BPL Community Profile

Randy Martin (randalmartin) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado
About Me My primary pursuits are mountaineering (hiking with the goal of a summit) but I am beginning to re-kindle my love of Backpacking. In particular I have become a big fan of the Ultralight approach and love this website. I seem to be in a perpetual state of shelter/sleep system evaluation. My current setup for shelter is a GG SpinnTwinn with YMG Bug Bivy 1.0 (summer) or Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy(colder). Sleep system is Katabatic Chisos 40 degree quilt with Neoair short.
CityCastle Rock
StateCO
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Randy Martin

Showing 281 - 290 of 641 | Page: 1 ...20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ...65

Forum » Thread

5x8 Half Pyramid is constraining in Rain
I was fortunate to have had some experience with my GoLite poncho tarp in rain last year and quickly came to the conclusion that it doesn't work well when raining when pitched in a half pyramid...

In GEAR » setting up Golite poncho tarp
September 22, 11:18am

Re: Another Jacket to compare……….
I wouldn't call the Hooded Flash a comparable jacket. It only has 3oz fill weight, which is less than half that of the Rab and just about half of the Bitterroot. So they most certainly would ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Down Jacket Shoot-out: GoLite Bitterroot vs. Rab Infinity
September 13, 6:52am

Lightning ascents for mountaineering
I would get the Lightning Ascents if you are planning to use for alpine ascents (think mixed rock, snow). If you will be doing primarily snowshoeing on mild terrain then get something else with mo...

In Winter Hiking » msr snowshoes -- evo vs lightning
September 12, 4:08pm

Good thread on Tarp pitching
Here is a thread that should get you started. I used this thread over a year ago to help when i was getting into tarping. http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thre...

In GEAR » newbie Tarp pitching inquiry
September 11, 3:59pm

Call Aaron
I would call Aaron at Katabatic. He will be the best person to answer your question

In GEAR » Deciding on the amount of overfill (Katabatic Sawatch)
September 10, 2:38am

Consider the Terrain
If I am going to be on a trail then I use my trailrunners, however, in the summer I am often on scree and talus because I am climbing mountains here in Colorado. I find the ankle protection from t...

In GEAR » Has anyone gone back to wearing boots after trying shoes?
September 07, 2:19pm

Re: How fast to you hike?
In the summer I do a lot of hiking/climbing for summits (13ers/14ers here in Colorado). Those tend to involve grades of about 1/1 (1 mile+1000ft of elevation). I can average 2mph on a grade like ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How fast to you hike?
September 06, 9:14pm

Re: Re: Opsack + bear canister to avoid bear run ins and to increase safety.
No Bear Canisters are definitely not smell proof and yes putting contents in an Opsack first is absolutely a good idea. The Opsack is a mandatory piece of gear in my opinion because it is your fir...

In GEAR » Opsack + bear canister to avoid bear run ins and to increase safety.
September 06, 5:37pm

WTB Shock Cord
What is a good place to purchase lightweight shock cord?

In Make Your Own Gear » WTB Shock Cord
September 05, 12:46pm

2 lbs for a Bivy!!
Why would want to buy a Bivy that weighs 2lbs? You can have a full 1p tent for that weight and for the same or less price no less and a have a lot more room. What am I missing?

In GEAR » Uber Bivy or Nemo Gogo?
September 05, 9:50am

All Reader Reviews by Randy Martin

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Gear Bristlecone (Regular Length, Wide Width)
I have had the Bristlecone Bivy for a year and really appreciate the side zipper for ease of entry/exit. The mesh is just right for breathability and views. The stake out loops are nice when you wan...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
May 15, 6:03pm

Marmot Atom
The bag is true to it's 40 degree rating and when I sleep with insulating layers on I have comfortably slept in this bag down to the upper 20's. If you are cold in this bag at 50 then I suspe...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
May 31, 1:59pm