BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 291 - 300 of 1556 | Page: 1 ...21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ...156

Forum » Thread

Re: Post Shrink Stress Test
D. Johnson, Thank you for the continued analysis... really interesting!

In Make Your Own Gear » Polycryo Strength Analysis
February 15, 9:09am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Polycryo Strength Analysis
Michael, The Space Brand Emergency Blanket from MPI Outdoors is .00048" thick. The material is spec’ed, by the manufacturer, as having a tensile strength of 12,500 lbs./sq. in. So, (0.000...

February 13, 8:40pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Polycryo Strength Analysis
Michael, You said, "I'm curious now how mylar space blankets would fare in your tests?" - Theorectically they will provide ~6 lbs of tensile strength per in2 surface area. You s...

February 13, 7:37pm

Polycryo Strength Analysis
D. Johnson, Really interesting analysis... thank you! Just using engineering specs, the following appear to be the theoretical (smile) limits for the materials you are using: Polycryo - (...

February 13, 1:03am

Re: Suitable packrafting expedition backpacks?
Rob, I have used both a standard Pinnacle and modified Pinnacle (DIY frame sheet) with a decked Alpacka. On the plus sides, the clean exterior of the Pinnacle greatly reduces the risks of entang...

In Packrafting » Suitable packrafting expedition backpacks?
February 12, 1:33pm

Re: Help me understand - Being Politically Correct
Erik, I have made multiple prior posts explaining that NO synthetic garments that I lab tested, unlike the down garments, were close to their theoretical Iclo specification. I don’t doubt the ...

In GEAR » A New Paradigm for Understanding Garment Warmth
January 30, 7:36pm

Re: ugh
Ryley, I answered the same question a little simpler two months after the prior post I referenced. See http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_t...

In GEAR » Head heat loss
January 30, 2:38pm

Re: Head heat loss
Ryley, The physiological factors that are a result of slow onset hypothermia, such as vaso constriction of the limbs but, not the head, have been explained by me in a number of posts. For one ex...

In GEAR » Head heat loss
January 30, 2:03pm

Golite Bitterroot Iclo

In GEAR » A New Paradigm for Understanding Garment Warmth
January 30, 11:24am

Re: quality silnylon
Samuel, The Shield (TM) silynylon that I tested was from Thru-Hiker. I am not aware of any other high quality silnylon source for the DIY folks. See "Shield Silnylon +1 on 10/04/2011 21:42:...

In GEAR » 1P UL's
January 25, 11:37am

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm