Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Martin Rye (rye1966) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale UK
About Me I work with the homeless in the East of England. Scotland is my main destination to go backpacking. I am a backpacker, nothing more.
CountryUK
My Website URLhttps://martinrye.wordpress.com

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Martin Rye

Showing 291 - 299 of 299 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Forum » Thread

Ultra light equipment in wet Scotland or hot South Africa
Simon Pemberton’s original point on this posting was about how Andy Skurka would get on with his use of ultra light equipment in Scotland with its: wet, windy, and very occasionally sunny weather...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Andy Skurka in Scotland
April 03, 1:18pm

selecting a waterproof stuff sack
David I use Exped Dry bags and they work. I put my down bag in its own dry bag and all my gear then goes in a 65L dry bag all made by Exped. I live in the UK and it rains a lot and I have never h...

In GEAR » Help selecting a waterproof stuff sack for storing my down sleeping bag
March 29, 6:20pm

Re: Andy Skurka in Scotland
I hope Andy Skurka has a good time on the 2008 Challenge. In a recent TGO magazine he was interviewed and said what he hoped to get out of taking part. I liked Rob Hausams article and many challen...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Andy Skurka in Scotland
March 29, 5:15pm

The bag for you in the UK
I use a Marmot Atom in a long length. It’s light though weights a little more than Marmot state. See the reviews on the gear forums. I am 6`2 and its great with loads of room yet is warm and c...

In GEAR » lightweight sleeping bags for tall people
March 27, 5:03pm

Right to camp
Darren great work in getting support for the right to wild camp south of Scotland. We have a raw deal compared to our fellow UK citizens in Scotland when it comes to enjoying the hills and high mo...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Want to support an E-Petition on wild-camping in England/Wales?
March 22, 11:25am

Good pic
Dan your first photo of the Buachaille is great, not seen a photo from that angle before

In Photo Gallery » The West Highlands, Scotland!
December 11, 4:47pm

Pertex and Pile
I use the Buffalo Special 6 shirt a lot. It’s good in the winter and I use it Oct to May. Pluses are warm and damp resistance except in heavy rain then you need to put a shell over it. It’s ...

In GEAR » Pertex & Pile?
December 09, 6:02pm

Top poles
I used a pair of these on the TGO Challenge 07 and they performed brilliant. Good points are low weight and good design along with excellent grip and strap design. Only fault was the grip worked ...

In Editor's Roundtable » 2007 Alpkit Carbonlite Trekking Poles REVIEW
December 09, 5:17pm

On the TGO Challenge 07

In Photo Gallery » On the TGO Challenge 07
December 09, 2:38pm

All Reader Reviews by Martin Rye

Showing 1 - 8 of 8 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Haglofs LIM55 LIM55
The LIM55 is a good pack with a claimed weight of 1075G - on my scales it tips in at 1092. The pack has aluminium 6005 - T6 bar as a frame with perforated foam for comfort and padding on the back. It...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
July 15, 6:36am

The Backpacker's Handbook by Chris Townsend
As backpacking is about getting out in to the wilderness and not gear the book is superb. Some hike light and some heavy. Chris caters for each. It helps the beginner steering them to make good inf...

In Books and Media
June 25, 4:16pm

Inov8 RocLite 318 GTX
Used these on my last backpack for a week in Scotland. Poor paths and often no paths, yet comfort all the way. Only concern would be to hot in summer due to the lining. I had no heel lift and total...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
June 11, 11:19am

Alpkit CarbonLite
A while back I gave these poles 5 out 5. A year on they are not used. Poor quality control is an issue. The handles slip of and the tips were fast and the baskets fall of. Under a year is not acce...

In Trekking Poles
June 09, 1:44pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
It’s a great pad, no leaks, no problems. It’s given me comfort all over the hills and dales. As for the view it’s on the heavy side trust me it feels lighter to have one of these in your pack after ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
May 19, 5:04pm

Terra Nova Laser
Nice to see some one appreciating this tent more than the Laser competition. I bought this to replace my Hilleberg Akto as I was fed up of being cramped do to poor head room. I love the Laser and it...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
April 05, 11:54am

Gregory G pack
I bought this pack for a two week coast to coast rout across Scotland (TGO 07) I needed a light pack that was stable as I intended to do a few summits via ridges etc. The good points where comfort at...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
December 11, 4:22pm

Hilleberg Akto
I used an Akto for three years. Great tent though strong wind does blow the sides in. Not one for tall people like me at 6ft 2. You won’t be able to sit up and the sloping sides get annoying after ...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
December 09, 4:59pm