Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Michael Ray (topshot) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Midwest
About Me Middle-aged father who got into backpacking late (2009) and wants to encourage his 17 and 8 year old sons to backpack lightweight. Video trip reports of all the adventures so far are on my YT site below.
StateIndiana
My Website URLhttp://www.youtube.com/user/topshotrhit
My PDF Gear ListMaroon Bells - August 2011

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Michael Ray

Showing 291 - 300 of 1063 | Page: 1 ...21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ...107

Forum » Thread

Re: Tarp for a newbie?
See this thread for ideas on the cheapest decent tarp I know of.

In GEAR » Tarp for a newbie?
May 20, 10:41am

Re: Same method?
Ahhhhh. I AM stretching it (as it would be while wearing it). That didn't matter a lot with the old style but this new design has a lot of give in it. Once I lose my winter weight gain, the ...

In GEAR » Differences between the Jam and Pinnacle
May 17, 3:35pm

Re: Differences between the Jam and Pinnacle
I just had my son help me stretch them out to measure so these are more accurate wingtip to wingtip numbers (outside edges of 3D mesh where buckle straps attach): 2009 Pinnacle Large: 30-1/8&quo...

May 17, 2:33pm

Re: Good news!
+1 I only have 1 bag (REI Sub Kilo 20) and have used it from -2 to 70.

In GEAR » Sleeping bag help
May 17, 2:00pm

Re: I'm a Phony Lightweight Backpacker
> A hard shell food bucket is required so I added a 6 gallon plastic bucket with lid. What type of pack are you experimenting with that can fit a 6 gallon bucket??? You could have made a pack...

In Chaff » I'm a Phony Lightweight Backpacker
May 17, 1:57pm

Re: Bears
The NPS is very good about shutting down sites for a while that have had excessive bear visits. 28 had been closed just before my trip that year so I went to 26 instead. Currently 113 is closed for...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » 2 night trip in the Smokies
May 17, 1:13pm

Re: Differences between the Jam and Pinnacle
What does your's measure wingtip to wingtip (where the buckle straps attach) if you stretch it out? Mine is about 33" so it could never go below that without modifying the pockets also. Pe...

May 17, 12:42pm

Re: Re: Differences between the Jam and Pinnacle
> I also wear a 32 waist pant and have a fair bit of adjustment left on my belt. I could probably get 2 more inches tighter. We must wear the packs much differently. Is your's also a larg...

May 17, 10:05am

Re: Bears in Smokies
The 5-6 or so I ran across all took off as soon as they saw/heard me. Standard common sense applies of course.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » 2 night trip in the Smokies
May 17, 10:00am

Differences between the Jam and Pinnacle
This is for those considering getting the new Jam. I took the new 70L Jam (size large) out for an overnight and here are my impressions compared to the 2009 Pinnacle (also in large): 1. I definite...

May 17, 7:28am

All Reader Reviews by Michael Ray

Michael Ray has posted no reviews.