Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Michael Ray (topshot) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Midwest
About Me Middle-aged father who got into backpacking late (2009) and wants to encourage his 17 and 8 year old sons to backpack lightweight. Video trip reports of all the adventures so far are on my YT site below.
StateIndiana
My Website URLhttp://www.youtube.com/user/topshotrhit
My PDF Gear ListMaroon Bells - August 2011

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Michael Ray

Showing 291 - 300 of 1090 | Page: 1 ...21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ...109

Forum » Thread

Major road trip to western parks - mainly Yosemite
Last summer, my son and I drove 5300+ miles in 20 days to Lassen Volcanic, Redwoods, Crater Lake (the main one) and Dinosaur. This summer, he has chosen Yosemite as the main destination. Since i...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Major road trip to western parks - mainly Yosemite
December 22, 8:42pm

Re: Shades
That was one of the 4 I thought would be unsuitable for 2 reasons. If you did EVERY trail in the park, which now includes the Pine Hills Nature Preserve, you'd barely get 15 miles and there wou...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Backpacking w/in 150 miles of Chicago?
December 10, 7:43pm

Re: bacteria
Would that really be a concern when you're only boiling water? Each boiling cycle should kill off anything that may be present anyway I'd think.

In Make Your Own Gear » Rolling the edge (lip) of a beer can pot
December 08, 5:10pm

Taking a 25 degree bag down to 0"
I tried to see how low I could go a few years ago. Took my 20f rei sub kilo to -2 and had one of my best nights ever. Go figure! Wore plenty of extra clothes and had my neoair sandwiched between 2 ...

In Winter Hiking » Taking a 25 degree bag down to 0
December 07, 9:07pm

Adding post to: "Rolling the edge (lip) of a beer can pot"
See if you can find another can to make a ring.

In Make Your Own Gear » Rolling the edge (lip) of a beer can pot
December 07, 8:46pm

Re: Backpacking w/in 150 miles of Chicago?
For that distance you'll be pretty much limited to state and national forest land. I'd guess Deam Wilderness just SE of Bloomington, IN, would be 5 hours. My map may be of some use in looki...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Backpacking w/in 150 miles of Chicago?
December 06, 3:21pm

Adding post to: "Packing list for scouts?"
Ken already linked to the paper I wrote so feel free to ask me any questions. Your description makes it sound like Forest Glen Preserve. Is that where you're going?

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Packing list for scouts?
December 04, 8:47pm

Re: another tape option
David Gardner shared another tape option - nylon sail repair tape. Not too expensive and he says it's lighter than duct tape.

In Make Your Own Gear » Polycro Tarp Tested!
November 26, 9:13pm

re: Fbc
He means use some cold water for those items that take a long time. You then add those and the needed hot water when ready to make the whole meal later. Another tip is to scratch half cup marks ...

In GEAR » Time/weight/volume - how to make freezerbag cooking actually work
November 25, 10:43pm

Re: Ideal tie-outs?
> Scotch-brand clear packaging tape might work as well; it's certainly cheaper. Maybe to hold the tieout, but not for the loop. It's also not UV resistant. Please report here your ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Polycro Tarp Tested!
October 31, 1:54pm

All Reader Reviews by Michael Ray

Michael Ray has posted no reviews.