread

Re: Midwest GGG this fall
Wish I could make it but once again too far for me (even farther than last time). If anyone arranges one closer to IN, let me know.

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Midwest GGG this fall
October 24, 8:50pm

Re: Tarp Camping Techniques for Inclement Conditions
Nice rehash, and what you've learned over the years is especially insightful. Thankfully, I got to that point (KISS) pretty fast. I "fear" the flying insects more than weather so hope...

In Editor's Roundtable » Tarp Camping Techniques for Inclement Conditions
October 23, 9:52pm

Re: Space blanket
> Has anyone tried doing this with space blanket material? Technically, my first one (shown in my avatar as well) was since it's aluminized, but it's LDPE rather than mylar. The origi...

In Make Your Own Gear » Polycro Tarp Tested!
October 16, 6:40pm

Re: Ideal tie-outs?
You could run a stake through the grommets to take it to the ground (assuming you're using nail/hook stakes). I normally use bowline knots so have a smaller loop of line around the grommet that...

In Make Your Own Gear » Polycro Tarp Tested!
October 16, 3:49pm

Re: I need to show this to my son's future troop
Sounds like the typical old-school troop. You and your son can be the groundbreakers. :) You will need to be able to accommodate any group gear, but you can suggest lighter alternatives. The 70L...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Lightweight Scouting Dissertation
September 17, 2:50pm

Re: Good points re: wife - question re: layers
> I think she is a lost cause but my daughter very much wants to go car camping at least! That's good. Your wife will let you go out more so she can get a break. You get more quality time...

September 12, 10:11am

Re: adding the wife
Not to get my own topic off track much, but my advice on getting your wife involved would be to make it a date (no kids). Make it easy and comfortable for her. If she has fun with you she'll be...

September 12, 9:01am

Re: Bug tent
Thanks for the kind words, Phillip. I was pretty much in your shoes 3+ years ago when I also found this site. I second a tarptent if bugs are a major concern. I use a Lunar Duo anytime I am not ...

September 11, 8:36pm

Re: UltimateHike for cancer
> Each hiker commits to raising $2500, backed by their own credit card. Ah, didn't know it was that steep. I saw the $100 registration that would be put toward the goal. Maybe next year I...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » UltimateHike for cancer
August 06, 8:05pm

UltimateHike for cancer
I just happened to find out about this and saw no mention of it here. While 28+ miles would be a personal challenge for me, I can't make either date near me this year, but it seems like a cool ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » UltimateHike for cancer
August 05, 1:18pm

All Reader Reviews by Michael Ray

Michael Ray has posted no reviews.