Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

John Whynot (jdw01776) - BPL Guest

My Locale Southeast Texas
About Me Hiking and backpacking (on and off) since 1976, mainly in the northeastern United States.
CityHouston
StateTX
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Whynot

Showing 281 - 290 of 557 | Page: 1 ...20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ...56

Forum » Thread

Re: Gear List Critique
Not that it would save much weight but I'd leave the following at home: Jetboil Tripod MSR Packlite (use your Buff instead) Spare Batteries You could swap the Tyvek ground sheet for po...

In Gear Lists » Gear List Critique
August 07, 8:19pm

Re: write in rain notebook question
I use a Rite in the Rain mini notebook and a Sharpie micro permanent marker. I keep important contact numbers and other notes in it...

In GEAR » write in rain notebook question
August 07, 8:01pm

Re: get a scale
+1 on this You really need to invest in a scale before spending any money on new equipment. Make a list of everything you currently carry or wear, then weigh it all, and record the weights. T...

In Gear Lists » $300 to invest New To Backpacking Light Here's my Traditional gear list
August 05, 11:13am

Re: Evernew bottle cap compatibility
I use an Evernew cap on a Smartwater 1 liter bottle -- I believe this is a standard thread size. The end result is a very light 1 liter bottle with an attached cap that won't get lost. I wi...

In GEAR » Evernew bottle cap compatibility
August 05, 9:00am

Re: New to backpacking
I been backpacking in the following areas close to Austin and San Antonio: Pedernales Falls State Park Hill Country State Natural Area Lost Maples State Natural Area Enchanted Rock State Natura...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » New to backpacking
August 03, 2:57pm

Re: Custom Made Outdoor Clothing??
I've never used them, but have only heard good things about Specialty Outdoors. Not only repairs and modifications, but also custom work...

In GEAR » Custom Made Outdoor Clothing??
July 25, 7:52am

Re: Bridge gone
I'm also assuming your 2 lunches is lunch for the entire trip, as the huts don't provide a trail lunch. They may have soup/baked goods for sale during the day, and energy bars and candy are...

In Gear Lists » Hybrid loop in the Whites (NH)
July 23, 10:58am

Re: Hybrid loop in the Whites (NH)
>Second night at Franconia Brook tentsite in the Pemi Don't know what your planned route is but FYI the suspension bridge, which crosses the East Branch of the Pemigewasset River about a ha...

In Gear Lists » Hybrid loop in the Whites (NH)
July 23, 10:45am

Re: MH Quark
I bought a MH Quark in 2008 to replace a Precip. I found the fit of the Quark to be a bit odd. Snug body, long baggy sleeves, and big floppy hood. I also didn't find it to be very waterp...

In GEAR » Best Sub-10 oz rain jacket
July 22, 8:44pm

Re: Re: Eaglesmere
Dondo: I'm planning on a day-hike to Mount Sopris, and then spending some time at Capitol and Avalanche Lakes...

In Post-Trip Reports » Eaglesmere
July 18, 3:36pm

All Reader Reviews by John Whynot

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

StickPic camera mount
A clever, well-engineered, and lightweight (0.35 ounces by my scale) gadget for mounting a camera on the tip of a trekking pole. Should work with any compact camera with a tripod socket. Works ver...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
June 16, 10:55am

BPL Thorofare Trekking Pants
I purchased these as a replacement for my overbuilt Montbell Stretch Windpants. The fabric of the Trekking pants is a microgrid ripstop nylon, with a slightly textured inner surface. Size medium...

In Clothing - Raingear
December 07, 8:31pm