BPL Community Profile

Tim Haynes (timalan) - BPL Guest

My Locale Mid Atlantic
About Me Early 30s, newly married, work in communications with children's hospitals around the country. Relatively new to lightweight philosophies, but excited to learn and teach others.
CityAlexandria
StateVA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListRough Draft gearlist - solo trips

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tim Haynes

Showing 281 - 290 of 306 | Page: 1 ...12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Forum » Thread

While the thread is live...
I'll piggy back on here, if I may. I'm in the opening stages of planning a trip with my dad and two younger brothers for a few days in late July 2010... in/around the San Diego/LA area. Nei...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Need Southern California overnighter suggestions
November 10, 9:23am

Ratio of summer-to-winter weights?
I was tweaking my gear lists, and was wondering how other folks stack up when comparing their summer weight to their winter weight for their gear? Let's not look at consumables, but let'...

In Gear Lists » Ratio of summer-to-winter weights?
November 09, 3:11pm

Re: re: "My 3 season gear"
"Tim, is that picture of you up in the tree adjusting your bear bag...? :-)" John -- hardly -- that's just where I sleep when I'm going ultra-super-light. Trees are comfy, st...

In Gear Lists » My 3 season gear
November 09, 3:00pm

An emergency bivvy, just in case?
If this is your first time on an ultralight/superlight summer trip, depending on where you are going, I'd consider adding a heatsheets emergency bivvy. It's an additional 3.5 oz, but it'...

In Gear Lists » 3 season gear list
November 09, 2:11pm

RE: sleeping bags together
For what it's worth, for most general camping, my girlfriend and I have a pair of Exped Wallcreeper bags... 750-fill down, and the bags are a very different design from anything else on the mar...

In GEAR » What degree sleeping bag do you need?
November 09, 1:02pm

RE: Best Undies
I've tried various synthetics and wool, including the Ex Officios, and have tried running shorts with built in liners... and after everything I've tried, I am most comfortable in Icebreaker...

In GEAR » Best Undies?
November 06, 3:44pm

Re: Tyvek Lab Coat works decently well
Joshua, How much does that lab coat weigh in whatever size you bought? And the price seems ridiculous... tyvek coveralls for less than $6 seem like they are at least worth trying out... and the sh...

In Make Your Own Gear » Tyvek as a tarp?
November 06, 10:49am

Re; Shoes
I love the Montrail Stealths and bought three pairs when I found them on sale earlier this year -- a little insurance against them changing the shoes. Not good for wet weather, but awesome breathab...

In GEAR » Shoe Mania
November 06, 9:49am

RE: camera with AAs
Canon makes several cameras that still use AAs. The Canon PowerShot SX20-IS may be more camera than you are looking for, but it is a 12mp camera that uses 4xAAs, has a 28-560mm 20X zoom and weig...

In Photography » Camera that uses AAs?
November 05, 2:35pm

Re: Heatsheets Bivy
Here's a quick article about the two models Adventure Medical makes: http://gearjunkie.com/adventure-medical-kits-thermo-lite-2-bivvy-heatsheets-bivvy This site has both models on sale fo...

In GEAR » Is there practical efficacy to nesting sleeping bags?
November 05, 1:01pm

All Reader Reviews by Tim Haynes

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Camp Xenon 4
New for spring/summer 2011, I was really excited about the Camp Xenon 4 poles. They looked like the best value/weight option on the market, so I was really excited to try them out. The 120cm poles spe...

In Trekking Poles
October 18, 10:59am

Stoic LTWT Sleeping Pad - short
I recently picked up a pair of these when they were a good price (~$20/each); I usually use Z-Rests, but my wife prefers an inflatable mat, and these fit the bill for cost/weight/value. shape is nicel...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
October 06, 1:56pm

Big Agnes Pumphouse Multi-Use Dry Sack and Pad Pump
I agree with previous reviews that this bag only does one thing well -- put air in your sleeping pad. That said, I bring it along on most trips with friends, and it makes it easier for many people -- ...

In Miscellaneous Products
March 09, 10:48am