Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Michael Ray (topshot) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Midwest
About Me Middle-aged father who got into backpacking late (2009) and wants to encourage his 16 and 7 year old sons to backpack lightweight. Video trip reports of all the adventures so far are on my YT site below.
StateIndiana
My Website URLhttp://www.youtube.com/user/topshotrhit
My PDF Gear ListMaroon Bells - August 2011

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Michael Ray

Showing 291 - 300 of 1046 | Page: 1 ...21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ...105

Forum » Thread

Re: Gmap4 - How to make a trail map
Joseph, At the top of each thread, you'll see a "watch this thread" link near the right menu bar. You can see which ones you have subscribed to by "view my profile" in the ...

In On the Web » Gmap4 - Enhanced Google map viewer + high resolution topo maps + more
May 01, 7:19am

Re: 2 night trip in the Smokies
Hey, Erick. I'm over in Terre Haute. GSMNP was my first major trip 3 years ago. They are long but you may find my videos of the loops I did useful. GSMNP Trail Map. The shelters and camps...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » 2 night trip in the Smokies
April 27, 7:27am

Re: Breathing in sleeping bag?
The few times I've winter camped so far, I just leave a hole over my face and parts of the edge of that hole have been wet/frozen in the morning. I use a down bag.

In GEAR » Breathing in sleeping bag?
April 27, 6:36am

Re: Shipping?
7 days to get my packs to IN. Still good in my book considering the amount of shipping they've had to do for this sale.

In Gear Deals » Crazy Golite Sale
April 27, 6:26am

Re: Walmart prices / straps
I just checked again and my Walmart has the Flick-locks in green and orange for $13.88 each and the twist locks for $19.97/pair. Eric PM'd me re: proper strap technique and that is the way I...

In Make Your Own Gear » FLIPLOCK, 3sect, Al walmart pole -- modified to 6.9oz
April 27, 6:17am

Re: The Perils of Certainty
Ken, Is this essentially how you became "misplaced" on the AT 3 years ago? I never did see your side of the story of what occurred. You can PM if you wish. Thanks.

In Editor's Roundtable » The Perils of Certainty
April 25, 11:51am

Re: "I'd say you have to know your son's limits."
Remember it is not about you. :) So your "desire to go faster and farther" means nothing here. He must enjoy it and remain safe, of course, so force 5-10 minute breaks every hour or whate...

In Post-Trip Reports » Adventure Hiking Trail (IN)
April 24, 9:14am

Re: Re: Packweight is a factor of fear...
Andrew says in his book that he took an 80-hour course which greatly increased the weight of his FAK. I thought that rather ironic since most people's FAK get much smaller after WFA, but he did...

In Philosophy & Technique » Wilderness First Aid: A backpacker's view
April 24, 9:07am

Re: re: Adventure Hiking Trail (IN)
I'll answer a little more in depth anyway. I did not weigh his pack this year so I roughly guessed that it was 5 lbs max based on what changed. He weighs 38. Last year's trip his base weigh...

In Post-Trip Reports » Adventure Hiking Trail (IN)
April 24, 6:48am

Re: Tear apart my list, please!
> I know pack comparisons run rampant here and that I could shave an easy lb by going with something like the Jam rather than the Flash 62, but I'm nervous about shedding the internal frame ...

In Gear Lists » Tear apart my list, please!
April 23, 8:54am

All Reader Reviews by Michael Ray

Michael Ray has posted no reviews.