Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Michael Ray (topshot) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Midwest
About Me Middle-aged father who got into backpacking late (2009) and wants to encourage his 17 and 8 year old sons to backpack lightweight. Video trip reports of all the adventures so far are on my YT site below.
StateIndiana
My Website URLhttp://www.youtube.com/user/topshotrhit
My PDF Gear ListMaroon Bells - August 2011

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Michael Ray

Showing 291 - 300 of 1085 | Page: 1 ...21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ...109

Forum » Thread

Re: Backpacking w/in 150 miles of Chicago?
For that distance you'll be pretty much limited to state and national forest land. I'd guess Deam Wilderness just SE of Bloomington, IN, would be 5 hours. My map may be of some use in looki...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Backpacking w/in 150 miles of Chicago?
December 06, 3:21pm

Adding post to: "Packing list for scouts?"
Ken already linked to the paper I wrote so feel free to ask me any questions. Your description makes it sound like Forest Glen Preserve. Is that where you're going?

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Packing list for scouts?
December 04, 8:47pm

Re: another tape option
David Gardner shared another tape option - nylon sail repair tape. Not too expensive and he says it's lighter than duct tape.

In Make Your Own Gear » Polycro Tarp Tested!
November 26, 9:13pm

re: Fbc
He means use some cold water for those items that take a long time. You then add those and the needed hot water when ready to make the whole meal later. Another tip is to scratch half cup marks ...

In GEAR » Time/weight/volume - how to make freezerbag cooking actually work
November 25, 10:43pm

Re: Ideal tie-outs?
> Scotch-brand clear packaging tape might work as well; it's certainly cheaper. Maybe to hold the tieout, but not for the loop. It's also not UV resistant. Please report here your ...

October 31, 1:54pm

Re: Re: Ideal tie-outs?
> The first is to attach the corner guys with a sheet bend, Ray Jardine-style. I'm surprised it distributes the force better but if it works for you, go for it. I'd think it would cau...

October 29, 7:05pm

Re: Midwest GGG this fall
Wish I could make it but once again too far for me (even farther than last time). If anyone arranges one closer to IN, let me know.

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Midwest GGG this fall
October 24, 8:50pm

Re: Tarp Camping Techniques for Inclement Conditions
Nice rehash, and what you've learned over the years is especially insightful. Thankfully, I got to that point (KISS) pretty fast. I "fear" the flying insects more than weather so hope...

In Editor's Roundtable » Tarp Camping Techniques for Inclement Conditions
October 23, 9:52pm

Re: Space blanket
> Has anyone tried doing this with space blanket material? Technically, my first one (shown in my avatar as well) was since it's aluminized, but it's LDPE rather than mylar. The origi...

October 16, 6:40pm

Re: Ideal tie-outs?
You could run a stake through the grommets to take it to the ground (assuming you're using nail/hook stakes). I normally use bowline knots so have a smaller loop of line around the grommet that...

October 16, 3:49pm

All Reader Reviews by Michael Ray

Michael Ray has posted no reviews.