BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 291 - 300 of 5285 | Page: 1 ...21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ...529

Forum » Thread

Re: Mechanical pencils
"I feel foolish giving a serious reply to this but I can't resist" You doubt the importance of the subject?

In GEAR » Which Pencil for the JMT?
December 05, 5:18pm

Re: I'll second the rx100
Been extremely happy with mine. Had it for almost a year. Christmas 2012 gift from my lovely wife.

In Photography » New camera suggestions
December 05, 12:22pm

Re: Tram Shoeing
Andy, Don't forget the trail to the tram from the bottom of the mountain :) Crampons and ice axe not needed yet... maybe this weekend.

In Winter Hiking » Who in So Cal is going out this COLD weekend?
December 05, 12:18pm

Re: Canisters...
No I haven't done the adapter to the Globe Trotter. I really haven't used it much in recent years. Same for an old Gerry stove and my Optimus 731 Mousetrap. Ran out of canisters a long time...

In Philosophy & Technique » Your "stupid light" moments.
December 05, 12:13pm

Re: Re: Hendrick
"As far as the Hendrick goes, what else can be said at this point and is it worth the energy drain when it's pretty clear that the series is in suspended animation until further notice?&qu...

In Community Support Forum » Where's Hendrik?
December 05, 11:19am

Re: lantern
"I use to have that lantern! I still have the matching stove (globe trotter)." Same here. Still have several canisters too. The stove wasn't stupid light for its time. Here is a pi...

In Philosophy & Technique » Your "stupid light" moments.
December 05, 9:16am

Re: Re: Back to Pencil
James, you missed the Faber / John Muir connection. On Muir's 1,000 mile walk he ended up in Cedar Keys, FL and worked in a saw mill there, harvesting redcedar, which was used for penci...

In GEAR » Which Pencil for the JMT?
December 05, 9:06am

Re: Re: Re: Bivy
There was a time when I often used a poncho/tarp with bivy. The bivy was needed to overcome the small surface area of the tarp. New materials allow much bigger tarps (i.e. 8' X 10') at...

In GEAR » Best stand-alone bivy?
December 04, 10:58pm

Re: air pump
Well MB, +1 !

In GEAR » air mattress pump?
December 04, 10:35pm

Re: Re: Re: cold weather performance upright canister
I have seen bUrton stoves and canisters at discount places like Big 5 Sporting Goods. A long time ago I checked into the canisters and they were something like iso/pro 70/30. Don't know if your...

In Philosophy & Technique » cold weather performance upright canister
December 04, 9:59pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am