BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 281 - 290 of 1577 | Page: 1 ...20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ...158

Forum » Thread

Re: Neck sounds good to me
Alpacka offers a three year warranty on the packrafting suit. If it leaks during this perioed, you can send it back to the factory and they will repair or replace it. With its light weight weight ...

In Packrafting » Alpacka Dry Suits
August 16, 9:54am

Re: Alpacka Dry Suits
Dan, They are using a Pertex WPB and backing it with the same three year warranty they offer on their rafts. The detailed specs are: 53 g/m2 with 15 denier nylon ripstop; 2.5 layer construction;...

In Packrafting » Alpacka Dry Suits
July 26, 12:36am

Re: Re: re: Montane Minimus SMOCK - 143 grams
Nicholas, You correctly referenced the numbers provided in the recent Polartec marketing literature. I lab tested a few eVent jackets last year; the light-face-fabric versions averaged .54 CFM a...

In GEAR » Montane Minimus SMOCK - 143 grams
July 21, 6:51pm

Re: Re: Wraith Breathability
The current Wraith spec, quoted by its Product Manager, is MUCH less than what I tested on the last five Houdini model years. I haven't tested the 2012 Houdini. See the the Backcountry.com ...

In GEAR » Windshirt suggestions?
July 14, 1:37pm

Re: Re: My test failed
Many years back a dog trainer, who was an active forum member, did a series of odor blocking tests using different bags. The OP Sak was the only one the dogs couldn't smell the contents of.

In GEAR » Opsak test
June 18, 4:40pm

Re: Wrist watch GPS+
Yesterday I talked to a kayaking and winter survival guide that has been using this model for a month. He couldn't stop raving about it. See http://www.suunto.com/us/product-families/suunto-ambit

In GEAR » Wrist watch GPS
June 07, 11:47pm

Re: Re: $50K for WPB testing doesn't buy much
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=434540

In Editor's Roundtable » Rain Pants State of the Market Report
June 05, 8:23am

Re: Limited lifespan for silnylon?
Piper, Yes. Other than Shield from Thru-Hiker, every retail DIY silnylon that I have tested is less than the threshold for rain proof at 1,500 mm when new. It only gets worse since wet flex degr...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Limited lifespan for silnylon?
June 04, 11:02am

Re: Re: Bob Marshall Wilderness Open – Eccentric But Not Insane
Dan, Congratulations on your achievement and thank for sharing with an excellent trip report. Just curious, if you rafted where possible would have there been a requirement for an aggressive ...

In Post-Trip Reports » Bob Marshall Wilderness Open – Eccentric But Not Insane
June 01, 10:50pm

$50K for WPB testing doesn't buy much
William, No single test type, such as breathability, will allow you to understand which is the BEST option for ultra-light backpacking. The problem is FAR more complex than what $50K of test equ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Rain Pants State of the Market Report
June 01, 2:15pm

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm