BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 291 - 300 of 1540 | Page: 1 ...21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ...154

Forum » Thread

Subjectivity Screams and Science Whispers
I have scientifically measured the air permeability of both garments. Whispering quietly... "the Montbell model tests 6.19 Frazier CFM versus 38.12 Frazier CFM for the Patagonia model."

In GEAR » lightest windshirt that can withstand backpack abrasion
January 09, 10:22am

Re: RE: "A New Paradigm for Understanding Garment Warmth"
Patrick, The Patagonia UL down shirt is 1.66 Iclo. That shirt plus a MB UL Down Hoody and doing camp chores, sheltered from the wind, will be thermo-neutral at ~31F.

In GEAR » A New Paradigm for Understanding Garment Warmth
January 06, 11:16pm

Dexterous insulated leather glove
I have tried many; the Cabela's Kangaroo Leather Thinsulateā„¢ Shooting Gloves is the best I found, by a wide margin. The Gore-Tex version of this glove is significantly less dexterous.

In GEAR » winter gloves system
January 05, 3:25pm

Re: Re: EN13537 vs US based Temp ratings
Roger, +1

In GEAR » EN13537 vs US based Temp ratings
December 24, 1:59pm

Re: Whats Warmer Roan Plateau or Alpine Light
Roan Plateau

In GEAR » Whats Warmer Roan Plateau or Alpine Light
December 20, 11:56am

Re: Does down absorb humidity?
Yes but... put things in perspective by the fact that, at 100% relative humidity, the Moisture Regain for Merino wool is ~33-35%, cotton is ~23%, down is ~17%, the nylon shell is ~8%, and PET is ~2%.

In GEAR » Need a puffy layer...
December 20, 8:10am

Re: The usual suspects, the usual place...12/10/11
The experiences/values you are teaching your son are priceless! It is nice that you also get to benefit.

In Post-Trip Reports » The usual suspects, the usual place...12/10/11
December 13, 9:33am

Re: CLO of Patagonia ultralight jacket/hoody?
Pat, They test the same. The key to maximizing the warmth of small down channel garmets, like these, is to always wear them under a windshirt or hardshell. This will capture still air pockets ov...

December 10, 4:08pm

Re: Re: Overbag Sizing & Temp Rating Est.
A 30F degree bag has an average EN13537 LLimit clo value of ~5.88 which equals the ~.91 m2K/W standard stipulation.

In Winter Hiking » Overbag Sizing & Temp Rating Est.
December 04, 9:15pm

EB Mountain Guide Jacket
4.35 iclo

November 28, 7:27am

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm