November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Tom Lyons (towaly) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Smoky Mtns.
About Me Likes the outdoors.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Lyons

Showing 281 - 290 of 299 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Forum » Thread

I'm also interested in this material, because I have never heard of its existence before.

In GEAR » Seeking advice on shelters made with metalized, reflective cuben fiber material
September 21, 11:16am

I think practice is required with tarps, particularly with getting your pitch suited to your needs. From the sound of things, you probably had that 8x5 Oware tarp pitched just a bit too low, and y...

In GEAR » shelter musings after some experimentation
September 21, 10:27am

Regarding Zebralights, they have a design flaw in the switch of the SC series of pocket lights which has a history of turning on in your pocket, and running the battery dead. If you carry the ligh...

In GEAR » New Zebralights
September 21, 9:57am

Ti Goat pack rifle
I agree that the Titanium Goat Pack Rifle kit for the Crickett .22 rifle is a more effective tool for your purposes. It is "Ultra-Light" and it can go in your pack. I'd like to have...

In Chaff » ultralight revolver
September 21, 6:23am

Looks good!
I like Joe's innovation and practices. He's a talented guy. I need the wide width with the 62" girth for my shoulder size. After looking at the down weights in the bags, I have to ...

In GEAR » Zpacks sleeping bags
September 18, 5:57am

If you use a VBL layer inside your bag, you can use a fully waterproof bivy bag, and not have to worry about any way you turn, as long as you keep your face out of the water.

In GEAR » Bivy for someone who tosses and turns?
September 13, 6:26am

Re: Re: Re: how do you normally sleep?
I just bought a Gold's Gym plastic work-out suit for 8 bucks at WalMart, and it's completely waterproof and has elastic cuffs, waist, and neck. I'll wear it over my polyester base layer...

In GEAR » VBL Sleep System
September 12, 11:38am

Re: how do you normally sleep?
I'm sort of on the cold sleeper side, especially my feet get cold easily. I wouldn't say that I'm extremely cold sleeping, but I tend in that direction. I'm thinking that if I c...

September 12, 11:09am

VBL Sleep System
I will be trying a new sleep system this year, using VBL technology. Here's the idea from inside-to-outside: 1) Close fitting polyester wicking thin base layer. 2) VBL "Sauna Suit&quo...

September 12, 6:17am

Re: Re: Layering
That's true. Everything is a compromise of some sort. But a good WM 20 degree bag is almost $400, and would weigh 2 pounds or more in microfiber, and my layering system can hit the same temps...

In GEAR » Rationalizing sleep gear
September 09, 9:43am

All Reader Reviews by Tom Lyons

Tom Lyons has posted no reviews.