BPL Community Profile

Randy Martin (randalmartin) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado
About Me My primary pursuits are mountaineering (hiking with the goal of a summit) but I am beginning to re-kindle my love of Backpacking. In particular I have become a big fan of the Ultralight approach and love this website. I seem to be in a perpetual state of shelter/sleep system evaluation. My current setup for shelter is a GG SpinnTwinn with YMG Bug Bivy 1.0 (summer) or Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy(colder). Sleep system is Katabatic Chisos 40 degree quilt with Neoair short.
CityCastle Rock
StateCO
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Randy Martin

Showing 281 - 290 of 605 | Page: 1 ...20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ...61

Forum » Thread

Re: Steripen questions - sterilizing the threads of water bottle?
I have cutoff the very top of a one liter Aquafina bottle. It is my scoop and treatment container. So I scoop and treat in the Aquafina and pour into my drinking container. I don't use Nalge...

In GEAR » Steripen questions - sterilizing the threads of water bottle?
August 15, 8:09am

Tarp Camping Questions and Concerns
Of course cowboy camping in a sleeping bag does provide quite a bit of protection with a headnet. A quilt doesn't offer that same protection. So either your ok with the risk of crawling bugs,...

In GEAR » Tarp Camping Questions and Concerns
August 14, 4:26pm

Bug Bivy
If crawling bugs are your concern then I would suggest a Bug Bivy to accompany your Tarp. Something like one of the following MLD Bug Bivy http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_inf...

In GEAR » Tarp Camping Questions and Concerns
August 14, 3:07pm

Re: What's all this bitching?
Agree completely with Matthew Edwards page 1 post. All of you that don't want to pay should not renew and move on. The near constant whining about some service you were promised but not deliv...

In Chaff » The I used to be a member but now I'm not celebration thread.
August 13, 10:35pm

Conejos Peak
For those that are in to peaks as a side trip, Conejos Peak 13,172ft, looks to be a relatively easy up and down hike from your second campsite. For those that may be interested in Conejos Peak a...

In Post-Trip Reports » South Fork Conejos River Semiloop
August 13, 12:55pm

Beautiful Area that I have my eyes on
Thanks for sharing your trip. I have had plans to do that loop since last year and have my map all ready to go and just trying to find the right time to do it. I am thinking some time in late Sep...

In Post-Trip Reports » South Fork Conejos River Semiloop
August 13, 11:54am

Breathability?
Hmm...I have to say that it doesn't look very breathable. If it's going to rain I would prefer a design that allows maximum venting in vertical rain and only close up the shelter fully in ...

In GEAR » World's Lightest Tent?
August 12, 10:38pm

Sleep Aid
Try a sleep aid, Melatonin if you want something more natural. I also find two other things have helped me, 1] Ear Plugs or listening to music from iPod 2] Pulling my buff half way down my fac...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » backcountry insomnia
August 07, 11:48pm

Re: The lightest footprint of all
Bob, I think the discussion is more for people that use Tarps where there is no floor and therefore a ground cloth/sheet can be useful vs nothing. Agreed for Tents with a floor there is no need.

In GEAR » tyvek vs polycro as ground cloth for rocky Sierra camp site.
August 01, 10:01am

Re: Baselayer
Sorry, I missed your last post about the location/timing of your use. Having said that, while a mid-weight may be ok for September in the Alpine (when lows will be in the 30's and high's i...

In GEAR » Suggestions on baselayer?
August 01, 9:04am

All Reader Reviews by Randy Martin

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Gear Bristlecone (Regular Length, Wide Width)
I have had the Bristlecone Bivy for a year and really appreciate the side zipper for ease of entry/exit. The mesh is just right for breathability and views. The stake out loops are nice when you wan...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
May 15, 6:03pm

Marmot Atom
The bag is true to it's 40 degree rating and when I sleep with insulating layers on I have comfortably slept in this bag down to the upper 20's. If you are cold in this bag at 50 then I suspe...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
May 31, 1:59pm