BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 291 - 300 of 1837 | Page: 1 ...21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ...184

Forum » Thread

Re: Axe + saw require for a hot tent for winter backpacking
+1 regarding the Sawvivor saw ... strong, rigid, folds into a quite packable size/shape with the blade fully enclosed. Lightest saw I've seen that can cut a 6 inch diameter log quickly. Light...

In GEAR » Axe + saw require for a hot tent for winter backpacking
December 10, 12:07am

Re: Snowing again
About 400 miles west or west-northwest of Stephen depending on where he is in central MI. 16 hours ago we had about an inch on the ground. Forecast to continue another 12 hours (but at less t...

In Chaff » First Proper snow
December 09, 3:48pm

Chasing Ice
I just got back from a screening of Chasing Ice. I would have preferred to see more footage of retreating glaciers and less about the trial and tribulations experienced getting the footage but w...

In Chaff » Chasing Ice
December 07, 11:38pm

Re: Anyone for Minnesota during December?
Silly me for thinking my December life was wide open. The dust hasn't settled since I started this thread and the rest of the month looks worse. But at least I stirred up a short list of ...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Anyone for Minnesota during December?
December 07, 11:30pm

Re: Equipment to breath warm air at night.
John Abela of HikeLighter.com was loving some face mask thing I believe this is what that was Same company has other products that are not full balaclava ... find them suggested at the bottom...

In GEAR » Equipment to breath warm air at night.
December 04, 3:43pm

Re: Spooning as hypothermia first aid
I take a short (16 hour) "wilderness first aid" refresher course at least once every three years (BSA rules for backcountry outings) and also occasionally attend winter camping lectures b...

In GEAR » Question of the Day- which is better?
December 03, 9:05pm

Re: Aluminum sheet
Roger, Regarding your aluminum scraper ... yes shovels are heavier but after using a scraper tool without a handle (SnowClaw) I'm sticking with a shovel. But I'm wondering about the c...

In Editor's Roundtable » Camping in the Snow
November 30, 3:54pm

Re: how breathable a wind shell is
Thanks for the fantastic post, Richard. Yet another example of "there is no single best ______ for ______". Far too few product evaluations acknowledge the variability between indiv...

In GEAR » how breathable a wind shell is
November 26, 6:05pm

Re: 40% Neoair X-THERM at Eddie Bauer
and "everything" includes First Ascent too. good selection of sizes and colors on the couple things I checked.

In Gear Deals » 40% Neoair X-THERM at Eddie Bauer
November 26, 2:58am

Anyone for Minnesota during December?
Looking for cold hardy backpackers for a weekend in December. I can do 12/8-9, 12/15-16 or 12/29-30. Could also add Friday to those weekends if there's interest.

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Anyone for Minnesota during December?
November 23, 6:50pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am