BPL Community Profile

Randy Martin (randalmartin) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado
About Me My primary pursuits are mountaineering (hiking with the goal of a summit) but I am beginning to re-kindle my love of Backpacking. In particular I have become a big fan of the Ultralight approach and love this website. I seem to be in a perpetual state of shelter/sleep system evaluation. My current setup for shelter is a GG SpinnTwinn with YMG Bug Bivy 1.0 (summer) or Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy(colder). Sleep system is Katabatic Chisos 40 degree quilt with Neoair short.
CityCastle Rock
StateCO
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Randy Martin

Showing 281 - 290 of 654 | Page: 1 ...20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ...66

Forum » Thread

Online References
There are a number of online references you may want to check out http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/manual/mapcompass.shtml I particularly like this one http://www.learn-orienteering.org/old/

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Info Wanted: Best introductory books on learning Solid MAP AND COMPASS skills for the backcountry
October 26, 9:48pm

Re: Winter layering
"What initiated this thread was that old RJ article describing a 3 layer system consisting of vapor-rise, softshell jacket, and large synthetic puffy. Got me wondering if I was missing somethi...

In Winter Hiking » What is your winter layering system?
October 25, 2:18pm

Cuben Twinn?
I saw a recent blog post by Glen at GG where he used a CubenTwinn here http://gossamergear.com/wp/buzz-blog/sub-5-in-the-wiemenuche I asked him in the comments section about the weight and wheth...

In GEAR » Spinnaker stops spinning
October 25, 7:52am

Re: Spinnaker stops spinning
Yeah, I was one of the ones that bought the last iteration of the SpinnTwinn. I love it and it doesn't leak so I am not sending it back. The new fabric that Gossamer Gear is testing will be h...

In GEAR » Spinnaker stops spinning
October 23, 3:46pm

Re: Leave no trace
I completely agree with Tim.

In Editor's Roundtable » Tarp Camping Techniques for Inclement Conditions
October 18, 11:18am

Re: gloves/mittens
Actually Mittens over gloves makes a lot of sense. Generally you want to pull off the mittens when you need to do something with your hands that requires more dexterity without completely exposing...

In GEAR » gloves/mittens
October 17, 2:13pm

+1 on Snow Peak Double Wall 450 titanium cup
Aluminum is a terrible choice for keeping things hot. Nothing worse than making a hot drink and having the last half of the cup be cold by the time you drink it. Titanium is durable and light, ju...

In GEAR » Lightweight Coffee Cup Recommendations Please
October 12, 8:45am

Re: US Healthcare Spending - Who Pays?
The notion that everyone is entitled to extraordinary world class healthcare where multimillion dollar machines are deployed in every hospital is not sustainable. The level of healthcare that is s...

In Chaff » US Healthcare Spending - Who Pays?
October 09, 11:58pm

Bitterroot hood
I would echo the earlier comment "in my experience, the hood in the bitterroot was major disappointment - just too big and unwieldy considering that it is nonadjustable" I was in the G...

In Editor's Roundtable » Down Jacket Shoot-out: GoLite Bitterroot vs. Rab Infinity
October 07, 10:39pm

Enlightened Equipment
I would seriously take a look at Enlightened Equipment Quilts. The prodigy line uses Climashield APEX synthetic insulation and is priced very nicely. They do great work from all of the rave revie...

In GEAR » Help me build a 3-season synthetic sleep system
September 28, 9:53am

All Reader Reviews by Randy Martin

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Gear Bristlecone (Regular Length, Wide Width)
I have had the Bristlecone Bivy for a year and really appreciate the side zipper for ease of entry/exit. The mesh is just right for breathability and views. The stake out loops are nice when you wan...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
May 15, 6:03pm

Marmot Atom
The bag is true to it's 40 degree rating and when I sleep with insulating layers on I have comfortably slept in this bag down to the upper 20's. If you are cold in this bag at 50 then I suspe...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
May 31, 1:59pm