BPL Community Profile

Rick Dreher (halfturbo) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Northernish California
About Me There once was a hiker from Nantucket....

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rick Dreher

Showing 291 - 300 of 1656 | Page: 1 ...21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ...166

Forum » Thread

Re: Brainfart....bought dark grey wicking shirt. Should I return it, or not that big a deal?
Maybe you're just being cunning. Many desert folks wear black, IIUC the theory being in balance it radiates more heat than it absorbs. In practice, I don't experience any difference betw...

In GEAR » Brainfart....bought dark grey wicking shirt. Should I return it, or not that big a deal?
June 09, 12:01pm

Re: Best and lightest one cup soup mix?
Bouillon cubes are basically flavored salt, so there's little caloric energy to be had from them. Better tasting are individual bouillon paste packets (e.g., Trader Joes) but they'd need to...

In GEAR » Best and lightest one cup soup mix?
June 09, 11:43am

Re: The over use of lighters
BIC failures I've experienced have mostly been jammed spark wheels and magical disappearance of the flint. I don't know how the second occurs and the first seems to happen because either th...

In GEAR » The over use of lighters
June 09, 11:12am

Re: Camera System Upgrade Suggestions
Oh boy, this is a big jump (high quality compact to system camera and lenses). Since you're starting from scratch you have an advantage over those already invested in this or that format/compan...

In Photography » Camera System Upgrade Suggestions
June 08, 3:58pm

Two new "mirrorless" bodies
Sony and soon, Panasonic are rolling out new miniscule bodies for their NEX and GF series, respectively. The NEX C3 has hard specs, notably the body is less than 8 ounces with battery. Pretty amazi...

In Photography » Two new "mirrorless" bodies
June 08, 10:21am

Re: Across Iceland by Packraft
A month unsupported, wow. Congratulations to you both! Any opportunities with all that water, to supplement your diet with fish? Thanks for the article and fine photos. Cheers, Rick

In Editor's Roundtable » Across Iceland by Packraft
June 07, 3:27pm

Re: The over use of lighters
BICs aren't as good as they used to be but matches have become even worse--they're awful. Piezo lighters fail to light at altitude. Department of redundancy department has me packing two...

In GEAR » The over use of lighters
June 06, 9:59pm

Re: Tents vs. Wind Machine
Once upon a time...I investigated the O-tent at EW's original shop and have to say, it was quite the rig compared to competing mountaineering tents at the time. I loved how it suspended the inn...

In GEAR » Tents vs. Wind Machine
June 06, 9:52pm

Re: Moving to Oakhurst, Ca
Great launch spot for Sierra adventures! And don't worry, it gets blazing hot there. Just not this week. Enjoy your new location. Cheers, Rick

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Moving to Oakhurst, CA
June 05, 10:14pm

Re:Holga
Hi Ken, Sweet! I'll bet it's a lot of fun, and the output must be one surprise after another. Can you meter with the thing or is it guesswork? Cheers, Rick

In GEAR » ul camera
June 04, 9:53pm

All Reader Reviews by Rick Dreher

Showing 1 - 7 of 7 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Mountain Gear
I've placed a few orders with Mountain Gear, going as far back as when they were based in Idaho, and they've responded flawlessly each time. I admire the breadth and high quality of their sele...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 15, 2:03pm

Backcountrygear.com
I have to put in a plug for these folks, with whom I've shopped on line and over the phone, and who also have a store in soggy Eugene, Oregon. They have a great backpacking and climbing selection f...

November 20, 6:47pm

Recreational Equipment, Inc. (REI)
As another Seattle kid who loved few things more than pilgrammages to the Capitol Hill store, I still associate the smell of cresote with hiking gear. It's hard to imagine backpacking without REI. ...

November 20, 6:22pm

Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover
I upgraded to the Micro Puff pullover after several seasons with the old Puffball pullover. Lighter, warmer, stuffs smaller--the Micro Puff is an all-around improvement to what was already a fine garm...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
November 12, 12:53pm

MSR Titan Kettle
Noting the shape isn't the most efficient for squeezing every btu from the stove, the MSR kettle remains a very good single-pot option. It packs nicely, works well with small to medium stoves, pours w...

In Cookware - Titanium
January 15, 12:17pm

MSR SimmerLite
I find the Whisperlite to be MSR's easiest liquid stove to use, and certainly the nicest to lug, bulk and weight-wise. Simmering performance is best with a light touch on the fuel pump--try using l...

In Stoves - White Gas
December 20, 11:46am

Golite Hex 3
I've used a Hex 2, the 3's somewhat smaller brother, with good success for a few seasons. The quarters are a little snug for six-footers, but it's a minor concern. My main complaint is that the ventil...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
November 28, 8:43pm