BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 291 - 300 of 5440 | Page: 1 ...21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ...544

Forum » Thread

Simple Solution

In Make Your Own Gear » Newbie Seam Sealing my Moment DW
February 08, 8:02pm

Re: Current UL windshirts and breathability: are there other options and layering techniques?
Buy an older version of the Houdini on Gear Swap seems to be a simple solution for the time being.

In GEAR » Current UL windshirts and breathability: are there other options and layering techniques?
February 08, 7:55pm

Re: Sleep aids
Go backpacking more often?

In GEAR » Sleep aids
February 08, 7:50pm

Re: A Casual Poll: Your Fave Go-to 3 season Solo Shelter
Basic Hexamid Solo (non-netting, no beak version). Ruta Locura carbon fiber pole. About 8 ounces for everything. Has handled rain, sleet, light snow, and wind. My go to shelter for mos...

In GEAR » A Casual Poll: Your Fave Go-to 3 season Solo Shelter
February 08, 7:46pm

Re: Your first "UL" piece of gear?
In 1971 I retired my 5.5 lb REI a-frame tent with a poncho/tarp.

In GEAR » Your first "UL" piece of gear?
February 08, 7:30pm

Re: Updated SUL Clothing 40F
This is ass-backwards; to make the required clothing system fit into an arbitrary weight. The way to approach this is to determine what clothing you need to meet the conditions and then, and only t...

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » Updated SUL Clothing 40F
January 30, 11:43am

Re: What's your big four weigh/cost? Me- 2 lbs 8.4 oz/$773
Kelty D4 External Frame Pack = 58 ounces @ $45 Chouinard Pyramid Shelter = 40 ounces @ $99 Blue Puma 35F sleeping bag = 30 ounces @ $200 Blue Foam Pad = 8 ounces @ $2.00 Total Weight 8 lbs, 8...

In GEAR » What's your big four weigh/cost? Me- 2 lbs 8.4 oz/$773
January 30, 10:04am

Re: Still pending?
It's too bad it hasn't been updated. The comments in the thread were overall very positive. Doug Ide posted some very good links that should be read. Unfortunately, there are many blogs tha...

In Editor's Roundtable » Mountain Laurel Designs TrailStar Shelter Review
January 29, 12:19am

Re: Alarm Clocks
I always bring and use big over the ear headphones... on airplanes. Otherwise, I leave them and the attached device at home.

In Multiple Use Gear » Ear Plugs / Headphones
January 28, 10:46pm

Bravo!
Well done. Be careful, it can become addicting.

In Post-Trip Reports » A Desert Noob visits Big Bend
January 28, 6:02pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am