BPL Community Profile

Michael Ray (topshot) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Midwest
About Me Middle-aged father who got into backpacking late (2009) and wants to encourage his 16 and 7 year old sons to backpack lightweight. Video trip reports of all the adventures so far are on my YT site below.
StateIndiana
My Website URLhttp://www.youtube.com/user/topshotrhit
My PDF Gear ListMaroon Bells - August 2011

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Michael Ray

Showing 291 - 300 of 1008 | Page: 1 ...21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ...101

Forum » Thread

Re: New Pack Design
> With a longer pad (closer to what Will used I believe) I found a very noticable difference in comfort between a folded pad (better) and a rolled pad (worse). So you started carrying a longe...

In Editor's Roundtable » MYOG: Backpack Design
April 15, 12:53pm

Re: WTB - Campmor Down 20
Campmor no longer makes them unfortunately. The Kelty Cosmic 20 or Light Year 40 (if you have extra clothing as needed) are your next best bets for low cost in down. They can sometimes be found on ...

In Gear Swap » WTB - Campmor Down 20
April 15, 5:48am

Anything better than a 70L Jam (older Pinnacle) for my needs?
I'm going to pass down my current Pinnacle to my son. I like everything about the pack except its weight (I've trimmed it down to 28+ oz) and it struggles to carry over 25 lbs unless I augm...

In GEAR » Anything better than a 70L Jam (older Pinnacle) for my needs?
April 14, 7:34pm

Tieout tape failure tests
I wish I had a fish scale or similar to make this more objective, but I played around with some different tape combinations to see how much force it would take for them to fail. You can see ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Polycro Tarp Tested!
April 14, 3:16pm

Re: net door closure
Yep, the zipper eliminated having to figure something that would work with an opening that varied 20" in width. If you always pitched it the same width within reason, your idea and a few other...

In Make Your Own Gear » LDPE no-sew (almost) tent
April 14, 12:29pm

Re: Washer failure
Frankly, if it doesn't hold now, I'll just go back to my loops of tape. They don't look as elegant, but they worked. I will theorize it failed because I folded the tape right against th...

April 13, 7:43pm

Re: Re: The weight is all in the Tape
I actually had a failure point this morning. One of the washers ripped out of the tape (the very corner I took the picture of earlier). I did get pretty small washers (3/8 OD I think) but this tape...

April 13, 10:34am

Re: The weight is all in the Tape
It didn't look like you had used more than 1 large piece per tieout. As long as your guys are, I bet they're at least as heavy as the tape. Anyway, for reference, my Prototype 1 (LDPE) weig...

April 13, 7:50am

Re: Re: LDPE no-sew (almost) tent
For anyone that had been watching this thread, Prototype 2 is now in the works. Different material and no netting at this point. I also increased length a foot so it's 6' x 9' now and c...

In Make Your Own Gear » LDPE no-sew (almost) tent
April 13, 6:33am

Re: Re: Another Polycryo Tarp!
Dennis, I think you could do it either way. It would be a little cleaner putting them within the hem, but I would still add tape in both directions. I don't think the material would continue t...

April 13, 6:12am

All Reader Reviews by Michael Ray

Michael Ray has posted no reviews.