BPL Community Profile

Richard Matthews (food) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado Rockies
About Me Orienteering 25+ years.

Xski and done 20+ hut trips

Hiked Colorado Trail and now adopter.

Hiked Wonderland Trail

Summitted 29 14'ers.

40+ nights below the rim in the Grand Canyon. Linked trips to walk from Cameron to Elves Chasm.
CityWheat Ridge
StateColorado

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Matthews

Showing 291 - 300 of 392 | Page: 1 ...21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Forum » Thread

Re: pack cover V internal protection
ian, I don't use either a pack cover or an internal liner and still stay dry in pretty awful weather. Outside is a poncho because it protects your harness and keeps water from running dow...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » pack cover V internal protection
January 05, 11:14am

Re: Re: Warm Drinks
Honey is difficult to carry. Mexican restaurants sometimes have honey packets for sopapillas. I would be very interested in containers to carry bulk honey. Hot Jello is another idea. I hike...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Warm Drinks
January 04, 12:24pm

Re: Rappelling Rope
I have used 7mm rope with a stitch plate to rappel. ATCs, etc. do not create enough friction on that sized rope. A prusik works OK for a single pitch. 50' 7MM ROPE 15.3 oz. 20' 1...

In GEAR » Rappelling Rope
January 04, 11:46am

Re: Warm Drinks
Hot spiced cider, herb tea, hot cocoa. Hey Eric, chai tea is redundant. Like ATM machine.

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Warm Drinks
January 03, 4:25pm

Re: "Normalized" Reader Reviews
I only review gear that I like. I also have a bunch of gear that is OK, but I continue to search for other alternatives. Just human nature to want to talk about our victories and not our ties.

In Community Support Forum » "Normalized" Reader Reviews
January 03, 7:40am

Re: A Do-It-All Water Purifier?
Ben, We were hoping you would get one and write a review. I would be concerned about the filter clogging on anything other than the clearest water. Sucking a golf ball through a garden hose ...

In GEAR » A Do-It-All Water Purifier?
December 30, 12:03pm

Re: Hammock and a GoLite Poncho/Tarp
Hennessy Expedition A-Sym hammock is my primary hammock. The Campmor Ultralite Extension Poncho/Tarp has been a very good replacement fly for the hammock due to the design of the hammock. The f...

In GEAR » Hammock and a GoLite Poncho/Tarp
December 28, 7:18am

Re: Re: WP/B Jacket - 2 oz - Too Good to be True
Ben, I do not care about the color as much as the seams. Seams are subject to leaking and ripping. Seams add weight. I am willing to sacrifice a little fit and fashion to reduce seams.

In GEAR » WP/B Jacket - 2 oz - Too Good to be True???
December 20, 11:10am

hashing
Roman, The Hash House Harriers (commonly abbreviated "HHH" or "H3" and referred to as "The Hash") is a more social version of Hare and Hounds, where one joins a pac...

In Philosophy & Technique » specific Map question:
December 18, 7:38am

NO MAP?
I really enjoy maps and have a long "to do" list of hikes. It does not make sense to take the chance of getting blocked by cliffs/swamps/fight brush on a multiday hike. I travel slow en...

In Philosophy & Technique » specific Map question:
December 17, 5:28am

All Reader Reviews by Richard Matthews

Showing 1 - 10 of 11 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Trail Designs Customer Service
Rand provides better customer service that we have a right to expect. The Caldera Cones are the most fuel efficient that I have used.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
November 26, 3:48pm

zpacks Company
I have purchased packs and pouches and had Joe do some custom sewing. The quality is excellent and the delivery time is great. I mailed him a G4 for some modifications and received it back in 8 da...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 04, 8:23am

Zpacks Blast 32
Blast 32 by Zpack Options and additions: Webbing belt, Sternum strap, Daisy chain on shoulder straps, Base shock cord loops, One shoulder pouch, Shockcord and cordlock water bottle holder on ...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 26, 9:08am

Equinox Silnylon Poncho
I use the extended version sold through Campmor. Recently I did a rainy week long hike with my 74 year old friend. We wore our ponchos at some time every day for a week. When we were coming out we ...

In Clothing - Raingear
January 04, 9:54am

Jacks R Better No Sniveller quilt
I got the No Sniveller and Nest together to use with my hammock. When wearing expedition weight long underwear the quilts will keep me warm to 30 degrees in the hammock. I also use the NS on the g...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
January 03, 3:23pm

Hennessy Hammock Asym
I have used the Hennessy as my primary shelter for 4 years now. The A-Sym design allows a poncho to be used as the fly. The bottom entry allows the fly to be set very close to the hammock. This...

In Shelters - Hammocks & Accessories
January 03, 3:09pm

Gatorade Bottle
I use a cozy made out of CCF pad so that I can shake my hot beverages. The mouth is just wide enough to allow drink mixes to be added without spilling. They fit in a normal bike bottle holster. ...

In Hydration - Water Storage Containers
January 03, 2:37pm

Trangia 28-5 Mini Aluminum Cook Pot
The lid from the AntiGravityGear 3 cup pot fits pretty well on the pot. Pour in a bag meals become monotonous quickly. This set gives me the ability to fry. The skillet works well with the alco...

In Cookware - Other
January 03, 2:27pm

Mary Jane's Farm Sante Fe Pasta
Don't forget Nick's Couch Potatoes, Red Pesto Pasta and Mac & Cheese. Lots of olive oil with all of them. I generally add chopped turkey pepperoni or bacon crumbles.

In Foods - Prepackaged Meals & Side Dishes
August 04, 7:18am

Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo
This tent brings together many of the superior design features from other light weight tents. The basic design is similar to the Dancing Light Gear Tacoma Solo Shelter. The Lunar solo has a very g...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
August 04, 7:08am