BPL Community Profile

Scott Bentz (scottbentz) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me I live in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. I can get to a lot of nice hiking areas right from my street or travel for 15 minutes to higher elevations in the Angeles National Forrest. I started packing again with my sons in their Boy Scout troop. I was definitely not light that first trip 6 years ago and have been reducing my pack weight ever since. I mainly pack a few times a year in the Eastern and Western Sierras.
My PDF Gear ListNorth Lake South Lake 2012

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Scott Bentz

Showing 281 - 290 of 426 | Page: 1 ...20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ...43

Forum » Thread

Cook in a cup
I still like the method we used at Philmont. We heated 2 pots of water using canister stoves. When the water got to a boil we first sanitized our utensils and cups, then each kid transferred their ...

In Gear Lists » Philmont gear selection..
May 20, 12:16pm

Lightweight & Scouts
I have found that scouts will naturally practice lightweight skills without even knowing it. The only problem is they carry a heavy load to accomplish it. What do I mean? Kids (with moms in the ...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Father/son getting started
May 15, 10:59am

Rain in Sierras
I do my long trips almost exclusively in the Sierras. I would never have some sort of minimal rain protection. For me it is reasonable to take along Dri Ducks and a tarp. I have had heavy rains, li...

In GEAR » Rain protection on JMT?
May 14, 11:16am

Bivy
" I've seen my buddy's bivy, and it seems waaaay to confining for me. " Well, it can be confining if you look at it that way. However, if you really think about it, it is quit...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » New Lightweight Convert...
May 12, 3:46pm

Suggestions
You are right on in trying to lighten 2 of the most important items in your arsenal: Your pack and your shelter. Lots of choices in those areas. Naturally, the next one would be your sleep system. ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » New Lightweight Convert...
May 12, 10:12am

Pliers
I've used pliers many more times on a hike than I have a knife. Nice for gripping poles, fixing packs, etc. Someone always has a knife. Not many carry even a small plier.

In GEAR » Pliers, scissors, locking blade
May 12, 10:01am

Cheating
"Evan: Would you feel the same if the pounder first aid kit and 2 pounder survival kit were the required equipment?" We could say that about anything. Boots, tents, hiking poles, etc....

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Bear Can Cheating?
May 11, 8:57am

Thanks for input
First of all, I only want to send my food vacuum packaged to the location where I pick it up at either Vermillion or Muir Ranch. Naturally, I would take it out of the vacuum bags at that point. Als...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Shipping Food to the JMT
May 09, 3:12pm

Megalite
Brad, For some reason i cannot respond to you in PM. I'm okay with what you suggested. Let me know how to send payment. Try to PM me through BPL to see if it works. Scott

In Gear Swap » FS: WM Megalite w/overfill
May 09, 3:08pm

Shipping Food to the JMT
I am starting my JMT hike in August with a group of 5. We will resupply at Vermillion and Muir Ranch. I always repackage my food for my hikes to cut down on waste, bulk and weight. The problem ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Shipping Food to the JMT
May 08, 3:32pm

All Reader Reviews by Scott Bentz

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

MSR MIOX
We used a MSR Miox on a trip with 9 people (Scouts). We got very spotty results and ended up playing with the unit more than we wanted. It seemed like the perfect solution but was not worth the wait. ...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
June 03, 5:04pm