Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Michael Ray (topshot) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Midwest
About Me Middle-aged father who got into backpacking late (2009) and wants to encourage his 17 and 8 year old sons to backpack lightweight. Video trip reports of all the adventures so far are on my YT site below.
StateIndiana
My Website URLhttp://www.youtube.com/user/topshotrhit
My PDF Gear ListMaroon Bells - August 2011

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Michael Ray

Showing 291 - 300 of 1056 | Page: 1 ...21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ...106

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Differences between the Jam and Pinnacle
> I also wear a 32 waist pant and have a fair bit of adjustment left on my belt. I could probably get 2 more inches tighter. We must wear the packs much differently. Is your's also a larg...

In GEAR » Differences between the Jam and Pinnacle
May 17, 10:05am

Re: Bears in Smokies
The 5-6 or so I ran across all took off as soon as they saw/heard me. Standard common sense applies of course.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » 2 night trip in the Smokies
May 17, 10:00am

Differences between the Jam and Pinnacle
This is for those considering getting the new Jam. I took the new 70L Jam (size large) out for an overnight and here are my impressions compared to the 2009 Pinnacle (also in large): 1. I definite...

In GEAR » Differences between the Jam and Pinnacle
May 17, 7:28am

Re: Stay AWAY from Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge
+1 to avoiding PF/Gat. Should be Exit 451 off I-40. If you wanted to see the western side, go in via Maryville and 321. Cades Cove loop road is typically busy so I wouldn't go there. Have...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » 2 night trip in the Smokies
May 17, 6:25am

Re: RE: Maroon Bells
I'd encourage you to check out other areas like I did. You'll run into less people, too. FWIW, I found the Sky Terrain map superior to the Trails Illustrated one.

In Pre-Trip Planning » Maroon Bells, Four Pass Loop
May 16, 8:55pm

Re: Maroon Bells, Four Pass Loop
Just like the rest of the Rockies, you could get about any weather. Records low for Aug is about 20. More commonly near 40, but you could get snow or ice. Afternoon storms are fairly common. If ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Maroon Bells, Four Pass Loop
May 16, 8:04pm

Re: Very inspiring
I hope to do this trip as well someday. Nicely done! I'm curious though why you like your poles so long as it didn't like look you were going downhill in most of those pics? All the advi...

In Editor's Roundtable » Success and Failure on the Colorado Trail
May 10, 6:01am

Comparison of Jam 70L to former Pinnacle
I took the new 70L Jam (size large) out for an overnight and here are my impressions compared to the 2009 Pinnacle (also in large): 1. I definitely don't like the new hipbelt sizing and part o...

In GEAR » Jam 50L and MH Thruway: final initial thoughts
May 08, 1:56pm

Re: Backpacking food
I loosely base many of my meals off of a few recipes at trailcooking.com

In GEAR » Backpacking food
May 07, 4:33pm

Re: AHT Maps
I had gotten a decent horse trail map from 1990 a couple years ago when I requested a variety of maps for free from the main DNR office. When I contacted O'Bannon SP recently, they sent me an A...

In Post-Trip Reports » Adventure Hiking Trail (IN)
May 01, 7:15pm

All Reader Reviews by Michael Ray

Michael Ray has posted no reviews.